Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing Michael Jorden

No one likes to lose.
    However, giving up because someone's skill is much higher than yours is weak.
    Yes, they may beat you 100 times to your every victory. However, if you are constantly trying to beat them, changing how you approach them, working with others, and even practicing skills you know you are weak in, eventually you will notice that they will get you only half the time. Then you will go play someone who is on par with your skill now and you will be that crazy good player that wins 100 times to their 1...

TL;DR - Don't give up! Use better players to learn from and get better yourself.

Re: Playing Michael Jorden

Like, people are saying, before the game has started, that, because of perceived skill opposing them, that they're giving up before the game starts?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

If war was like this, "oh they beat us before, lets not challenge them again" life would be very one sided...

But NS2 is not real life its a game, and games were made to pass time while having fun (NS1 was real life).

If you keep getting beat by the same player, for one game team up and focus on this player, try to work out why this player keeps getting you. You might loose the match, but next time your will be more prepared.

Remember at TG part of the game is about having fun (both sides). If you and your team keeps beating the other team, one of you swap sides and help the other team out by showing them how they might play better.

If one team keeps loosing then they will leave, soon after there will be no players on the server to play with, then “no one is a winner”.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

This is the exact reason i like playing games against players like joshyy or any other comp lvl people. Playing against players of that caliber will make you better.

Comment

Different people have different goals. If you don't have a competitive drive, then getting stomped by a team can get you down. If you do have that drive, use it to help coordinate your team do overcome that obstacle/enemy through teamwork and strategy.

Don't ask me how to beat a team that is mechanically more skilled, as I have terrible strategy.

Comment

I think what Zowart means to say is a lot of what I've said in the past. Just because the other team looks OP doesn't mean that we're going to lose this game. NS2 is a very fluid environment, and it only takes one mistake to change the tide of that game.

Personally, I think we should hide the scoreboard for the first few minutes of the game. There really isn't a good way to stop morale from dropping after balance finishes other than that.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

I played several games yesterday and for some reason denalb was on marines every single game. Half the games were landslides. I ended up on the alien team at one point with a team that looked decent, but outmatched. I started out by asking for gorges/lerks/fades, and played it like a captains match. It kept the momentum up and help the team work together and kept morale up while facing denalb.

So, point 1 is... if you're on a team like this; rally, speak up, and be the leader. In NS1 it always struck me that a team with *someone* taking charge almost inevitably did better than one without, regardless of the competency of that leader.

In the same game, denalb and another player were holding down logistics (our hive was right next to this). People kept spawning and immediately going in and trying to take them out, often-times in groups of 2 or 3. It came to a head when a lerk and some skulks went in, and I yelled for people to stop paying attention to logistics and go to the rest of the map. They (marines) weren't doing anything there, and we were just wasting time and sacrificing our lerk by entertaining them. Immediately after everyone respawned we went and cleared a threat in elevator (where we had a tunnel), rushed server, and won the game.

So, point 2... try to keep perspective, don't get tunnel-visioned by the good players that may not be accomplishing much. Often-times, ignoring them will effectively cause them to be a waste of space on the marine team; and while they are there, and the marines are down a man, you can go take the rest of the map. Even in this dangerous case with the marines right outside the hive, a single gorge probably could have kept them out/delayed long enough to give your team a breather and do some damage elsewhere... especially with the support of crag/whip/clogs/hydras to blockade the marines.

and point 3: Tunnels are amazing. They give your team increased mobility and make it a lot easier for a com to hold an extra rt without needing to worry about the cyst chains. For much of that game we had a tunnel to repair and to elevator. That gave us three RTs and three tech points. Not amazing, but it let us hold on.
              remi.D

Comment

just wanted to give this thread a bump. It has important points that need to be reiterated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                  Like, people are saying, before the game has started, that, because of perceived skill opposing them, that they're giving up before the game starts?
                  I was really busy the day I posed this question, and I didn't follow up. My tone in this quote is one of disbelief.

To whatever degree what my quote above describes is actually happening, it's not to be tolerated. At all.

If you're so defeatist that you can't even be bothered to /start/ a game, keep it to yourself or leave.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

To be honest this thread title is misleading. If leads us to think that to win the round you must be able to outperform the other team by use of skill, tactics, or teamwork. This is blatantly false.

To win you must only kill their final command station.

Now, generally speaking that is usually achieved by winning engagements and superior map control but we've all been in plenty of games where that was clearly not the case for the winning team.
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I'd like to reference a round from a captain's round this past Friday. As aliens both our lerks/fades flashed and our 2nd hive flashed too; calm leadership saved the round and we came out victorious.

http://www.twitch.tv/koizuki/b/517122709

Comment

That was a frustrating game. I succumbed to the pressure of being captain + com and could not provide the same calm leadership that the marine team needed. ;)
                        remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
                          To be honest this thread title is misleading. If leads us to think that to win the round you must be able to outperform the other team by use of skill, tactics, or teamwork. This is blatantly false.

To win you must only kill their final command station.

Now, generally speaking that is usually achieved by winning engagements and superior map control but we've all been in plenty of games where that was clearly not the case for the winning team.
                          In other words, sneak a couple extra balls behind the guy and toss them in repeatedly to win. :D

Comment

Question: Does the must listen to com rule apply, if they and half your team are trying to throw the game because they think it's a stack? This has happened to me a few times recently and I never know what to do. As you know I'll play any game thrown at me. Please advise. :(

Comment

Yes. Follow orders unless/until you can eject your commander.

If you're unhappy with how the commander or anyone else is carrying himself, create a thread in CAA forum.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X