Captain's Night 1/3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain's Night 1/3

Captain's Night Friday at 7pm CST. As always password and server will be announced 20 minutes before game time. Please show up on time for a slot or you will be forced to spectate in a reserve role. Be sure to filter for passworded server to see the server. We'll be doing the mirage tweaked style of picking like we did last week.

Re: Captain's Night 1/3

pass is tgns123 on Taunt

Comment

Lots of folks specing/waitinginlinetoplay tonight (but the waiting only lasted a single map). I can code a solution to that, but two thoughts:

1) let's see if it happens too often

2) I'd hope we can solve it socially
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Thanks to all that played tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
          Lots of folks specing/waitinginlinetoplay tonight (but the waiting only lasted a single map). I can code a solution to that, but two thoughts:

1) let's see if it happens too often

2) I'd hope we can solve it socially
          Would it be feasible to have an admin only enabled alternate captains mode that allowed three captains with teams of 6 or 7 for times like that? I'm thinking the first two teams would play then the third team would play the winner of the first round. It could assign one captain to get first pick, the second would get team pick, and the third would get team pick of the second round.

Obviously it might be more trouble and confusing than it's worth, but it could be interesting with smaller teams and the team choice could play a big part of the second (and third) captains pick strategy, since there wouldn't just be a swap teams for a rematch.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

That IS a lot of trouble, but it sounds fun.

mirage has point, but I would be willing to consider that IF it continues to be a problem.
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Well tonight was the first real night of my weekly Captain's night in the past few weeks because of the holidays. We've picked up quite a few new members over that period that want to play on Captain's night.

I've thought about various ways of giving priority to those that show up to play. The obvious one would be the same way we handle reserved slots on the server with supporting members getting priority, then primer signers, then everyone else.

Probably the most true way would be to calculate how many complete games players have on the server for that week; those with the highest amount of games played for that week will be higher up on the chain to get a Captain's night slot at the starting time. Each map played could deduct games accumulated for that week allowing those who show up later to eventually have more priority after more maps played for Captain's night.

Comment

I personally just feel we're trying to program a solution to a social problem.

If you post up fliers for a game of [insert sport here] and say the first X number of people arrive will play, then that's that. If more people show up, it's between themselves who wants to drop out for a slot.

The most compelling argument I heard tonight was from Roland, whereby he did not want to buy a new PC just to load faster to vote earlier.

In that case, would a simple delay/timer on when Captain's mode may be voted for (similar to, or possibly just tied to the existing timer for executing balance) solve this issue?
                Once the 30 seconds are up, if you have more than 16 people in the RR wishing to play, at least everyone has a chance to opt in, and otherwise can discuss beforehand who should sit out.

Comment

I had been tempted to post a thread several times about a three team captains mode, or some sort of short three or four small team tourney multiple times before but never bothered (hence the jokes about spec team plays the winner).

And as far as loading times go, it all depends on which patch we're on. There's been several builds where I was always one of the first people to load, only getting beat by SSD folks, and several where I was always one of the last...
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I had been tempted to post a thread several times about a three team captains mode, or some sort of short three or four small team tourney multiple times before but never bothered (hence the jokes about spec team plays the winner).

And as far as loading times go, it all depends on which patch we're on. There's been a handful of builds where I was always one of the first people to load, only getting beat by SSD folks, and several where I was always one of the last...
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X