General Problem I have had since game launch regarding Name/Alias

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Problem I have had since game launch regarding Name/Alias

I don't know if I'm the only one who has had this issue. Perhaps someone here can help me. My game has kept switching my name back to the default "Steam" game name. I usually play under the name "LERKING OFF", I just happen to like the name, and that's what most people know me on the server as. But every time I start Natural Selection 2 up, it changes my name back from LERKING OFF to HaX^. I've tried changing the name in the Options, but that doesn't seem to affect the name changing. Is there some sort of config file where I could permanently change this?
    HaX^

Re: General Problem I have had since game launch regarding Name/Alias

try start up NS2 changing the name then exit NS2 normaly without joining any servers.

Some times NS2 crashes on exit and does not save its settings

Edit: Also does this happen only on TG servers or every server?

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
      try start up NS2 changing the name then exit NS2 normaly without joining any servers.

Some times NS2 crashes on exit and does not save its settings

Edit: Also does this happen only on TG servers or every server?
      I've tried that, no success. It happens on every Server.
      HaX^

Comment

Originally posted by Some Guy in the UWE Forums
        CODE
        // Set default player name to one set in Steam, or one we've used and saved previously
        local playerName = Client.GetOptionString( kNicknameOptionsKey, Client.GetUserName() )

So yes, it does initially set it to whatever your steam-name was at the time of first start-up.
        So... based on this, there is code in the game that runs on startup that says, "Make player name = Steam Name"... so if your Steam name is HaX^ then it will change your name when the game starts in the cfg to HaX^ every time.

The .cfg file that used to be available is now hosted on the SteamCloud (apparently), which means you can't code your name into the file, which would make it static. Ultimately, it looks like (with about 10 minutes of research), you can't display any name other than the Steam Name you had when you first started NS2 in NS2.

I may have missed something, but it's certainly not a topic widely discussed online.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

Ok, turn sync off
          start NS2 and change name then Exit
          Restart NS2, look at name
          Did it change?
          If it works, enable sync
          Start NS2 Again look at name then exit so it can update the cloud

To Disable Sync:
          From Library Right click on Natural Selection, select Properties
          Select the update tab
          Untick Enable Steam Cloud Sysnronization for Natural Selection 2

To enable tick the above box.

see how this goes :)

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

I'll take a look at this tonight, and I'll let you guys know. It sucks that they put the cfg on Steam Cloud and nowhere else.
            HaX^

Comment

Any luck?

Don't swear at anyone.
              Be respectful.
              Your team comes first.

Comment

I didn't get a chance to look at it last night, wasn't feeling well (I think someone at work gave me a cold). Feeling better today, so hopefully I can test it out tonight. Seems to make sense though, it should work.
                HaX^

Comment

Right, so I tried this tonight, and it didn't work :/ Went to NS2 in my steam library and disabled cloud sync, started the game, changed my name, exited, started the game back up again, and the name was changed. I'm going to try and post to the NS2 forums as well.

EDIT: OK, after some painful searching through the NS2 Forums (I hate their search function), I found that there is a config file in \Steam\userdata\<SteamID>\4920\remote called Options.xml. I looked at the XML file and there are 2 rows that were not in the right order.
                  Code:
                  <nickname>
                      <drawDamage>true</drawDamage>
                      <marineVariant>5</marineVariant>
                   </nickname>
                  Changed to this:
                  Code:
                      <nickname>LERKING OFF</nickname>
                      <drawDamage>true</drawDamage>
                      <marineVariant>5</marineVariant>
                  I now have my name defaulted to LERKING OFF. Woohoo!
                  Last edited by HaX^; 11-14-2013, 02:43 AM.
                  HaX^

Comment

Its always good when you resolve your own question :P
                    Thank you for sharing

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

I actually looked at that options.xml file when I first saw this discussion because I've had to edit my resolution there due to me playing on my tv. I didn't notice the nickname area... so mad props for that one. :)

Now, if we can just figure out how to fix Wyz, we'll be troubleshooting better than UWE. :P

Mom
                      Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                      Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...