Tips to improve aim on marines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to improve aim on marines

Anybody have any tips for improving aim on marines and getting more skulk kills? I'm pretty terrible at hitting skulks because my fps drops to around 15-18 fps during heavy engagements, but here's what I go so far:

1) Position yourself to provide maximum LOS to your target. Let the skulk come to you if possible.
    2) Pulse fire your gun instead of spraying gunfire like its an action movie.
    3) Watch the map.

Any more?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Tips to improve aim on marines

Staying away from skulks is key but jump prediction is big when you are forced into close combat with one or more attackers. I'm not sure the best way to articulate this but "predicting where the skulk is going to jump or the direction of his attack then jump away from that spot (also known a dodging)." Often times I find myself jumping towards skulks if they are on the floor and I think they are going to jump directly at me for the attack (this way I jump past them without getting hit and attacking after forcing a 180 of the engagement is much easier for marines as the skulk will have to waste one jump to get back to you before attacking again whereas the marine can handle the 180 then start shooting). This is just one close quarters "move" that I've found to many times be effective especially if fighting multiple (so marine's fate is a foregone conclusion) skulks attacking from the same direction (I've "split" skulks before using this move then done the 180 and somehow killed both while only taking a bite or two). I in no way claim to be "pro" and prefer to just have fun but win at the same time and this little move is a fun move that sometimes works...or your prediction is wrong and you jump right into the mouth of a skulk...

People have complained about the jumping and strafing mechanics in this game but imo the mechanics are pretty solid now (solid as in fun for both sides).

Comment

One thing I've been trying to train myself to do lately is conserve bullets on verticles. Lerks and Skulks, and even Fades sometimes, use verticles to their advantage all too often. Bouncing off walls, flying straight up.. it's much more difficult for a Marine to up, down, AND left, right than it is for him to shoot left, right. My solution to this has been to stand there like a nub and not shoot till I have more left right than up down. I'm basically conserving the movements my finger has to make on my track ball. You guys using a mouse would likely benefit as well. It has shown improvement in my combat, but is proving to be a difficult thing to learn to do.

Another thing that I've found to benefit Marines... it doesn't exactly help aim, but.. stop knifing the node. NS2 is about equal parts strategy and speed.. and it's generally much faster to shoot the node than it is knife it, not to mention when you get right up on the node and start slashing, it generally takes away from your maneuverability and the ability of your team mates to cover you. It is MUCH more damaging to the Aliens to lose a node than it is for the comm to drop you a box of ammo.

Make sure that you keep LOS on your allies. More often than not, I try to serve as bait rather than killer. I seem to be much more able to dodge skulk bites than the guys I find myself running around with... and that means that, while I can't kill the 4 skulks trying to eat me, I may be able to distract them well enough that my team mates can kill them while I dance like a hippy in a pot field.

STOP HUGGING THE HIVE WHEN YOU SWARM THE ROOM, PLZKTHNXCUZITSDUMBANDDOESNTWORK.

Mom
      Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
      Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
      Forever Perplexed

Comment

So kind of related, but I just ordered a 'new' quad core CPU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's just under the max CPU type (Phenom II 955 95W) my old motherboard will support for about $135. Hopefully it'll eliminate the fps lag I get when both of my cores are getting maxed currently when shooting at skulks during heavier engagements :D
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

aero, please let me know what results you get. I considered a similar upgrade (from a slower quad-core).
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
            One thing I've been trying to train myself to do lately is conserve bullets on verticles. Lerks and Skulks, and even Fades sometimes, use verticles to their advantage all too often. Bouncing off walls, flying straight up.. it's much more difficult for a Marine to up, down, AND left, right than it is for him to shoot left, right. My solution to this has been to stand there like a nub and not shoot till I have more left right than up down. I'm basically conserving the movements my finger has to make on my track ball. You guys using a mouse would likely benefit as well. It has shown improvement in my combat, but is proving to be a difficult thing to learn to do.

Another thing that I've found to benefit Marines... it doesn't exactly help aim, but.. stop knifing the node. NS2 is about equal parts strategy and speed.. and it's generally much faster to shoot the node than it is knife it, not to mention when you get right up on the node and start slashing, it generally takes away from your maneuverability and the ability of your team mates to cover you. It is MUCH more damaging to the Aliens to lose a node than it is for the comm to drop you a box of ammo.

Make sure that you keep LOS on your allies. More often than not, I try to serve as bait rather than killer. I seem to be much more able to dodge skulk bites than the guys I find myself running around with... and that means that, while I can't kill the 4 skulks trying to eat me, I may be able to distract them well enough that my team mates can kill them while I dance like a hippy in a pot field.

STOP HUGGING THE HIVE WHEN YOU SWARM THE ROOM, PLZKTHNXCUZITSDUMBANDDOESNTWORK.

Mom
            People knife the rt so they have a full clip when the skulks show up to defend it. Later in the game when it's more likely some higher lifeform will show up and the rt-killing runs are more suicide missions, fire away.

Also, core i7 all the way!

Comment

Core i7 is a waste of money when you can get everything you need from an i5, easily. My PC literally laughs at me everytime I try to max it out, and I easily saved $150 between i5-3570k and i7-whatever.

And, as far as knife the rt goes, I'd much rather get the RT dead than risk a win or lose scenario against a skulk, bullets or not. I find that it is much more likely the RT will die if I shoot it rather than knife it. One lost RT for aliens is worth much more than one lost marine carrying stock gear.

Mom
              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
              Forever Perplexed

Comment

Core i7 is a waste of money when you can get everything you need from an i5, easily. [...]
                Everything you need .. dependent entirely on workload and programs used, of course.
                While a majority of users will be fine with an i5 (or even an i3) the i7 has its uses, especially in heavily multithreaded, or large multitasking scenarios -- think content creation, etc.
                I use my PC for way more than gaming, and my workloads justified taking advantage of the extra threads provided by an i7. Yes, they are technically "hyperthreads" and not true dedicated CPU cores driving them, but as it stands, typical threads aren't completely saturating that core anyway so there's some spare horsepower there.

As for the knifing/axing the RT instead of shooting it -- Beige referenced one scenario, where you may need a 'rapid response' weapon in case a skulk comes to defend.
                But for me -- and I don't believe the numbers have changed, but if they have, do let me know -- it's down to the amount of damage you can cause over time. The axe will deal more damage in the same amount of time to a structure than a level 0 weapons LMG. I forget if the tipping point was weapons 1 or 2, though.

That's not to say every situation calls for knifing instead of shooting, though. Even if you have level 0 weapons, if you have a huge sight line on the RT (think crevice RT on summit) it would be much safer to shoot it down, as you have lots of time to prepare/reload for incoming skulks.

Comment

These are great tips, I know i need the assistance when it comes to this. Along the same lines, i'd love to hear tips/tricks for playing as skulk from some of the more experienced players around. I've been trying to concentrate on jumping/bunnyhopping to get around the room/map quicker, though i'm not sure i have it down just yet. what else?

Comment

Originally posted by jack^ View Post
                    These are great tips, I know i need the assistance when it comes to this. Along the same lines, i'd love to hear tips/tricks for playing as skulk from some of the more experienced players around. I've been trying to concentrate on jumping/bunnyhopping to get around the room/map quicker, though i'm not sure i have it down just yet. what else?
                    Try to fall back when you engage a marine with a skulk pack and you are the lead. The bullets wasted on you will help protect your buddies, and if you fall back they will likely switch targets... at which point you can rush back in to try to help finish them off. This tip works especially well with higher lifeforms. You should always not just be considering about landing bites, but also taking as many bullets as possible before retreating. Often-times, the bullets you soak will be more of a help to your team than landing a few bites. Lerks going in and doing this before a skulk rush basically leaves the whole marine team reloading as the skulks close the distance. It's great.

You MUST parasite. Wait until the last moment, as you're closing the distance, but the para is key. Even if they have armor 1, parasiting them allows the rest of your team to know what's going on giving you better response time to threats and preventing sneaky phases. There is not enough parasiting going on in NS2. I am an advocate of parasiting RTs as well (more info for your team), but UWE for some reason made structure parasites wear off after a certain time which makes them very non-useful.

Even when you're alone, it works well to hide behind something for a second in the middle of an engagement to make the marine waste a bit more ammo or to bait them into reloading. Use your surroundings, zoom in for a single bite, zoom out, go back in to finish.

Ah, and look at your map before you enter a room so you can time your entrance with other aliens at other entrances. Aliens are all about working together and forcing the marines to split their attention. The easiest skulk to kill is the one that comes in first, so never have only one skulk be first. If you are on your own on one entrance and they already know you are there, tell your teammates to go in as you draw their attention.
                    remi.D

Comment

Really good advice in this thread. Some additions:

To purely increase aim, try playing some instagib mode of ut2k4 or quakelive.

To increase battlefield effectiveness, when you move out, be as far away from the other marine as possible while still keeping line of site. Shooting at your buddies feet while he does the same is the way to stay alive. If a skulk is biting you as long as your buddy is looking at you, shoot to save his life, not your own. This takes a decent amount of trust but is awesome when 2 marines can hold against a 3 skulk ambush or 2 skulks and a lerk in say acidic(tanith) or skylights(veil).

This also means take wide angles around corners. If you are leading a group of 2-3 people, do not just turn right immediately around a corner. Its more important to win engagements than to move super quick across the map. Walk a few steps forward before going around corners.

Also, depending on how you move your hand, lowering sensitivity MAY help if you are just starting with FPS. Its really hard to change habits later on...

Comment

Core i7 is a waste of money when you can get everything you need from an i5, easily. My PC literally laughs at me everytime I try to max it out, and I easily saved $150 between i5-3570k and i7-whatever.
                        Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                        Everything you need .. dependent entirely on workload and programs used, of course.
                        While a majority of users will be fine with an i5 (or even an i3) the i7 has its uses, especially in heavily multithreaded, or large multitasking scenarios -- think content creation, etc.
                        Ah, well that's me. Need a good CPU/GPU for vfx work, and since it helps playing games too, I'm not about to start complaining. :)

Comment

I have a Logitech G5 and I what I do is increase the sensitivity for aliens and decrease it for marines.

As for a skulk tip, the best that I know of is 1) use your ears and 2) stay off the floor unless you're traveling at a high speed. Oh, and bait the crap out of marines. I love going into a room that has, say, 3-4 marines (with 2-3 skulks following me) only to promptly get the marines attention and direct their fire toward me and away from the doorway then up to the ceiling (now is when the dudes following me breach the doorway to flow in while the marines are all herpa derpa blasting away at me, the decoy).

There are almost limitless engagement scenarios in NS2 for both alien and marine though which is why it's so fun and has such a high level of replay-ability. Half the time if I actually have a gambit in mind before entering a room it turns out that the plan will have to be changed dependent upon the behavior of team mates who I'm just hoping are on the same page and adversary's reaction.

Comment

I skimmed through these responses and will probably be saying the same thing as most, but I'll break it down on what I've learned to play better NS2 in this edition of "Wall of Text".

First of all, FPS is key. I started playing NS2 with about 30-40 FPS and was terrible. Once I build a new computer and have a stable 100+, my skill just magically increased. I had the basic mechanics, but not the FPS to keep up with the other players. It made a huge difference.

Now down to gameplay:

Marines:

Marines is all about positioning, dodging, and tracking with LMG. Shotgun is twitch aim which is basically being able to snap straight to a target and shoot them, as opposed to tracking them with your crosshair.

Positioning can be easily practiced just by learning the maps. Marines need to stay in open spaces, away from walls. That's really it. Don't chase skulks in to confined spaces (especially doorways). ALWAYS CHECK CORNERS WHEN ENTERING THROUGH DOORS.

Dodging is complicated because you need to predict where a skulk is going to move, then move the opposite way to force distance between you. I can only tell you this comes from playing against them, and watching videos of marine vs skulk mid-high level gameplay. You start to see a pattern that they like to do. Many times, though, it's a simple as facing them as they approach, and strafing/strafe jumping left or right while shooting them (and keep moving left and right while attacking). If your facing multiple skulks, always try to damage them all, don't focus fire on one just to kill it.

Tracking is simply eye hand coordination. I don't burst fire, I spray while tracking an alien that is moving left/right/up/down. You learn it by playing. You practice it in pubs until you get good at it. If you want to practice your aim in general I suggest playing something like CS:GO. I think it's helped out quite a few players that have done it after I talked them in to it. Also, you need to find a sensitivity that works for you that isn't too sensitive. You want smooth motion, you never want to be moving so fast your cursor moves too far ahead of a wall jumping skulk. Start very low (like 1.5) and work your way up until it's comfortable (I'm at 2.5). Raw Input On and Acceleration Off is my best advice. Use setsensitivity in the console to change sensitivity with a number. The slider bar is no good.

The last advice for marines is with your team. Never be too close to another marine, but always keep line of sight on him.

Aliens:

I'm only going to give my short simple advice for skulks because it's really important and that's all I feel comfortable giving advice on. You need to parasite every marine you see before engaging, and you need to use speed and wit to avoid them. Good skulking is 3 basic rules.

Rule 1: Don't fight alone. Skulks should never be 1v1 against a marine, skulks are very fast and it doesn't take long for a buddy skulk to come help you defend a res node until higher lifeforms can take over defense.

Rule 2: Parasite. The key to aliens is the first engagements on a map. When you know they are going to be in a certain spot, you parasite them all, and you wait for them to move forward in to a small space that works well for the 2 or 3 skulks that are waiting with you. Never rush in to a room that 2+ marines are already in. You will lose 75% of the time. Parasites give everyone on Aliens a better view of where all the marines are so that you can successfully perform rule number 3 to skulking. Always parasite marines before ever engaging them. If you lose the fight, at least you know where they are going for when you get your revenge.

Rule 3: Kill Res. As a skulk, the best defense is a strong offense. After the initial engagements with marines, you need to be on their res. It doesn't take long for lerks to get on the field and handle the marines that try to get on offense, and your job is to delay any upgrades that may get your lerk buddy killed. The only way to delay that is to keep their res down. Use parasites to see where they are, let them slip past you, and move in on their res. Don't try to kill them and then go for res. Let them move in to a different room, then start biting their res. You have new spawns that can come defend the marines who you let through. If you can force all of your engagements to be a marine coming to defend their res. You're doing it right.

So then that leaves the advanced advice on what to do if you need to engage. Always try to flank a marine that is about to attack other skulks, and when you are in melee range of a marine, stop jumping. Everyone always tells the noobs to never walk on the ground, but this is actually the best advantage you have when you are in CQC with a marine. If you jump, you can't move again until you land. If you are already on the ground at their feet, you have 360* of movement to use to dodge bullets while you bite.

Of course a lot of this can change dynamically as your commander may give you specific orders, but these usually still apply no matter what.

If there are ways to improve on this, or some things that are outrageously wrong. Let me know so I can change my style and get better as well.

Comment

I cannot talk as marine since I`m awful at it.
                              As for skulks, here`s a few tricks :

- If you are travelling in pair at high speed, having the first one bite and keeping your forward momentum (read : Keep on sailing) let your buddy finish him with absolutely no problem.
                              -- > Marines, especially good ones, will always face towards the expected position the menace should be at and get an accurate shot at it. You won't be at the usual spot and taking the time to aim you down will be all your buddy will need to finish the job.

- The last point brings me on how to win your encounters as a skulks, or at least survive long enough to get your buddy in there : Never be where you should be at.
                              Good marines got the most usual pattern of attack memorized, not to say mastered. Get the first bite then take a vector that won't be in his direct line of fire, or at least as very high X and Y axis changes.
                              -- Plan your bites, wait for the good moment, and take one. Only take a 2nd if you have the element of surprise, or 100% confident the marine's current ressources won't be enough to kill you before the last bite is taken, and that this bite was the last required to get the kill. Don't be greedy, unless your fate was to protect an higher lifeform.
                              -- Keep a close hear on his ammo count, engaging on the last two bites on a marine with < 10 bullets on his LMG is almost a sure win, same goes for a SG shooting his 6th shot.
                              -- Use other marines as cover, especially the ones that have chosen to to reload their LMG rather than switch to their sidearms (usually the one helping your first target).
                              -- Don't straight-line rush a marine that have just switched to his pistol. Count to 8.
                              -- Try to chose your encounter emplacement, plan your escape and re-entry. Narrow corridors lets you jump from on side to the other and attack from above, make good use of it, especially against SGs.

- Against JPs, dodge bullets while slowly closing the gap. If you can get one bite on them, they usually enter the panic mode, and at that point, all you have to do is mess around until they do their final escape, which is usually when their JP is red. Keep your leap for that very moment where they are the weakest, and get your kill. Strangely enough, marines forget how to strafe when they have this thing on their back...

-Work as a team. Be there to take any opportunity your buddy are giving you, and be ready to give some, even at the cost of your own (meaningless) skulk life.

That what goes for me, at least :/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X