indicate Captains Game to players not on the server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• indicate Captains Game to players not on the server

Reserved slots aren't usable when the server's playing a Captains Game.

How would you like to see, from the outside, that the server is playing a Captains Game?

I don't /think/ I can modify server name programmatically (a quick API search didn't give me anything: I'd love for someone to cite what lets me).
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: indicate Captains Game to players not on the server

Is there any way we could let people know that the password is visible in the forums, and then limit who can see the password thread? So.. I played at TGNS earlier today, and I thought that game was freaking AWESOME. I put my woman to bed, and now I'm free to game... but there seems to be a password on the server. Oh, the server name says check the forums. Oh... this thread says I have to sign to the Primer to get the password. What's the Primer? Oh... okay, that makes sense. Here's my password.

That sorta thing.

I don't think this is entirely necessary right now, but if Capt Night keeps going the way it is now, I see both servers being full and locked on Friday nights. We can barely hold the people who want to play on one server already.

Or, on second thought, perhaps we should use server 2 as an Open Captains Night server... with no password. A simple Guardian could police that.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Comment

I like the idea of Friday night being Captains Night on both servers, one passworded (managed by whomever mirage selects -- himself or a delegate) and one not (managed by Guardian(s)). Can I get more folks giving their opinion on this idea?

[MENTION=56359]YerMom[/MENTION], you're talking about /what/ we should communicate to people not on the server (which is good). My challenge is finding the medium with which to communicate (again: I don't think server name is available technically).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't think dynamic servername changes are possible, though that's an idea for suggestion to them.

Short of that, I wonder if you can code a "Phantom player."
        That is, a player who exists in name only -- literally.
        This non-existent player can sit in the server with its name denoting the server's current mode - Pub, or Captain.
        This "Player" would have to bypass all known restrictions (AFK, sweep, bump) and simultaneously not hold a physical slot.
        It sounds somewhat complicated, but considering player name changes take effect immediately, it can be helpful for this purpose.

I am reminded of our old TF2 match servers that had HLTV, and for that, there was simply an entity named "HLTV" on the server all the time.

Edit:
        "Open" Captains sounds good, but I do not think it should be enforced.
        Some people do not necessarily wish to play a Captain's, which is how they would find their way to the other server in the first place.
        Furthermore, if they do wish to play Captains, they can start the normal voting process to get it enabled.
        If, however, the other server is largely populated with strangers and maybe only one or two guardians, Captains would not be very different from a normal pub round.

Comment

I don't know what your options are, but unless the server name is available, I don't see a way to communicate this at all... that is, communicate it to a random person not known to TGNS or vice versa.

Wonder what server I'll join tonight? Tacticalgamer.com... hmm. Sounds like it may be cool. Oh, there's a password. Can't join that one.

There may be a ...... .05% chance someone will actually go to the forums from the server name to see if he can get the password... but without our server name saying, "Captains Games In Progress - See tacticalgamer.com for Password", we can't relay that message at all. Even if you could display a message on join, it will fail 90% of the time because people notice the Lock... or at least, imho.

Mom
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Oh! That's a GREAT idea, Dark. I could use a bot, which doesn't appear in the server browser player count. I'll get on this as soon as I'm able. This could work. It'll create side effects (reserved slots logic, bots plugin, etc) for code that assumes bots will/won't be around, but I can fix those.

Comment

Really, I'm addressing regulars with my communication. It's not likely I'm too concerned about addressing strangers, especially regarding Captains Games: if we've put a password on the server, it's to keep absolute strangers /away/. Reading a password in a forum thread doesn't alone raise you above "absolute stranger".

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
                I don't know what your options are, but unless the server name is available, I don't see a way to communicate this at all... that is, communicate it to a random person not known to TGNS or vice versa.

Wonder what server I'll join tonight? Tacticalgamer.com... hmm. Sounds like it may be cool. Oh, there's a password. Can't join that one.

There may be a ...... .05% chance someone will actually go to the forums from the server name to see if he can get the password... but without our server name saying, "Captains Games In Progress - See tacticalgamer.com for Password", we can't relay that message at all. Even if you could display a message on join, it will fail 90% of the time because people notice the Lock... or at least, imho.

Mom
                In my experience, strangers typically won't join passworded servers, if they haven't filtered them out entirely.
                The exception is if they've played here before and have favorited the server, in which case it sorts to the top. But in that case, they should already know about the forum, and is up to them if they want to make the effort to check.

Comment

Dark's edit (to his own post #4) above lessens my enthusiasm for scheduled/forced Captains on an open/nopassword server.

Comment

Mine, too... but I think our locked server would easily bleed regulars over to unlocked. Perhaps we should wait a while before trying this.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
                      Mine, too... but I think our locked server would easily bleed regulars over to unlocked. Perhaps we should wait a while before trying this.

Mom
                      This is true, the locked server may become filled to over capacity, and not everyone can play. Otherwise, there will be people who decide they can no longer do another two rounds and hop off to the other server for one more round.

However, even if it is regs that are hopping off the locked server into the open server, whether to play another Captains game there or not should be left up to the people of that server - they should vote it if they want to run a parallel Captains game, or they can play pub games if that is what they wish. I don't think anything is gained from forcing a public server to run the same mode as the passworded server, especially when the public server may vote to enable the same mode if the players are in agreement.

The exception is if someone specifically wants to spearhead an effort to run an "open" Captains night on that particular server, but that is a separate issue, and assumes that some players will have advance notice, and others will be informed of as such upon connection. I won't go into the pros and cons of this particular idea, though, as it gets tricky.

Comment

Well the whole point of Captain's Night is to shut off a server, with a password, from complete outsiders so that organized Captain's games can occur. Any member or person that frequents the server should be well informed that Captain's Night is 700pm CST every Friday; a server announcement happens after every completed game. Any player that asks "what are Captain's games" are usually informed by people who know on the spot or are directed to investigate through our forums.

As for the spill off from Captain's Night into the other server, I agree with Dark's opinion that not everyone wants to play Captain's games and normal gameplay should commence on the un-passworded server; if players want to start an impromptu Captain's game, that is fine as well.

The system is fine for current demand and we can address other options in the future when there is a need for two organized servers. I'm sorry not everyone got to play last week that wanted to but it's first come first serve; showing up earlier, just like signing the primer during normal gameplay, ensures you have a spot in the festivities that night. When we have 16 people ready to play at 700pm CST every Friday, then I'll be more worried about who gets a spot.

Comment

I dislike the idea of using both servers for captains night. The current system has been working fantastic, and we shouldn't have too much trouble keeping the server full as time goes on and all regulars become familiar with captains night through word of mouth and in game advertisements. A simple tweak of changing chuckles name on Fridays to "Tacticalgamer.com Captain's Night! 7:00p CST" should raise awareness. Even then, most regulars probably already know.
                          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Just a random thought, how hard would it be to implement an in game password so that strangers could still join and spec.

Don't swear at anyone.
                            Be respectful.
                            Your team comes first.

Comment

maybe a server that turns public called 'Tacticalgamer.com Chuckle [is in captains mode!]'
                              with 2 slots, 1 bot, no password (so it shows up on most filter settings)

such a haaack. I do not support my own idea on how to do it

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X