"P>" requires 10 full games; "A>" requires 40 full games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "P>" requires 10 full games; "A>" requires 40 full games

To create a better overall experience for everyone on the server, the admins have decided to raise players' familiarity with the server, its regulars, and its rules before bestowing certain rights.

Signing the Primer is no longer sufficient to have the "P" (and associated privileges). In addition, a player must have played >= 10 full games on the server.

The existing 15-game requirement for Guardian has been raised to 40 games (anyone may opt-in to Guardian at any time, but only players w/ >= 40 full games played on the server are considered for selection).

Please report defects.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 11-07-2013, 05:29 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

re: "P>" requires 10 full games; "A>" requires 40 full games

By design, a player can't see how many games he's played.

If you like the server, sign the Primer. When you've been playing long enough, the P will just show up.

If you like the rules (on Day 1, even, right after signing the Primer), opt-in for Guardian. When you've been playing long enough, the A will just show up.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Nice work
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Guardians requiring more games makes quite a bit of sense. So does the P> requiring more, but I do see one potential snag: what counts as a completed game?

If non P>'s need 20 full games (or need to be present for the end of 20 games), I could see it being potentially a bit too difficult to reach that number, considering how the reserved slots work. When I first played as a stranger on the server in January, I remember that I was lucky to get 10 minutes of gameplay in at times, let alone being present for the conclusion of a game. Granted, NS2 was much 'busier' overall at the time, but I still feel like the number may be a bit high. Maybe 10 games instead?

Comment

That's a good point. I'll adjust to 10. If it returns to 20, I'll announce.

Comment

Oh, and to your question: your being present at both the start and end of a game is what counts.

Comment

Got it, thanks for the clarification! Just wanted to ensure that I'm able to give accurate information to non-primer signers and those awaiting the P> upgrade.

Comment

Full admins can see the full game count for any player, so anyone thinking they're not being included given the new rules may use the Contact an Admin forum to seek help.

Also, if you're already opted into Guardian, you needn't do that again, whatever your full game count.

Comment

Re: "P>" requires 10 full games; "A>" requires 40 full games

I've edited the thread's title and OP to cite 10 full games for "P>" (instead of the original 20).

Comment

Good ideas in theory, but honestly... What purpose does it serve?

We aren't getting a deluge of primer signers as it is. Like... One a day? Two? I guess I have only been active on a singular weekend thus far on the forums. Making them play here more to gain a status after jumping the first set of hurdles isn't a big deal and it will increase the complexity of giving people benefits for taking the time to read our rules.

Also, what about instead the requirement for guardian was making 5 posts on the forums? Encourages reading the forums at the very least. Will create some poor posts, but a poor post is better than no posts.

Don't swear at anyone.
                    Be respectful.
                    Your team comes first.

Comment

I think the Guardian status should be a little bit more guarded than it is now. I've had times where I've had to tell other A's what the rules were (ie. no f4ing). Right now, it seems SOME people (NOT all, not even most... but SOME) have opted in just for the heck of it... or perhaps the extra powers it provides (ie changemap).

I don't have any ideas right now as to what should be done about this... :( Just figured I'd bring it up and see what you guys think.

Comment

I think rare cases, if they are rare, should be handled by chatting with those people individually, and not by code. But its good to report if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by mmetully View Post
                          Good ideas in theory, but honestly... What purpose does it serve?

We aren't getting a deluge of primer signers as it is. Like... One a day? Two? I guess I have only been active on a singular weekend thus far on the forums. Making them play here more to gain a status after jumping the first set of hurdles isn't a big deal and it will increase the complexity of giving people benefits for taking the time to read our rules.

Also, what about instead the requirement for guardian was making 5 posts on the forums? Encourages reading the forums at the very least. Will create some poor posts, but a poor post is better than no posts.
                          If you look at the amount of primer signers over a period of time it averages out to about a signer a day. Obviously the landscape of the membership changes over time as some people play less and others play more, but the main thing to remember is that the membership grows. In keeping with how much our membership grows, the leadership at TG feels that it is in the best interest of the TG community to start being more stringent in who represents their self as a guardian. If you're not sure what qualities are beholden to a guardian, I suggest you re-read the guardian thread in what TG leadership expects to be the face of the TG community.

Rather than completely restrict guardianship to those only TG leadership sees fitting, we feel that any member should have the opportunity to step forth and become a guardian if they so choose. Our faith in the community is strong to the extent that the membership has individuals that will help moderate itself and we feel those individuals should be allowed to help. Having said that, becoming a guardian may prove daunting to some but in the grand scheme of things any individual has the same shot if they prove themselves fitting. TG leadership feels that 40 games on the server is a proper length of time that said individual would have the awareness necessary to recognize policies, procedures, and other players to know how to let certain things go and correct others.

Earning that P is a feat already accomplished to many on these boards. When we see new people with the P, often I hear "who is that guy"; in reality if you play enough on the server you'll recognize the new P right away and congratulate them on joining the membership. This is the type of congratulatory feeling we want new and old members alike to achieve when they play on the servers and not the derogatory "who are you?"; that P is a badge of honor and should be worn proudly.

Obviously we cannot create a rule for every scenario, the admins will handle the rare cases, but the TG leadership feels these time limits are an accurate measure of those both willing and fitting of the TG membership.

Comment

There is certainly a lack of action from our Guardians. I haven't seen so much a lack of understanding of rules.

I, personally, like to lean more towards a tier based system for Guardians. We rely on them to police our server, so I think that we need a certain level of oversight for these people to make sure they understand what their role is. I, myself, have hesitated to act on rule infraction during a game because I was Lerking and didn't want to relieve pressure on Marines or something of the sort. What it boils down to is understanding that if you opt in for Guardian, you are REQUIRED to act on behalf of TGNS BEFORE your team. This means that if someone needs direction or coaching, you need to stop what you're doing, regardless of the circumstances in-game, and take action to resolve the issue.

With that being said, I can certainly see a problem with the abundance of Guardians we have right now. I think, speaking from experience, it's too easy to put off responsibility when you see multiple A's in the server. "Ah, he'll get it."

I'd like to see an internal division of Guardians. By this, I mean that it is understood that you must be active in the forums to be a Guardian, and that you will be acting under oversight of our Veteran Guardians. So, a sticky thread in General Discussion that states, "These are the people opted in as Guardian. These are the people who have demonstrated a willingness to act selflessly in respect of maintaining the environment we strive to achieve." The latter of which can only be chosen by Full Admins. Guardians will be under oversight of Veteran Guardians. Both of these groups will be distinguished with a simple A in game, the same way it is now, and it is up to the person opting in to be a Guardian to understand that the Veterans will only act if a Guardian doesn't, and it will be reported that said Guardian is not acting on behalf of TGNS.

Once we make this distinction, we need to only have one Guardian on each team at any time during the game. It would be ideal to have a Veteran base large enough to have at least one Veteran in the server at any time during the game. Veterans are responsible for making sure Guardians uphold the rules, and serve as a back-up in case the Guardian fails. Guardians are responsible for policing their team (or the server if alone).

Is that too much? I think it's very simple, and will prove to achieve what we're ultimately looking for.

Mom
                            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                            Forever Perplexed

Comment

We're not going to take that approach now. Perhaps we will one day, but not now. Instead, to mirage's point, we're going the inclusive route and relying on those unsatisfied players to share reports in the Contact an Admin (CAA) forum.

Regarding folks (Guardians or not) not acting the way they should:

Reporting someone in CAA doesn't make you a jerk or guarantee bad things will happen to the reported person. Maybe you're one of three people reporting the same person, or the same incident. Maybe you're not. Maybe your note isn't that interesting today, but will play a role in the admins' weeks later noticing a developing behavioral trend. Whatever the case, your report is very helpful.

Please let admins know what's happening. This is not some random server where problems don't get fixed. Tell us what's wrong and give us a chance to fix it. Help us shape everyone's contributions to align with what you think the server should be.

Invest in the server in this way. Please. That's directed at everyone.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X