NSL Maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSL Maps

Is it just me or are these maps incredibly ugly? I'm not sure why there are so many of them in the rotation now. They get voted in because people assume they're better with the NSL name, or are just curious about what they are, but they're just really unpleasant to play IMO because of how bland and amateurish the lighting is.

Re: NSL Maps

I'm in the forums right now because of my inability to download NSL Descent. Apparently, I cannot download this mod in any form what-so-ever. I was trying to rule out it being on my end before I posted a thread... but you beat me to it, and it is NOT on my end.

I agree that the maps are a little blah. I think the whole purpose was to reduce strain on the server, though. That is strictly speculation.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Comment

Their total light count has been reduced significantly for improved client fps. I personally, love them because my computer is older and I get about 20 extra fps on average. Although, I can understand why people dislike them.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I do not care for these at all, I see some people drop off after we load these maps and also some people don't want to play a custom map. I would like it if we removed the ability to vote for these in the standard end of game vote. If people want to use the menu to start a vote to change it, so be it. I also don't care for the super-polished NS1 look and feel of them.
        Lights Out!

Comment

I hate to take away FPS from people because I've been there all too often... I don't care about the NSL maps one way or another... I DO NOT like that I can't download Descent.

Mom
          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I believe the reason these maps were loaded on the server was due to a discussion on the forums a few weeks ago involving the close proximity spawns of the stock maps. NSL maps dictate cross spawns and why these versions were implemented. I think the thread eventually agreed that NSL maps should be loaded to the server but I believe Wyz took the notion one step further and replaced the stock maps with their NSL counterpart.

I myself don't see much of a difference as my graphic settings are on low. I would not be inclined either way to have an opinion about re-adding the stock maps in addition to the same NSL versions, but it might make some people happier.

Comment

Isn't close spawns something that could be prevented with server mods? That doesn't seem like a very compelling reason to introduce a set of controversial custom maps.

Comment

I've returned the server to the stock maps.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

+1 solarity.

Custom maps drive people away.

Don't swear at anyone.
                  Be respectful.
                  Your team comes first.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far, Tully. Kodiak has an innate ability to draw LOTS of people in, somehow.

I think it IS safe to say that NSL maps drive people away.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

They were quite ugly and I wasn't a fan of them so it's good to see them gone. I was really confused as to why we suddenly had so many NSL maps since there wasn't a thread about it in the main forum here.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeCat View Post
                        They were quite ugly and I wasn't a fan of them so it's good to see them gone. I was really confused as to why we suddenly had so many NSL maps since there wasn't a thread about it in the main forum here.
                        There actually was, though it wasn't explicit about NSL in the title:
                        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...se-spawns.html

I personally don't mind much either way. The drastic change in lighting was odd for me the first one or two times, but after that you kind of get used to it, and the layouts themselves have not changed.
                        All it is is the same maps, uglier, performs better, and no close spawns.
                        Basically everything a competitive player wants.

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
                          I wouldn't go that far, Tully. Kodiak has an innate ability to draw LOTS of people.
                          I care less about how many people trickle in during a match. Regardless of Caged, Jambi, or Kodiak people leave the server more frequently when one of these maps is next. Frequently when it's late these maps will shut down the server an hour early.

Nothing sucks quite like going from 8v8 to 4v4 on map change either.

Don't swear at anyone.
                          Be respectful.
                          Your team comes first.

Comment

Yeah, but I think that's inevitable on any map. Summit is a very popular map, but if you've played it 6 times in the last 4 hours, you're not going to like seeing it being voted in late in the day.

I think that relates more to the time of day than it does the map being played, but I'll admit that the map does play a role in this activity.

I also think that it depends on the player. I know I personally LOVE seeing caged being voted in at any time of day. But, I also know that we do get a lot of complaints from people about balance on the map and etc.

Whether or not a map kills the server is more personal preference vs time of day, imho.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I honestly think a lot of people quit when a custom map comes up because it takes more effort to play competitively. Combined with time of day, people just decide the cost benefit isn't worth it. I would LOVE to see heavier usage of custom maps during prime time and stricter dummy mode maps when it gets later, but it's too much risk for too little reward to implement an organic map list.

Don't swear at anyone.
                              Be respectful.
                              Your team comes first.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse