bots, balance to P> players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bots, balance to P> players

The admins have agreed that bots will help the server seed to NS more quickly if they're manageable by P> players, not just Guardians. And so we've done that. Any player with a P> next to their name on the scoreboard can add bots to the server when its playercount is low.

We've also given the sh_balance to P> players.

When you use sh_balance, try to be sensitive to players getting irritated by your timing.

If the broader access to sh_balance causes problems, I might further modify the permissions and/or trigger conditions of the command.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: bots, balance to P> players

I have a suggestion. Can you make a message appear when you join the server and bots are activated and why they are activated and periodically repeat itself?

If I weren't a regular and knew that bots were just there to seed the server until 10 people joined, I would leave the server immediately.

Comment

Last edited by SPACECAT; 11-16-2013, 03:15 PM. Reason: fail

Comment

When bots mode is activated, a message appears every 30 or so seconds saying that bots are enabled and when the server reached 10 players NS2 mode will be enabled.

Comment

Spacecat, we literally just discussed and made that change about 2 hours ago, it will probably be on the server soon, haha.

Thanks for backing me up though, I'm not the only person who thinks that would happen!

Comment

Speaking from the perspective of someone who generally tries to seed the server daily... I've found bots to be received very well. It is generally "What's going on?! This isn't normal," followed by, "HOLY **** WHAT MOD IS THIS?!" You'd be surprised by the number of people who actually really enjoy playing bots.

I've also found that ns2_tow_summit is a very bot friendly map, and I know there are several regulars that help me seed the server who enjoy the bot games I generally begin by myself.

With that being said, I've had the server spam me entirely too much lately that bots are active. I can't remember the exact message it gives me, but I know that I remember it being obnoxious.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Try the latest version of notifications and see what you think.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Will do.

Will give feedback around Monday.

Mom
                Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Is there any way to add variation to the bot spawning somewhat easily? Like spawning a wave of gorges randomly or something?
                  Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                  Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I think there is, but I don't have anything there yet.

Comment

That would be awesome. It's difficult to keep a bot game running sometimes because the max number of skulks I can sustain is about 25. If the server is around 8 people, that number changes to 20. Once jetpacks come out, the skulks have a hard time fighting. Once Exos come out, the skulks are useless.

Some lerks to make it harder to jp would be awesome, and make for a better scale of game play, as opposed to Marines just getting epi-tech and being unstoppable.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen how to evolve bots.

TJ's written code to make them spawn faster/wave, but I've been too busy for him every time he's tried to give me the code.

Comment

Who's TJ? Is that Samus?

Also, sometime it might be interesting to be able to play against marine bots. Obviously it'll be much harder against the aimbots... :)

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
                            Who's TJ? Is that Samus?

Also, sometime it might be interesting to be able to play against marine bots. Obviously it'll be much harder against the aimbots... :)
                            Tjstrechalot, I believe.

Comment

I am utterly utterly against sh_balance toggle being a power for p>.

I don't even like how it's used usually by a>.

My dislike of it is for when it's used so soon after mapchange or round end that afk's get autoed to a team.

The only time I use balance is after warning the ready room that it is coming.

I don't like stealing agency from players.

Don't swear at anyone.
                              Be respectful.
                              Your team comes first.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse