X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenade Tweaks Mod

Grenades require no research
    Price lowered on all grenades to 2 Pres
    Opening this thread for feedback on this mod. I'll be leaving it on the server for the weekend or so for people to get a feel for it, barring objections. Some things I observed tonight during our captain's games:
    • Grenades are seen in the early-mid game now, rather than late in the game (or at all) when marines are winning anyways.
    • Used to try and save PGs (reminiscent of NS1)
    • I used cluster nades to help defend res nodes on our eclipse match

I admit I'm incredibly biased in their use. I like using them and fighting against them, as I think they add an interesting tactical dynamic to combat that is missing in vanilla.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 12-21-2013, 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Grenade Tweaks Mod

How did this go over on teh UWE forums?
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Being able to spam pulse grenades early game could become incredibly overpowered, I'm not sure about the other two. It made taking out choice early game skulks extremely trivial- I could see a whole group of marines buying some at the start being a bit too strong. I know you want to see grenades in early gameplay, but I just can't see how they could be balanced within the first few minutes, especially at that P Res cost.

The thing is, they seem perfect in the midgame- the issue is that we usually don't see them until the endgame. Helps alleviate potential grinders, but it didn't really hurt the Fades -too- much. The reduced P Res cost should be fine if they only pop up around the midgame, but the trick would be setting it up in the tech tree in a way that doesn't make them appear too early or too late. What if you tied hand grenades to the Advanced Armory upgrade? That way it's something the commander would research anyway, but it introduces a sort of "gate" that prevents it from being used in most very early game situations.

I'm not sure... something like this can be very tricky to balance, I have to admit.

Comment

Why not keep their lower p res but tie their research to mines?

Comment

Mines are quite powerful as it is.

If possible, maybe split the grenades.
          Cluster grenades start researched, just like welders, but pulse and nerve gas grenades require the AA or something.

Comment

Being able to spam pulse grenades early game could become incredibly overpowered, I'm not sure about the other two. It made taking out choice early game skulks extremely trivial- I could see a whole group of marines buying some at the start being a bit too strong. I know you want to see grenades in early gameplay, but I just can't see how they could be balanced within the first few minutes, especially at that P Res cost.

The thing is, they seem perfect in the midgame- the issue is that we usually don't see them until the endgame. Helps alleviate potential grinders, but it didn't really hurt the Fades -too- much. The reduced P Res cost should be fine if they only pop up around the midgame, but the trick would be setting it up in the tech tree in a way that doesn't make them appear too early or too late. What if you tied hand grenades to the Advanced Armory upgrade? That way it's something the commander would research anyway, but it introduces a sort of "gate" that prevents it from being used in most very early game situations.

I'm not sure... something like this can be very tricky to balance, I have to admit.
            Agree with all of this, although, I don't believe its as big of a problem in a general public game vs. a comp match. I've noticed a preference for pulse grenades in the early game.

If possible, maybe split the grenades.
            Cluster grenades start researched, just like welders, but pulse and nerve gas grenades require the AA or something.
            I would like to see cluster grenades used more. They're fantastic at taking out gorge fortresses, but not as good as pulse grenades for general combat. I could try making it so cluster grenades are available on start, pulse and gas on AA researched.

Comment

So I've made these changes:

- Grenades require no research
              - Cluster is unlocked at game start, gas and pulse are unlocked after AA is researched
              Feedback welcome.
              Last edited by aeroripper; 12-21-2013, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...