mod: starting spawn locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mod: starting spawn locations

Recommend removal of server start on ns2_tram, and removal of Departures on ns2_docking.

Aside, i think Retraced said it in spec chat, but I think using an older docking as our stock wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

I wouldn't mind giving classic docking a few playtests before deciding that though, just thought it may be a good swap. A few captains games (or 'good' balances) would probably give us a good basis for comparison.

Comment

Now that they put all that "stuff" in Courtyard and of course put the Cafe tech point back I think current Docking makes for a lot of fun games. That being said, I really really want to play Docking228 (docking even more classic) sometime just because it is so structurally different than the current docking. Also, it could probably make for some very fun games - I don't think there is any way to know how it will play (without playing it with good teams of course) considering how different the alien tech path is now from when that was the "active" Docking map (so just because it played a certain way in December of 2012 doesn't necessarily mean it will play the same now).

Comment

Originally posted by FARVA View Post
          ... considering how different the alien tech path is now from when that was the "active" Docking map (so just because it played a certain way in December of 2012 doesn't necessarily mean it will play the same now).
          Very true. Server strats in general are much different now than they were at the time-- not many of us as marines even comprehended the idea of going for their ideas before we'd built all of ours. The maintenance/stability issues might be more prevalent now that those habits/strats are ingrained in our playstyles.

Comment

Originally posted by Retraced View Post
            The maintenance/stability issues might be more prevalent now that those habits/strats are ingrained in our playstyles.
            True though I think the addition of early gorge tunnels will help to hold some of those and force the map to play a little differently. I think if Departures start then an early tunnel to maintenance and fortification of the maintenance approach through courtyard c/would make it hard for marines to take and easy for aliens to move on to Locker Room (assuming Marines start terminal of course). I'm having trouble picturing the Court->Stability movement in 228 in my head but I can see Courtyard and maintenance approach/maintenance along with that PITA East Wing perfectly haha.

Comment

It's certainly worth some playtests, I'm more than up for it for nostalgia alone!

I will say that a map possibly being balanced around the assumption of near-perfect coordination by either team is destined for some bad games though ((but that may not apply, since my maint + stability concern is an assumption in itself)). Gorges are picked off fairly often even on Veil, where they have a much safer route to the usual tunnel location.

Comment

Played a couple rounds on docking 228 myself now, one with bots only though where the bots killed me, and another where I destroyed them which doesn't really give any real feedback on how it will play for real. The time I played with real people it seemed to be a pretty good round, though I don't recall the starting positions, so will definitely need some more play testing with more 'strategic' teams to see if one or another tech point spawn combination is really unbalanced for some reason and would need modification. I'd definitely agree though that with the addition of early gorge tunnels that it will certainly change how it plays now as compared to historically.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X