No announcement yet.

faster empty mapcycle in response to "file not found" and "mods not loaded"

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faster empty mapcycle in response to "file not found" and "mods not loaded"

What I've done:

I've told the server to mapchange, when it's empty, every couple of minutes. This will allow faster automated recovery when Steam Workshop falls down.

Why I've done it:

Steam Workshop is the mechanism by which mods are loaded on the server. Mods are hosted in Steam Workshop, the server is told which to fetch, and it runs them only after it pulls each down from the Steam Workshop.

Remarkably, there is no option for hosting locally on the server the mods which it needs at runtime. They're /cached/ locally, but the dependency on Steam Workshop is required, not optional or configurable.

Shine, TGNS, and our custom maps are all Steam Workshop mods. If I screw something up w/ server config, and one of those doesn't download, our beloved server falls down in various ways.

If I've screwed up nothing, but Steam Workshop doesn't answer when the server calls, similar symptoms manifest themselves. We can't connect, because the custom map isn't there ("file not found" is what we see), or we /can/ connect, but it's suddenly a vanilla server ("mods not loaded" is what we say to each other).

If it's my fault, I'm around and I'll typically fix it quickly. A simple mapchange typically won't help if it's my fault.

If it's Steam Workshop's fault, I'm typically /not/ around, but a simple mapchange gives the server another chance at calling out to the Steam Workshop. Maybe it'll answer.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: faster empty mapcycle in response to "file not found" and "mods not loaded"

Requiring to download from Steam workshop... sounds like a security measure to me.

Re: faster empty mapcycle in response to "file not found" and "mods not loaded"

Good ol' Steam... making it harder and harder to pirate (and unfortunately play games legally) daily.

Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
      Forever Perplexed

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed