Replacing 8800 GTX for ~$250

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing 8800 GTX for ~$250

I've got a P5N-D and I want to replace my 8800 GTX.

I'd like to cap my spending somewhere near $250.

What do you recommend?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Replacing 8800 GTX for ~$250

On the Nvidia side of things, I can definitely recommend the GTX 660 (the non TI version). You could probably find a stock 660 for about 200 - 220, and an overclocked one for between 230 and 260. It has Nvidia's latest advancements ( Kepler Architecture), but doesn't run as hot as some of the other cards in your price range, like the GTX 480. It also scales incredibly well with SLI, if you would be so inclined in the future- I use a pair of them myself and have no complaints.

I'm sure there are great AMD cards in that range, but I don't have as much familiarity with them.

Comment

you can get the 760 for around 250 also which is this years model

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX46586
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Ahh my link is Canadian eh. You might be able to get it cheaper even in US.
        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Manufacturer recommendations (for or against)?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I went with a 760GTX recently. Very pleased.

Here is the exact one I purchased: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127750

$269 - $20 MIR = $249

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I went with a 760GTX recently. Very pleased.

Here is the exact one I purchased: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127750

$269 - $20 MIR = $249

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

evga is one of the top distributers but they are pretty much the exact same components. they have to meet nvidia spec
                Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I need to buy from Amazon (gift cards).

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card N760 TF 2GD5/OC looks comparable.

Am I missing anything problematic?

Comment

Case size would be the only problem but the new card is jsut slightly shorter than your current card so it will fit your case. If you put a card capable of pcie 3.0 in a 2.0 slot. It will run on pcie 2.0 and the difference in performance will be negligible.
                    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Purchased. Thank you, all.

Comment

Can't go wrong with that card. I've got the Gigabyte version with the 3-fan cooler and it'll play most current games at max settings. If you're inclined, I'd recommend overclocking it even more than they already do, since that cooler looks like it's well up to the task, just like the Gigabyte version. MSI makes Afterburner for overclocking, but I prefer EVGA's tool personally.

The nice thing about the 760 vs the 660Ti is the 760 has the same number of Render pipelines (ROP) as the 770. The only difference in binning is in the 760 2 of the 770's 8 SMX blocks are disabled, so you lose 1/4 of the shader and texture processing, but the rendering performance and memory bandwidth are untouched. The 660Ti took a different approach, and they actually cut off a whole block of the GPU die, taking out SMX, ROP, and memory controller blocks, so you lost a bit of everything. This makes the 760 overclock even nicer, since by making the SMXes run faster you can make up a lot more of the performance you lose than if you were missing ROPs as well.

Comment

The 760's a great choice, especially since Nvidia's really been doing well at increasing performance without having huge jumps in power requirements (ran into an issue with AMD a couple of years ago, but that may have been an isolated case). My brother has one, and at least with the model he has, overclocking was fairly trivial. Edit; Matrix beat me to it.

Now I'm worried. With a modern gpu, you'll be even more a problem on the field than you were last night!

Comment

Riiiiight. Go ahead. Quake in your boots.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
                              evga is one of the top distributers but they are pretty much the exact same components. they have to meet nvidia spec
                              By the way, this statement isn't true. Nvidia will put out a reference design, but the manufacturing partners don't have to strictly adhere to it. Most of them will make improvements when they put out their own cards, such as non-reference coolers and custom board layouts. You'll notice that the board on Wyz's MSI card, and many of the others, are a few inches longer than the NVidia reference. It also has 2 full 8-pin power connectors vs most other boards that use a 6+8 configuration. The extra length lets them have more robust power regulation circuitry as well letting it run stable at a higher voltage, which is another reason they can factory overclock these so much over the reference design.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X