Admin command request: find player's real steam name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin command request: find player's real steam name

Is this possible? The other day, there was a player on the server who was good... really good... a little TOO good, if you ask me. They never missed a shot, they knew exactly where I (and many others) were hiding as they walked around a corner (where many other possible ambush points were available). I couldn't find them on the "current game" list of players on steam because they were using a different name there than they were in game. I finally just asked the person what their steam name was, they told me, and I looked at their "hours played" for ns2... 29 hours... I said something to the effect of "oh wow! That's amazing for only 29 hours of play!" and they quickly said that they played on their brother's account, and then left, never to be seen again...

I'm not saying they were 100% without a doubt hacking, there's evidence going both ways (see above, but they also seemed to know how to move effectively as marine i.e. not just standing still and shooting)

What I would like to see though is a way to check on suspected hackers like this. The easiest way is to just look at their hours played. If it's up there in the 300's, they're probably legit. If it's in the sub 30's like this guy was, further investigation is needed. I wouldn't kick them right then and there, but there would definitely be questions. The problem is, not everybody's ns2 name is the same as their steam name.

Would it be possible to have an admin command that reveals a given ns2 player's steam name?

Also, slightly related: have we determined whether or not that "whois" functionality was a performance hog on the server yet? I would really like it back if possible. I was on a combat server the other day where a player kept changing their name to the exact name of somebody else, and we couldn't kick them because we didn't know which one was the real one. Even when we did successfully kick them, they'd just come back in a few minutes anyways, but the point is I'd hate to see this crap happening on TGNS. As it is right now, if somebody DID try to do this, I'm not sure how we admins could deal with that, seeing as how we kick by name.

EDIT: Disregard that last part... it seems whois is back on the server and I'm just blind. :)
    Last edited by BeigeAlert; 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM.

Re: Admin command request: find player's real steam name

its a small PITA but, in console if you type sv_status then you will get a list of all players in game and their true steam I'd (the one that looks something like this: STEAM:X:XXXXX) and the name they are currently using in game instead of their steam account steam name. after getting their steam id, if you Google "steam Id finder" (on my phone else i'd link it) the first result is a tool to enter their steam id to then get the steam profile url. Now you can investigate/report as you see fit.

Comment

whois now shows this information in console for the given player.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Great! Thanks guys

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse