extra goes to Marines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra goes to Marines

The admins have agreed that, while there is the occasional exception, gameplay is generally better served if the Marines have the odd/extra player.

Balance has always sent the extra to Marines, but we've not enforced this mid-game. Now we do. You'll get an error if you try to join Aliens when teams are the same size.

This is not enforced during Captains Games (we could, one day, if it makes sense -- we just flat out excluded Captains Games from the design of this change at this time) or bots play.

Nothing changes about who switches to Marines when they're down by two. No imposed rule/logic. Social selection/decision.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: extra goes to Marines

It's a good idea, but does this scale at all for the server size? ie if only 8 people are on, this could make a huge impact, but if we're 15/16, that one extra marine might not make too much of a difference, and it would be safe to let the extra go to aliens.

But maybe you guys have already tested and figured this out.

Comment

We decided it scales.

Like everything else, we'll re-evaluate after observation.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I don't really understand the logic for this. It seems like it is an old habit that has stuck around since NS1. In a game where both sides lose 1 player to command, I fail to see the point of forcing the extra to always be on a specific side. What is the logic for it? Why should the aliens always be out numbered? If you are going for a more "balanced" approach, it seems like a better mechanisim to achieve that is to have some sort of skill gage to swap players if a game is too obviously one-sided early on. (This is something that was done in NS1 and worked pretty well to stop people from stacking.)

Even if you keep it, what is the point of forcing the odd player to ALWAYS be a marine? (1,3,5,7, etc.) If 2 players are on each side and 10 people are in the ready room, why should I have to go to the marine team to join the game? It is obvious that more people will either join after me and balance more players to the marine side.

Given the other post about trying to get people to stop complaining about the team they are on, I would propose that this server feature is working counter to that desire.

Comment

I agree with the change if it helps gameplay as I find it does take more effort to micro marines but i also agree with xaviers post as it was an old NS1 way to balance teams due to the command only being on marines. Try it out and see how gameplay is i suppose.
          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

The big difference is that Aliens don't ALWAYS need a Comm while Marines do. Alien comms can do this and that and hop out to help for a while. Marine comms cannot.

Gotta remember Alien healing is in the field while Marine healing is via Comm.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

We decided that giving the marines the extra would more commonly bring better balance to the game.

I don't enforce below 3 marines, so as to give folks a change, sometimes, to join aliens when teams are empty. Beyond that, I didn't intend to accomodate aliens getting the extra in any game size, even small ones.

Your point about giving people another reason to complain is valid.

Comment

Not sure if it's related to this change, but I just joined chuckle and it was 3 v 3, and couldn't join a team. The error message was:
                [BALANCE ERROR] Balance is currently assigning players to teams.

Comment

Not sure if this is working as intended. Lot's of players are just getting frustrated. Good intentions, but I am against this.

Comment

It occurs to me that an already stacked team can be forced to get even more stacked if aliens are under-skilled and a high-skill player in the ready room is forced to join marines. I say we take this off and just let people on the server balance things out as we have been all along.

Comment

My experience today with this was good, but that's because marines kept having the weaker team and were down a man so the extra really helped.
                      remi.D

Comment

When the error appears, players are now sent to Marines.

Matrix, if you're able to repro the "can't join at all" problem, please give me steps to repro (w/ as much detail as you're able).

Comment

Whether it's caused by this, or something else, I've noticed marines getting up to 9 players many times in the last few days. It does appear that people are very quick to balance it back out though (or maybe you have something doing that, not sure). Just a heads up.

Comment

I last night fixed a 9v7 defect caused by this. Reserved slots /sometimes/ causes same. Never hesitate to report feedback. I/need/ it.

Comment

Wyz, respectfully please remove this feature. I've struck up several conversations on the server and each one the players agree that it hinders gameplay and generally just frustrates them. I haven't seen this produced balanced games.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X