sh_specmode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sh_specmode

sh_specmode lets you specify whose communications you see and hear when spectating.

Usage:

sh_specmode <0|1|2|3|4|5|6>

That is, pass a parameter that's a number between 0 and 5 inclusive.

0 = See spectator chat advisories and hear voicecomm of all players on the server (default)
    1 = Hide feature chat advisories and hear voicecomm of only Marines
    2 = Hide feature chat advisories and hear voicecomm of only Aliens
    3 = Hide feature chat advisories and hear voicecomm of only Marines or Aliens
    4 = Hide feature chat advisories and hear voicecomm of only Spectators
    5 = Hide feature chat advisories and hear no voicecomm of anyone
    6 = TOGGLE: Prioritize Spectator voices over all others (see "SVI" note below)

Alternatively, you may easily select any option by choosing "Spec Voicecomms" from the admin menu.

Changes are remembered across mapchanges.

Along with voicecomm, the team chat of Ready Room, Marines, and/or Aliens will be displayed to you as a Spectator based on which mode you specify (default: you see all team chats).

Regardless of this setting, you as a Spectator will always see Spectator team chat (different from the "spectator chat advisories" mentioned above, which are basically automated chat spam that educate you on how to use sh_specmode).

SVI: "Spectator Voicecomm Interruptions", when toggled on, mutes the non-Spectator voices you're hearing when you're a Spectator and another Spectator speaks.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 09-21-2015, 09:47 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: sh_specmode

This should be working well, based on our testing tonight.

Only thing to suggest is the wording for mode 3 - [only -> both] Marines [or -> and] Aliens.
    I feel this makes it clearer that you will hear /both/ teams in mode 3, instead of the more confusing 'or' which makes it seem like only one or the other team can be heard.

Edit:
    Also note the behavior of other voice comms from RR and other Spectators.

Comment

I'll keep the "only" and go with "and".

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
      Edit:
      Also note the behavior of other voice comms from RR and other Spectators.
      Is this directed at me? I didn't follow. Can you clarify?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
        Is this directed at me? I didn't follow. Can you clarify?
        Ha, it's what I get for trying to come up with coherent messages at 3 in the morning.

It was directed at both you and general readers; To remind you to add in what happens to RR and spec voice comm in the various modes, and for everyone else to realize that the modes will affect who you can hear.

Comment

As a spectator, there's now only one sh_specmode value which allows you to hear other spectators and ready room folks: the default, which is 0. All other values prevent you from hearing other spectators and ready room players (when you're spectator).

I can continue to develop this mod if we need to change its definition, after experiencing it.

Comment

I've added '5' as another mode.

Comment

Keep in mind that while there are quite a lot of options and parameters to remember, these can also be accessed via a very simple to use button on everyone's "M" menu.
              For most spectators, modes 0 and 4 will be the most common modes to pick, as that allows you to converse with fellow spectators.

Comment

Bah! Great point! I've added mention of the menu to the first post. That really makes consuming this feature easy.

Comment

Please make mode 4 a toggle instead of a mode.

Listening to teams and listening to spectators are two different concepts that would in a mode settings require a seperate mode.

ie.
                  Marines only w/spec
                  Marines only w/o spec
                  Aliens only w/spec
                  Aliens only w/o spec
                  etc.

The decision to listen to spec or not should be unaffected by which team you are listening to especially so co-casting can happen locally instead of requiring external voip. For non-caster spectation being able to chat while you wait, etc.
                  Last edited by mmetully; 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM. Reason: note: Edited after dark's post, probably should have just made a new post.

Don't swear at anyone.
                  Be respectful.
                  Your team comes first.

Comment

*Double post because tapatalk doesn't have ability to edit.*
                    Last edited by mmetully; 11-05-2013, 01:26 PM.

Don't swear at anyone.
                    Be respectful.
                    Your team comes first.

Comment

Funny you mention that, Tully; I did suggest this function before, but we figured it was good enough to have all the modes available as buttons in the menu, which in effect makes them all toggles to some extent.
                      M > Spec Voicecomms > [All] / [Specs Only]

Alternatively, I've bound all the modes into my numpad for easy access during streaming/casting, so I just hit some numbers to toggle the mode I want.
                      bind NumPad1 "sh_specmode 1" etc.

Comment

I second Tully's suggestion to enable listening to either team and spectator at the same time. It kind of stinks that you can't talk to your fellow spectators while listening in on just 1 team. Listening in on both teams gets a bit hard to follow. Plus, if you have two people streaming/casting, you could have one listening to aliens while the other listens to marines, and they could both be providing commentary with each other.

Perhaps we could break it out into three commands:

sh_specalien [0/1] - toggle alien voice
                        sh_specmarine [0/1] - toggle marine voice
                        sh_spec[spec?] [0/1] - toggle spectator voice

Comment

Double post

Comment

As a spectator, you can now read the team chat of any team whose voicecomm you're hearing based on your sh_specmode (default remains 0, so you'll hear voicecomm and read team chat of all players on the server). When viewing RR team chat as Spectator, the location displayed in the chat line is "Ready Room" (so as to differentiate from team chat of fellow spectators, which shows no location at all -- same as what you'll see when you and the chatting player are in the RR).

I've updated OP accordingly.

Regardless of your sh_specmode setting, you as a Spectator will always see Spectator team chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                              As a spectator, you can now read the team chat of any team whose voicecomm you're hearing...
                              I like this addition. Could specs also see concede votes if it's not much trouble to add?
                              aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X