mod: starting spawn locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mod: starting spawn locations

I've written code that gives TGNS admins a config file which tells the server which tech points are allowable starting locations for each team per map.

Without editing map files, I can arrange for either team to spawn wherever we like. Some maps we'll leave alone entirely, and we'll obviously want to discuss cross spawn enforcement with this.

I'll be starting a series of map-specific threads in this same forum to discuss.

Please limit discussion in this thread to the idea itself. If you want to discuss a specific map in this context (I've created threads only for stock maps), find the thread I've created or create one for us.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: mod: starting spawn locations

Glad to see this, thanks for spending the time to work on it! The main aspect of Competitive maps that I enjoyed was the cross spawns on relevant maps, so it's good to see it without the downsides that those maps bring aesthetically.

Comment

Wyzcrak, THANK YOU!

This is a much needed mod. I know many of us will really appreciate it!

Comment

Awesome!

This question might be a bit premature, but could this be adapted to captains games, with the initial starting location while choosing teams becoming the start for both rounds?

Let's say when choosing the first player for marines they spawn in cafe, and the first alien pick starts in generator. When the timer ends or captains ready, the marines start in cafe and aliens in gen, and those also are the starts in round 2, with marines again at cafe and aliens at gen.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Man, after going into each new thread and seeing that this mod could not only correct close spawns, but possibly open up freshness on stock maps.

I am glad that cross spawns will fix the frustration of having a balanced game in one half of a Captain's Game, then have the second half be impaired by an unfair advantage of close spawns. With that said, I do like the randomness of changing starts, as it makes you think on your feet and keep a dynamic strategy. If the community wants identical halves, who am I to stop it, but I personally like the dynamics of changing starts.

Comment

Roland, that sort of feature is technically possible now. Not sure yet on details or timing of actual implementations.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I was messing around with the map files the other day to edit them to do this. Unfortunately, the editor itself will only let you do fixed spawns (ie... Atrium Hive or Sub hive random for either team, for example). Wyz, after incorporating this into the existing TGNS mod, I would consider releasing it as a standalone mod for the workshop as well since this is a common complaint with the game on many servers that also don't want the downsides of using the NSL mod. I believe there used to be a cross spawns mod available, but its no longer on the workshop.
              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Ha, aero, I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago when this issue/request last came up.

I ran into the same problem, each TP in the map editor can only be assigned as either Marine-only, Alien-only, Both, or None. No way of setting conditional spawn locations.
                However, we did notice that certain maps have a SpawnOverride variable that we managed to make use of for this purpose.

Comment

To prevent a custom spawns enforcement which might be undesirable given a new build (which might have changed who knows what about map(s) or sundry other balance variables), I've updated this mod to only work for the build number prescribed in its config file (currently 261, of course).

When a new build releases, all maps will return to stock spawns while we evaluate our next move given the new build. This evaluation will typically happen very quickly, and we'll be back to custom spawns in no time once I update the build number in the config file on the server.

Known issue: This automatic disabling of custom spawns won't protect us from significant changes in custom maps, which release out-of-band.

Comment

I've updated this mod's config to work in Build 264 (I've otherwise changed nothing about what we've experienced in 263).
                    Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    To prevent a custom spawns enforcement which might be undesirable given a new build (which might have changed who knows what about map(s) or sundry other balance variables), I've updated this mod to only work for the build number prescribed in its config file (currently 261, of course).

Comment

Thanks for the update Wyzcrak, definitely helps to keep games more balanced at the start while still giving some variety.

Comment

Did I hear Wyz say that he was working on a plug in to allow custom starting locations for Captain's Games?

Comment

I've not started on it, but I do think it's a neat idea. It's in my list.

One variant lets Captains choose. But, really, would it even make sense for one Captain to choose /his/ starting location without knowing the /other/ Captain's starting location? So, do they have to agree, or something?

Another variant notifies the two Captains, so that they know, but they don't get to choose (rather, the mod chooses for them).

I'm not sure this works in practice. Doesn't the breathing room of cross-spawns trump the freedom of Captains choosing their own start location (or the system "randomly" choosing close spawns, even only from time to time)?

Comment

If the idea is to have a custom implementation (that is, a system that kicks in and works only during Captain's mode) it would make sense to tailor to that mode's unique needs.
                            In my opinion, that would likely be the consistency of spawn points, rather than the strict randomness or enforced cross spawns.

That is to say, whether the first set of spawns is a cross spawn or a close spawn (dependent on map, I'd say using current rule set would be fine) the important thing is to enforce the same spawn pair for the second round, so that things are even for both teams from that perspective.

Maybe others will disagree, but this is what I would shoot for, personally.

Comment

I like that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X