Do we want a 250+ ping kicker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we want a 250+ ping kicker?

I've fixed the threshold at 250 for the sake of the poll, to avoid the ambiguity of "high".

Playing against someone with a 250+ ping sucks. A lot. Removing your friends from the server sucks (when everything is automated and it's your friend with a 250+ ping). Excluding other continents sucks (I've seen distant folks come in under 250, but it's not guaranteed).

Do we want a 250+ ping kicker?
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    40.00%

The poll is expired.

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Do we want a 250+ ping kicker?

I'm voting no but I am saying yes to kicking for 300+ ping.
    250 would include aussies (usually see them in the 200-250 range) and i'm OK with that. I don't think they'd pop up too much outside of weekends anyways.

Comment

Is this actually a problem?
      I don't often see too many high ping players... And also, how often would the ping be checked?
      Keep in mind that the first couple seconds anyone load, they will be in the high 999 ping range until everything settles. As well, there can be occasions where someone may spike up for one reason or another.

Furthermore, while it sucks to play against high pingers... is the game actually any fun for the person /with/ the high ping?
      I would imagine most players that manage to make their way into the server with a high ping will realize they have a high ping and generally leave of their own accord.

I would put my vote at no, simply because it feels too easy for such a system to boot the wrong people.

Comment

Tried to play on a German server that had this (set to kick above 150 mind you). Assuming it is the same code your average ping has to be above the threshold for a given period of time (or so the message informing me of my impending kick said). I had more than enough time to get into the game, join a team and chomp a marine before I was removed. There are often European players around later in the evenings thought they arein the 120-170 ping range. Aussies don't have many servers of their own so many of them do play on NA servers at times.

Comment

I think you should just add a rule that says you can be kicked for having a consistently high ping to the point where it is uncomfortable for the majority of the other players, and add that as a reason under the admin kick menu.

Comment

I dont think we need a ping kicker, but it would be nice if the mod/plugin could warn the player to take notice that their high ping is an issue with others game play

If an admin is on and notices eratic movement, I would think it would be under their discretion to point the problem out and see if there is anyway to resolve the issue while the player is connected.

If the player does not respond or cannot/will not fix the high ping, they can be pointed to the forums as usual before been disconnected.
            Last edited by vts; 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM. Reason: dup word :)

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

I can't see a difference between admin being given permission to kick for excessive pings and a mod to do this for us. In fact, a mod would be better because it would prove more efficient than admin.

I'm sure Wyz isn't going to implement something that will kick someone without ample time and explanation before doing so. I think a ping kicker is a great idea, and I think 250+ is a great number. 200 is really when the warping starts to show up profoundly, and 250+ is borderline lag switch.

Mom
              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
              Forever Perplexed

Comment

I vote no, I used to have 40 ping pretty constant on server....now I'm constantly between 100-160.

Comment

mine seems higher also as of late. if this did come in would it be instant kick if it reaches the 250? i know for some reason mine spikes up to 600-700 then back down in a few seconds. happens every now and then. would that be an instant kick?
                  Would suck to pay for a membership and not be able to play on the server.

I think when i first saw this post i voted yes. but in fact i would like to vote NO
                  Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I don't think it would be a kick for a spike, it would likely kick in after X amount of time (30 seconds? 2 continuous minutes with the player's average ping about X level?).

And as a side note, my ping has gone up quite a bit over the past few weeks too. About the same amount of difference as mirage- I used to sit pretty at about 15-20, and hover at about 70-80 now. In my case, obviously not a major problem, but it might be worth notice if the ping has gone up universally.

Comment

Don't really see the need for it personally. I rarely see pings 250ms+ on the server outside of the occasional anomalous ping hiccup.
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I'm very against this.

Tabbing out slams ping to 999 until return.

Ping is unimportant for every role except skulk/lerk/JP marine. Ever heard someone complain that an Ono's, gorge, or commander was jumping around?

Don't swear at anyone.
                        Be respectful.
                        Your team comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by mmetully View Post
                          Ever heard someone complain that an Ono's, gorge, or commander was jumping around?
                          Its happend to me before when an onos lags, standing in the same spot for an age and its anoying when you dont have enough ammo to kill him while he is lagged out :P

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Not to mention, there are plenty of "laggers" whose ping never goes above 150.

Comment

I would be in support of an automatic LAG> tag and permission to moderate LAG> taggers with warnings and the like.

It also offers players the opportunity to self moderate.

Note: Self moderation comes with potential for cohort harassment.

Don't swear at anyone.
                              Be respectful.
                              Your team comes first.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse