Can we take off friendly fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we take off friendly fire?

Also, alien melee attacks average around 50% accuracy while marines hover around 15%. Much easier to hit someone with a stray bullet / lerkspike than a stray swipe.

Comment

was friendly fire on the ns1 server at full damage or less? does anyone remember?

Also, i dont mind the FF and if there were to be any changes i think the only one should be that it doesn't effect structures. just my opinion.

Comment

I do want to speak in support of YerMom. Personally I love FF, I've played using it in NS1/2. I prefer that is lends itself to better care and tactics.

However I personally feel its current implementation is too weak for marines to really have effect, and too pronounced on aliens.

A few days ago marines were clearing Repair Room on Tram after destroying the hive. There was a gorge tunnel in the resource node area, and I was grenade spamming it. I cleared at LEAST 2 clips, and then Concussion spoke up that I should stop as he was in there...

8+ grenades to a marine and he's agitated, but alive.

As a group of aliens attacking a phase gate, we all know the most effective way is to grind the gate. Fades play a huge role in this by being the primary damage dealer when marines come through. The amount of fades that have either been killed by a skulk when the gate dies, and the amount of times s/he has been injured to the point of having to return to a hive/gorge for a heal is significant enough that it does have an effect on game play.

If a few marines successfully make it through the gate, or otherwise reinforce the area, one bite on a fade may be the tipping point on whether s/he engages the remaining marines, or abandons his/her teammates in order to stay alive.

I've always had mixed feelings about the marines' ability to recover/sustain technology and upgrades, while aliens are severely set back when their tech is lost, but I've gotten at least accustomed to it. I do, however, inasmuch as I LOVE FF, understand the frustrations of YerMom and other players who use higher lifeforms, and often needed lifeforms for team success, when they speak of FF causing them concern.

As Micro said, Marine/Alien parity is not the point of NS2. But if FF has an effect on the teams, the impact of it should at least be comparable.

Comment

Good arguments in these posts. I spoke with the admins about it, and I've decided to remove FF from the server. The energy contributed by FF has proven not-quite-right for us overall. I've loved the brainstorming on how to improve it, but the patience required (in both me and you guys) to develop and test those changes isn't warranted given the fact that stock damage leaves us in such an acceptable state.

Apologies for dragging this experiment out so long. I really didn't anticipate it being such an experiment.

I'm very receptive to revisiting FF in the future as it matures.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

My parasite kills have picked up so i dont mind having FF off for now. Fun while it was up though. Good tool for learning positioning.
            Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X