3 vs 4 vs 5 Tech Points

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 vs 4 vs 5 Tech Points

I'd like to open a discussion about the number of Tech Points available in a map. I'm partial to 4 myself, as it tends to end in a 2v2 split and makes for the best games.

What do you guys think?

Also, I'd like to hear thoughts on how many nodes a map should have. I've heard 8 or 9 to be the magic number, and that's likely what I'm shooting for... but I'd like opinions on that, too.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: 3 vs 4 vs 5 Tech Points

8 or 9 tech points?
    What?

I assume you mean resource nodes.. In which case, in my opinion, 9 is a good number. 10 is pushing it, and 11 is way too many.
    Aliens are pretty comfortable at 3-4, and marines are pretty comfortable at 5-6, so that's where you find the 8-10 range normally.
    Fewer nodes leads to much more intense fighting over resource areas, if that's what you're looking for.
    More nodes just results in super-fat endgame tech every game because both sides are overflowing with res.

As for tech points, I would hate to see a 9 tech point map.
    4 tech points can make for a cozy game, but it is somewhat imbalanced, as Veil consistently shows us, because 2/2 split gives marines end-game tech, while aliens must fight without it.
    In that sense, I think 5 is the best number for NS2. 6 and above, as I recall from ns2_turtle, is just way too many.

Comment

Not sure what was confusing about my post, Dark. Lol. I'm trying to find a way that it might be confusing, but it's pretty straight forward. Two separate questions there...

But, you did answer both questions. Thank you.

More opinions please. :)

Mom
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Ha, I completely missed the nodes in that second one.
        The topic was tech points so I kind of just substituted it in subconsciously.

Comment

Lol. It's okay. I'm tired, too. :P

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

4 TP maps need some sort of advantage for aliens to work well usually (easy access to double res on veil for example). 5 TP is ideal.

8-9 nodes are fine more dependent on map size than anything. 8 for 4 TP (9 if there is a double node) and 9 for 5 TP.

Comment

Good call on double. I'm debating whether or not I want to add a double. I was even considering a triple, as I haven't seen it done with any map, but making it a highly contested area... so imagine nano in veil having 4 points of access (skylights, topo, sub, and pipe all lead straight to nano) and it having 3 nodes in it. I dunno if it'll work, and it'll probably be a waste of time, but I'd LOVE to see how something like that played.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Mineshaft has 11, and it doesn't feel like that many though.

Comment

Need input, guys.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...ml#post1810761

Obviously, I'm going to close a lot of that empty space in the halls and rooms.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I'd say that 5 TP and 9 Nodes would be appropriate. You always want to have an odd number for both so there is a need to fight for both.

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
                      Mineshaft has 11, and it doesn't feel like that many though.
                      It is huge, and I believe this is after they removed one or two.. I think at one point early on it had 13?

Put it this way, if marines only have 2 bases -- Operations and Repair -- they can have up to 5 nodes, spanning Gap to Cavern. If they were doing well, they would hold double. That's 7. But let's say the aliens have control of cave, and have taken cavern for themselves. The marines have 6 nodes. In a normal game, the marines would be dominating with so many nodes. Unfortunately, the aliens can still potentially hold 5 nodes if they control the other 3 tech points. Even if they lost control of Deposit, they would still have 4 nodes, which for any alien team is a really good resource flow. This just means that both teams get tech really fast and killing expensive toys doesn't mean too much once one team starts taking even half the nodes.

Comment

I am thinking of the Capt Game on Tram Friday night. It was a 70 minute game. Then I consider the 100 minute game we had on Veil the other day. These maps make for these stalemate situations which can ultimately lead to very good games... that is, for both teams (given the right mindset), not just the winning team.

I'm trying to figure out what the numbers need to be to produce these games. I don't want it to be exhausting to play my map, but I want it to be possible that the game can run like those games given the right amount of teamwork/coordination.

I think I've got a good idea of that. I'm probably going to go with 9 nodes and 5 tech points. That seems like a solid enough number on both sides to provide serious competition for resources and map control.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

It is not solely the numbers that make for these kinds of games.

On Veil, it was largely stalemated, and on Tram, it was heavy base trading.
                          The key to these two different scenarios was the map layout. Veil, there were only so many paths each team could take before they ran into the other, so there was heavy fighting at System, West Junction, and Topographical. There was simply no way to avoid these areas.

Tram, on the other hand, has several paths, and especially Hub in the middle, that allowed the teams to move around each other and take bases back and forth.
                          The layout of the map, and anticipating where the heavy fighting will occur with ARCs, Exos, Onoses, and JP's, and providing alternate access routes for any of these is what I feel makes for the more dynamic games.

Of course, having to fight over resources and tech points to keep this up does play a factor, as neither team should feel that what they have is sufficient -- that gives the team the excuse to go into the "Let's turtle this one out" mindset.

Comment

I'm in agreement with the general consensus here, 9 RT and 5 tech points. I think it should be reasonably possible for aliens to hold 3 of them, but have to fight hard for 5 RTs. I'm still really learning the game, so I don't have much to add.

Just to throw in something I was thinking about today, # of entrances into tech points is interesting to consider for balance. Like in Summit - Flight Control/Sub Access, there are two entrances and a vent. That is completely opposed to something like Veil - Control, where there are only two long hallways in. I'm not sure what is better, but it is definitely something worth thinking about for designing a map.
                            NS2 name: Sherlerk Holmes

Comment

I'm already designing the vents as I build the map. I'm working more on balance for aliens with vents because my map is, in essence, a lot of hallways connecting to large rooms.

I'll post some new screens and a copy of the map when it's fully connected. Maybe another week or so.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...