A few things about captains....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few things about captains....

A few things have been frustrating me with how this whole captains system works now, I constantly get screwed over by it meaning I have to wait another 45 minutes to an hour to play again. I'm very busy and constantly multitasking during map change, trying to be as efficient and get as much done in the little time I have, and having to wait 45-60 minutes because I get screwed over by some flawed mechanics.

The fact that you have to re opt in for captains on map change during captains night is just silly. If I'm there on a captains night I expect to play captains that night, not anything else, so why should I have to re opt in every map change. It should be opt in once that night, and you either go spec or leave. Just make a command where you can enable captains that night, and if you don't want captains they just leave or go spec.

I'f I am opted into captains and I have to restart my game due to it crashing, like sometimes when I am alt tabbed for example, or re-enable my crosshairs that get reset frequently, and I rejoin a game, I should be able to bump the person who took my spot back to spec.

The player limit, why have a 24 person server that's always 75% full, I know it's trying to emulate "a comp game" but there's almost always at 2 people who are spec, rarely more than 2, but nearly almost always 2 just due to how many regulars we have. I suggest either make it 2 6v6 servers or up the player limit to 9v9. I would much rather making it 2 6v6 servers as that's a) more balanced, and 2) would be better for the amount of regulars we have. Also, why have a 24 person server and limit the number of specs. Specs take up almost no bandwidth or resources, there is little reason why you shouldn't be able to 24 players.

Lastly, what's the point of being a supporting member other than being nice, there's no real benefit anymore as there was before. Any primer can be an admin, and the reserved slots give no real benefit, specially in captains games. I don't know exactly why S was removed on the scoreboard, but something at least to give recognition to those supporters. Whether you do something like the player badges or a special skin for TG supporters (yes it's possible to do this) just slap the TG logo on the player skin or something.

/endrant

Re: A few things about captains....

I don't have any plans to change the opt-in mechanism or to remedy the crashing pain.

We tried 9v9 after Reinforced dropped. It was VERY poorly received.

Spec limit is 5 presently. I'll raise it to 6 in time.

I don't have a helpful response to your SM query.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I feel that standard practice should be that if a person started the captains game in progress and for some reason has to reconnect and his spot is gone, the person that took the spot should leave the game and go to spec when the original person gets back in the server.
      aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Supporting Membership is much more than a guaranteed slot on the server. From the link in my signature:

Being a supporting member is about more than "what do I get?" It's about what are you giving? You're helping provide for the website, community, game servers, and more. None of what you see here would be possible without the contributions from the community. So don't worry about what you'll get - You're giving not only TG, but a lot of other people who visit our server and forum, a unique product - Teamwork, communication, tactics, maturity, etc etc. You'd be surprised how many people out there just have not happened upon Tactical Gamer yet. And you'd be surprised how many people, when they find TG, instantly call it home. But none of this would be possible without Supporting Memberships.
        http://www.tacticalgamer.com/dayz/18...r-here-tg.html

I'll admit I wish NS2 worked better with larger teams so that MORE of us could play at any given time - but that's simply not the case. The game is focused on small teams and their tactics. We've come a very long way since NS2's start here at TG, and I mean this - what we have here is very special. While our Friday night events may be relatively new, it's not just that - our server is very unique, and it is well noticed by many in the community. We are positively received, even if we're not everyone's cup of tea. I've had to sit out rounds of Captain's Matches as well, and my time just like anyone else's is precious. But I'm here for the community. The gameplay is great, sure, but I enjoy watching others play NS2 almost as much as playing it - mostly because I'm arguably one of the least capable players in NS history, even though I've been playing off and on for years and years now. NS2 has become a good spectating thing on friday nights.

Also, for anyone curious, maintaining two servers with identical settings and plugins has been a challenge for Wyz and other admins on the team. It's also a bit unfair to say "write more code" when this is practically a day and night job for some of our admins. The amount of custom content and code on our server is astounding when one takes a step back and compares it with other servers.

Server stability is also a concern that I'm confident other admins than myself can explain better. But everything is a pretty delicate flower, figuratively. It's not as simple as increasing the number of slots on the server.
        Last edited by Skud; 12-07-2013, 03:29 AM.
        Skud

Comment

Yes, that is why I made the suggestion I did for splitting it up to 2 6v6 servers.
          Better balance
          Better performance
          More spots for spectators
          24 max players with 10 spectators, 5-6 on each server. Would accommodate the not enough for another 8v8 game due to not enough people.

And yes, I'm /well/ aware it's not as easy as "write more code" but it shouldn't stop me from making suggestions.

About people leaving the game, most times I've had this happen I can't even rejoin the game because someone else ninjas a spot or joins a server. So there isn't even enough room for me to join n the first place. Which would also be solved by increasing spec limit or making 2 6v6 servers.

Comment

Our 8v8 balance doesn't need fixing.

Our 8v8 performance (with oodles of spectators) doesn't need fixing.

Generally, it's easy enough to find a spectator slot already.

I appreciate the suggestions, whether I embrace them or not.

Be sure you're using sh_fullspec. I'll be raising the spec limit from 5 to 6 soon.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Sorry I was on vacation this past week or I would have posted a comment sooner...

While I'm glad that my Captain's Night has caught on and become a highly desired night, I have to concur with Wyz and flesh out the re-opt in decision. The main problem I see with an auto opt-in mechanic is the way the mod currently works. As soon as we have a desired amount of people connected to qualify for a vote, the 6 minute timer would automatically start due at people's connection to the server giving no real time to start a proper selection process. What if people want to give up playing, commanding, or spectating; just a lot of forced variables that add to the chaos. It makes the most sense to opt in at every map change so that we know 1) who wants to play 2) who can play 3) who will captain 4) who is available for picking. I've always allowed those that crash to regain their spot when they reconnect during the same game they were picked. If you crash and reconnect during a different game, then you should be required to wait just like anyone else would have to that is new to that game.

8v8 is the most appealing size in my opinion for the type of captain's games we play. We are by no means a NSL league and 6v6 may frustrate some of the more experienced players when more novice players participate.

As for the SM perks, there are a few. It allows you a full reserved slot during normal play and bumps any remaining non-protected players. I believe (not sure) it allows you to by-pass the requirements we now have for primer membership of 10 games for a P and 40 games for guardianship. Gives you access to the other slots within the TG realm of supported games. Allows our servers/forums to run and be the desired destination for so many players.

Comment

Your points stand despite SM not bypassing 10/40.

Comment

With the way that the mod is flowing, even when it's 8v7 with two+ spectators someone below SM can't join the game to balance things out. Recently someone was asking me to join the game to help balance the teams and commander, however I couldn't join the 19/24 server simply because there were two spectators and the server was recognizing at "Full". I'm not sure if this is on purpose, but not being able to join because people are spectating and NOT playing seems like a serious flaw.

I'm not much of a coder, but if it's possible maybe allowing people to join the server but denying them entry to a team on 8v8 might be a good idea. I mean spectators hardly affect server performance and even maxing out the server 24/24 on Friday's probably wouldn't be that hard to do. It could also allow for a more intuitive pick from commanders. I mean people can still opt-in, but not be picked and enter spec at their own discretion.

Comment

With the way that the mod is flowing, even when it's 8v7 with two+ spectators someone below SM can't join the game to balance things out. Recently someone was asking me to join the game to help balance the teams and commander, however I couldn't join the 19/24 server simply because there were two spectators and the server was recognizing at "Full". I'm not sure if this is on purpose, but not being able to join because people are spectating and NOT playing seems like a serious flaw.

I'm not much of a coder, but if it's possible maybe allowing people to join the server but denying them entry to a team on 8v8 might be a good idea. I mean spectators hardly affect server performance and even maxing out the server 24/24 on Friday's probably wouldn't be that hard to do. It could also allow for a more intuitive pick from commanders. I mean people can still opt-in, but not be picked and enter spec at their own discretion.

Comment

The mod is designed such that spectators never prevent anyone from joining a team.

Unless the mod was broken, the 2 spectators weren't preventing you from joining -- other joiners were.

Comment

We're not going to let folks join unless 1) we have a gameplay slot for them or 2) they're using sh_fullspec and we have at least one spec slot available.

I'd link to sh_fullspec, but I'm mobile.

Comment

sh_fullspec

Edit:
                          To clarify, the server is "full" whenever there are 16 players between the teams and the RR.
                          While people are in the RR, they "consume" a slot. However, when they go to spectate, their slot is freed for anyone else to join in.

The 8v7 situations earlier tonight where people were unable to join was because there was someone in the RR.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X