NS1 night?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS1 night?

I just installed NS1 and gave it a shot... but couldn't quite get it working (dll doesn't match???)

Anyways, it seems kinda empty now... and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in an NS1 night. I'm getting kinda jealous of all the old members reminiscing about the "good old days" and just how amazing ns1 was. I want in! lol

Re: NS1 night?

Haha. It won't be the same though, just have you jump into NS1 like that if you weren't around during the NS1 days.
    The mechanics are very different, and on top of that, the mechanics changed quite a lot even going by NS1 standards from v1 all the way to v3.

These were fun days, though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Zd5lcxpn4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJbR7wUoNBg

At least NS1 had a lot of maps, even going by those trailers, you saw Hera, Nothing, Ayumi, Nancy, Origin, Tanith, Caged, Eclipse, Bast (these last 3 changed heavily over the years, and almost constantly.) etc.
    There were even a few I don't remember anymore thanks to the unforgiving nature of time.
    Being able to relocate anywhere on the map as a marine was hilarious.

So many memories of relocating to double in every map that /had/ a double res room.
    Also having to hunt down that last guy when you won, and he was just trying to stay hidden from you guys in the most obscure corners of the map for as long as possible.

As well, having to rely on the comm for all equipment, so comms only gave equipment to his cherrypicked best players.
    Aliens getting screwed over the more players they had on the team because res flow slowed down dramatically, etc.
    And last, but not least, those seriously epic games (I remember them most often on ns_nothing) where it literally goes on forever, and you can go to bed, wake up hours later to rejoin and find the same game still going on.

Comment

I still have a few videos of good games on our old TG server from 6 (!) years ago, you may find some voices familiar. Also a handful of commander view ones of me comming:

Different server:

Also, we had pretty epic gorge rushes back then. Unless you encounter a shottie rush going the same way (bad audio):

http://www.youtube.com/user/aeroripper/videos
      Last edited by aeroripper; 12-09-2013, 06:55 PM.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Dang... wish I had been a part of this crowd. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun.

Comment

It's no different than now. You're just seeing footage of when our community had gelled from 3-5 years of familiarity. We're just one year in w/ NS2. It's only going to get better.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Was just talking to Dark about NS1 location names.

Foreboding Antichamber.... memories of OCs, DCs, lerks, jetpacks, spitting gorges.... phase gate nearby... Onos and long hallways... suiciding on ARCs to save Power Silo hive!! CHAOS!

Fun times....

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Man, NS1 is sooo different from NS2. I think it would be fun to play around with, even if I'd have to remember how to command all over again, and it doesn't really need much as far as CPU resources to host a server. I remember even hosting a server on my desktop and playing with friends back in the day, when the server we used to play on was down. My current beast of a gaming rig would be more than up to the task, especially considering the 10+ Mbps bandwidth comcast gives me these days (used to barely have 2 Mbps up when I hosted back in the early 2000's. I'd have to dig up all the old server mods we used to use though, which would be a stroll down memory lane just by itself. [/nostalgia]

Comment

*ahem* I mean Siege Cannons....

Comment

Man, I miss NS1. Then I play it and realize I'd have to "unlearn" a lot NS2 has changed in me.

What about an NS:Classic night? Try the mod out? I've heard it's a good blend of both worlds.

Comment

I tried the NS2c mod a little bit a while back.. It was awful.
                    Granted, people said they had improved performance thanks to the removal of cysts and infestation, but it was very hacked together, and felt very awkward -- as if nothing ever died. (They did, but it took so much biting or shooting to take anyone or anything out.)

I would much rather just play NS1 rather than play NS2c, personally.

Comment

Oh man! the good old days of the gold source engine and NS1, how I somewhat miss you :)

Comment

I do miss NS1, and to believe I almost forgot about the shortest gorge rush ever.

Comment

Man, watching those videos reminded me of how fades and onos really used to be wrecking machines back then. I'd totally be up for a NS1 night, but I think I would be too overtaken with nostalgia just walking around those maps to actually play, never mind the mechanics being so different from ns2 lol.

Comment

looks like it was alot of fun, i was living back in australia when NS 1 was around and had alot of fun playing even on my dial up connection
                            There can be no greater pride than the egotism to quote yourself in an internet forum signature -Geriatric

Comment

Here's another good one Wyzcrak made I forgot about:

Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X