Captain's Night 1/31

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Captain's Night 1/31

Looks like captain's night will be on Taunt tonight since Wyz needs Chuckle for testing purposes. Games start at 7pm CST like always. I'll announce the password to the server 20 minutes before starting time. Be sure to filter for passworded servers. Please review the thread below from last week about the rules going forward.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...ease-read.html

Re: Captain's Night 1/31

pass is tgns789

Comment

first round was fun, lots of good communication. thanks again for doing all the hard work herding cats tonite miragezors

Comment

Originally posted by spiffjbug View Post
        first round was fun, lots of good communication. thanks again for doing all the hard work herding cats tonite miragezors
        first round i was an acci-captain... and failed the team picking metagame (since i only knew who like 4 people were who were on at the time).

other games, lots of fun :)
        remi.D

Comment

Great games, excellent teamwork and good attitude !
          5 hours of fun :)

Comment

Loads of fun tonight guys! Thanks to everyone that participated. See you next week!

Comment

Good LORD that was fun. Thanks as always to mirage for organizing.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                Good LORD that was fun. Thanks as always to mirage for organizing.
                Yeah. I'm still recovering from those last two...
                remi.D

Comment

Sorry had a dinner tonight or else might have been able to join you. I'll try again another time, glad to hear it was fun though!

Comment

The last Veil game was hilariously fun. best moment for me to witness was the triple onos kill. We lost that round, but man watching the bloodlust from my teams hunting them down was hilarious.

Comment

maybe for next week if you captain a round, you aren't allowed to captain the next round. It'll help us get more captains/different teams/interesting games

Comment

Originally posted by jack^ View Post
                        maybe for next week if you captain a round, you aren't allowed to captain the next round. It'll help us get more captains/different teams/interesting games
                        Even worse than having similar teams game to game is having a captain who decides the game for his team before the game begins by failing the meta-game of team picking. Maybe we could expose each player's ranking to the captains so that the barrier to being a captain would be lowered. Score per minute numbers don't show the whole picture, but I'd be much more up for being a captain if I had some way other than blind luck to choose a player if I don't know everyone on the server at the time.
                        remi.D

Comment

It always comes down to the same thing with Captains... and it is a fundamental problem, imho... we're gonna pick THESE guys for THESE reasons first, and everyone else is like filler.

I know that not all captains do that. I've watched Wyz murder a team pick by selecting strategically sound people over the "pros" who regular our server.

I love Captains games, don't get me wrong... but it very easily reinforces the idea that I really want removed from my TGNS experience that... it takes awesome players to win games. Our community here is young and naive, and it's easy to believe this is the case, but it's not. TGNS cultivates and sustains an environment that allows us to remove the cliche of "we're going to lose because X is on the other team". And allowing people to pick teams based on that X is basically like saying, "TGNS knows you're more likely to win with him because he shoots better than others." When TGNS should be saying, "You're more likely to win with good coordination and team work than you are with great shooters."

Once we remove the stigma from our mind that we need certain people to win, and we replace it with "We can win this with coordination and teamwork", then our problem with team choosing is solved... and I think we'll begin to see less of the "pick the best shooter first".

Rem... the problem that I have, based on what I've said here, is that SPM data cannot accurately depict a player's ability to coordinate or work well with others. Balance data is very skewed when it comes to Comms, and I think we all know that Wyz can take just about any team with the right amount of coordination and win games in the Comm chair. That, in my opinion, makes him much more valuable to me as a Captain than God's 40-2 lerk, or Zek's 40-2 fade. Retraced is often looked at as an epic player, too, but when I pick Retraced, I don't pick him because he's beast mode with a shotgun... I pick him so I have a very rock solid field captain that will lead my men, and assist me in the chair. This is the way TGNS should be played. I have to admit that I'm also guilty of "OMG THAT GUY WENT 42-2 WITH A LERK" and immediately want to choose him... I think we all are in the drive to win.. but the fact remains... that's not the community that we have fostered and grown here.

Mom
                          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                          Forever Perplexed

Comment

To be a captain currently you need to know every person who is on the server, their playstyle, their skill, how much they communicate, etc. I absolutely agree skill isn't everything, but if you don't know who they are, you will be slaughtered if you try to captain against someone who does. Team picking is a game in its own. In NS1 I loved doing it because I could pick the winning team 9 times out of 10. The only reason I could do that though was because I knew every person on the server better than the other captain, and so could out pick them at every pick (picking their favorites first, and leaving the ones that I know they undervalue to pick up myself later). In NS2, I can't, although I would be willing to. I don't like being the reason 7 other people have to slog through two crappy games, and I'd rather have samey teams captained by Jack/Rad/Aero/Wyz than to do that to you guys.

If the problem is that we don't have enough captains stepping up, this could help to alleviate some of the reasons why it is a daunting prospect.
                            remi.D

Comment

I think the idea that YOU are the reason is a problem. You're not the reason. You never can be the reason, according to TGNS standards. My point is that it SHOULDN'T matter who you choose. If they have a P or an A in front of their name, they should be expected to be capable of winning games without epic shooters... and any loss from them has NOTHING to do with the captain that picked them.

That's VERY likely the main problem with people stepping up to Captain. People always think "It'll be my fault if we lose." No. It literally CAN'T be your fault. You picked your team, and that team did not put forth enough coordination or teamwork to win. Every single time I hear, "We can't kill this Fade," I go back to this line of reasoning. Yes, you can kill that Fade. You're just not coordinating well enough to do so. It has nothing to do with who can aim and who can't. It has nothing to do with the Fade's skill. It has everything to do with positioning and communication. You put that Fade in a room with 4 guys, and put 2 other guys on his exit using COMMUNICATION... then he's very likely to die. This is stuff we saw in NS1 days... it does not happen in NS2, and it's a social problem.

And, besides, all this is based on losing the game. I have to remind you guys that it is a game. There has to be one winner and one loser. And you will not always be on that winning team. It's impossible. If you come to TGNS just to win games, and you lay blame on someone because you don't win those games, then it's very likely you're not cut out for what we're trying to accomplish. Play to have fun with your friends in a strategic and verbal environment that is unlike any other place in the NS2 community. Don't play to go 40-2 with a Lerk, or win every game. Play because you know the guys you pick for your team will listen to what the person you pick to lead them says. And if they don't... we're at another social problem that can be handled via authority. Win or lose has nothing to do with picking teams, imho.

As lame as it may seem, the best reaction to losing the game is saying, "Darn... we lost."

Remi... I don't mean to be argumentative. The problem I'm trying to address is one you likely haven't seen yet. We have a mindset that has developed at TGNS that you have to have these guys to win the game. It's a mindset that I don't believe has a place at TGNS, and I'm sick of it, tbh. Sure, if it's a stranger, I can understand. But every person on our servers who wears a P or an A is only limited by their ability to work as a team. Aim or not, skills or not... if you have a leader that is up to par, and a team that can follow orders, it doesn't matter who gets kills and who doesn't. I believe we're at a point in our community's growth that is hard to get through. TGNS1 saw the same thing early on, and ultimately flourished to be what we all remember it as.

It should be important to note that I do not agree with displaying SPM data to anyone who may be picking teams for reasons pointed out here, and also because I, personally, enjoy the variation of games when the Captains are like "WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!"

Mom
                              Last edited by YerMom; 02-02-2014, 02:34 PM.
                              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                              Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...