starting spawn locations: ns2_docking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting spawn locations: ns2_docking

Please read the "mod: starting spawn locations" thread's opening post before posting in this thread.

I've not (yet?) modified starting spawn locations on ns2_docking.

Build 261's stock ns2_refinery offers the following possible starting spawn location pairings (Marine, Alien):

Terminal, Generator
    Terminal, Departures
    Terminal, Locker Rooms
    Cafeteria, Generator
    Cafeteria, Departures
    Cafeteria, Locker Rooms

Do we want to leave it alone?

Do we want to let Marines spawn in Locker Rooms? If so, what are the possible Aliens spawn locations?

Does anyone have other ideas?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: starting spawn locations: ns2_docking

I think that Terminal (marine), Generator (alien) is the most balanced in my opinion.

Comment

The Caf - Locker Room start doesn't make for good gameplay (in my opinion). The others are fine.

Comment

I'd remove Terminal-Departures and Cafeteria-Locker Rooms starts personally. Cafeteria/Locker is easy to understand, however Terminal-Departures can really cause harm with a strongly aggressive Marine team.

Having a tech point in between spawns spurs more territorial back and forth, so I enjoy that. Also, what about a Kharaa Cafeteria Start and Marine Departures Start? Would you guys be willing to attempt it? Generator and Locker for marines leans towar map control, but I think Departures is detached enough that is might be a fun exercise.

Comment

Generator is a very alien friendly hive for marines to start in. I'm already envisioning gorges bile bombing from the roof and a gorge tunnel on the backside of the room on that big elevated concrete block thing that marines can't access until JPs. Here's my edit:

Terminal (either team spawn), Generator (aliens only)

Terminal, Departures (erase, fairly close spawns)

Terminal (either team spawn), Locker Rooms (erase, locker room is unfair for either team to spawn IMO)

Cafeteria, Generator (yes)
          Cafeteria, Departures (yes)

Cafeteria, Locker Rooms (erase, close spawn)
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

You say "either team spawn" but I don't see any definition of opposing spawn points for Marines.
            If Aliens start in Terminal, where are Marines supposed to be if Departures and Locker Rooms are to be erased for various reasons, and Generator is Aliens only? That would leave Terminal-Cafeteria, which is a close spawn.

I think simply removing Cafe-Locker and Terminal-Departures is good for now; Docking as it is has undergone many, many changes to layout, balance, and spawn points. I will assume that the mapper understands the strengths of each start, and we'll just remove the more unfair ones.

In light of that, I'd support removing Cafe-Locker and Terminal-Departures, and leave:
            Terminal-Locker (Debatable, since Marines can bum rush Maintenance)
            Terminal-Generator
            Cafeteria-Generator
            Cafeteria-Departures

Comment

Lockers has become a rather unfriendly start for aliens. Maintenance is too easily accessible for marines, and Cafeteria is dangerous to drop a hive in when Terminal is a marine start. The only way I'd like to see Locker as a Kharaa spawn would be if Marines had Departures. Then Generator, Terminal, and Courtyard are good middle ground. Maintenance and Stability have similar strengths and weaknesses for both teams.

Comment

Locker-Departure sounds fun, although Locker is much closer to both Cafe and Gen than Departures is to Terminal and Gen.
                That said, I am convinced we've done this before, as a couple builds ago Marines did spawn in Locker. I don't remember whether that led to good games or bad ones. I am assuming it mostly led to bad games, which is why Marines lost the ability to spawn in Locker again.

Comment

I think marines had that ability to spawn in locker back when docking was set at 4 TP, but I'm not sure; and yes it made for horrible games.

Comment

For Build 262, I've removed Locker spawn from aliens, leaving (Marine, Alien):

Terminal, Generator
                    Terminal, Departures
                    Cafeteria, Generator
                    Cafeteria, Departures

This is potentially bad, but so too, we've learned, is Locker spawn.

My thinking is that the odds of a fun game (including the "where did they spawn?" suspense) are higher without Locker spawn than with. That is, I don't see the need to tolerate Locker's battery of bad games in the interest of one day realizing its full benefit.

Time will tell.

Feedback welcome (feedback above wasn't ignored, and I've heard a lot of unhappiness on the server about Locker start, so we'll try this).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

268 Changelog says the ns2_docking "Terminal, Departures" spawn combination was removed. Is this, then, the stock spawn set for 268 ns2_docking (Marine, Alien)?

Terminal, Generator
                      Cafeteria, Generator
                      Cafeteria, Departures

If not, is it the custom spawn set we want for 268?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X