Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ns2_tgns_tanith

So...

I have changed tanith to (hopefully) be more balanced.

You can read about the changes in the workshop.

I have NOT play tested this yet, so I don't know if it'll explode when you load it. I finished the changes tonight (for the most part). I still need to do some work on the hives and stuff like that, but Marine Start is done.

You can find it here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=217095963

Please let me know what you guys think. I'll play test this tomorrow and hopefully we can get some time in on it tomorrow night.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: ns2_tgns_tanith

It exploded on test. Working to correct.
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

lol
      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

No longer exploding. Seems to be working correctly now. Have not tested pathing and the minimap is broken. I have no idea how to fix the mini, so I'm hoping that Beige or Orphan or someone will tell me how to do that.

Aside from that, the map worked as of 1/16/2014 at 11:48 PM.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=217095963

Please download and test. I will not be able to play tomorrow night (Friday), but I will be on Saturday. If you guys get a chance, test this out tomorrow night. I'd like to play it Saturday if it's working well enough.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Can you describe what is wrong with the minimap? I'm out of town right now and it's a pain to get ns2 working.

Comment

Here's how to fix your minimap:

1) Go here and download launchmap and extract to a folder. Follow the instructions to get it setup within the editor: http://ns2.gamebanana.com/tuts/11439

2) Run the new 'test map' option under the tools menu. You may get an error after it runs, and will have to load the map manually once the game opens. You should have the updated and working minimap now. Since you're editing a previously created map, the minimap constraints have already been set by the mapper so the minimap will still generate the full map properly.

3) Copy the new yourmapname.tga and yourmapname.hmp present in the ns2/maps/overview folder to your mod folder following the same structure. For example, mine for ns2_tow_veil is "Documents library\ns2_tow_veil\output\maps\overviews

4) Then launch your map through launchpad like normal. Any changes you make to the map just run 'test map' again to build your updated minimaps and copy them over again to your mod folder. I made a 1 click batch file to do this for me to make it faster while working on a map.

5) Before finishing your map for a release, run "update reflection probes" in the tools menu, to update all the reflection maps before running test map again (it may take a few minutes to finish). So then the pretty reflections around the map will reflect the world accurately to your changes.

6) Scale a 512x512 preview of yourmapname.tga and save it as preview.jpg in your output folder, so people on the workshop can see what the map looks like when browsing the workshop mods. Also make a 1024x768 preview image (or some size) once they open your mod in the workshop they have a bigger view of what the map looks like. Here's my tow map for example of what I mean: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=197586283
            Last edited by aeroripper; 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM.
            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
              Here's how to fix your minimap:

1) Go here and download launchmap and extract to a folder. Follow the instructions to get it setup within the editor: http://ns2.gamebanana.com/tuts/11439

2) Run the new 'test map' option under the tools menu. You may get an error after it runs, and will have to load the map manually once the game opens. You should have the updated and working minimap now. Since you're editing a previously created map, the minimap constraints have already been set by the mapper so the minimap will still generate the full map properly.

3) Copy the new yourmapname.tga and yourmapname.hmp present in the ns2/maps/overview folder to your mod folder following the same structure. For example, mine for ns2_tow_veil is "Documents library\ns2_tow_veil\output\maps\overviews

4) Then launch your map through launchpad like normal. Any changes you make to the map just run 'test map' again to build your updated minimaps and copy them over again to your mod folder. I made a 1 click batch file to do this for me to make it faster while working on a map.

5) Before finishing your map for a release, run "update reflection probes" in the tools menu, to update all the reflection maps before running test map again (it may take a few minutes to finish). So then the pretty reflections around the map will reflect the world accurately to your changes.

6) Scale a 512x512 preview of yourmapname.tga and save it as preview.jpg in your output folder, so people on the workshop can see what the map looks like when browsing the workshop mods. Also make a 1024x768 preview image (or some size) once they open your mod in the workshop they have a bigger view of what the map looks like. Here's my tow map for example of what I mean: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=197586283
              All accurate except #2. Builder doesn't run overview anymore, you have to do it manually now... why? No good reason, that's why. :(

EDIT: Oops, disregard that.

Comment

Awesome. I'll give this a go when I get home from work tonight and hopefully it will be completely finished by tomorrow. I'd still like you guys to test it tonight, if possible, and make sure it seems more balanced than it did.

Please note that the vents between the hives have been closed, so it is a waste of time to run down them. I will likely edit them later to close them more efficiently, but for now, I'd like to see how it balances without them.

Let me know here how it plays if you guys do test it.

:)

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Map should now be working correctly.

Let me know.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Steam Workshop says http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=217095963 "does not exist. It may have been removed by the author."

Perhaps you published as "Private"?

My server reports "Error: Mod 'cf09f1b', doesn't contain a valid title".
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Please scratch the above links. This is working correctly now at http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=218124396

I have confirmed personally and aero confirmed too. It is working flawlessly.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

We're playing this on Taunt now. JOIN US.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I've put this on both servers. Mom's onto something w/ editing this map.

Comment

I have applied some of the changes mentioned in the initial test. The vents are opened again between all the hives. I have added a node at Chem Trans, giving Aliens a sort of double themselves. This map will likely be split along lines with each team controlling a double. I hope that the way I have set it up will make for those long, crazy stalemate games to happen more often.

I have added a secret room, but have no finished it yet. Apparently, some of the items I put in the room do not exsist within NS2 but they do exsist within Spark. That means that since TGNS has consistency checking turned on, the server will not run the level with those items in the map. That is completely fine with me. I will be finishing the secret room in the future.

What I need to know:

Are the vents between the hives unbalancing games? Does it give Aliens too much early access to the map? We all know most games are turned one way or the other in the first 3 minutes or so... and I can foresee 2 gorge tunnels going up quickly with these vents.

Do I need to change any of the hives? This is a major undertaking and will take longer to accomplish. Marine Start was absolutely crazy to try and work around, so I can only imagine what it will be like to change an entire hive room. That said, I'm not against it if it means for better fighting.

Does the map need any additional objects? What I mean by this is: do I need to add more boxes and crates and tables and things for Skulks to hide behind. Do I need to add pipes for Lerks to fly in front of to gain cover on exit? That kinda thing. Please keep an eye out for this as the map is played.

Any other opinions or ideas, please add them here.

Wyz had mentioned that he would like to see the hives set up to be able to have Marine bases on them. Anyone with that idea please know that it is a major undertaking to change a map not designed for multiple marine spawns into a map with multiple marine spawns. I can do it, and I will do it, but it will take me quite a while. If we have enough people interested in that, please let me know.

As for the rest of it... I've noticed that by adding 2 doubles in this map, it gives teams a new strategy that I haven't seen before. With two well placed gates or tunnels, it will be easy enough to control both sets of double nodes, giving any team 5 nodes early. The problem with that is that both teams have generally easy access between both doubles, and each will take constant defending against any decent team. But, it should allow a team to be able to control enough resources to combat against the other team controlling 3 tech points. Hopefully, if I have devised this correctly, it will mean that Aliens can have all three hives, and Marines will still have a chance at the game if they can control both doubles. Just food for thought. :)

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I love the idea of playing this map more in the interest of its improvement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X