Captain's Night 1/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Captain's Night 1/31

Taken to it's logical conclusion, there would be no reason to have team picking at all when playing captains mode. Team picks do make a difference, and the purpose of team picking is to try to balance the teams out better than our plugins can, which lead to games that are on that knife's edge. In order for this to happen the two captains need to be pretty much equal in their ability to rank the players.

Maybe one of the issues is that right now the captains need to step up in that 60 seconds or so. There's no time for figuring out who the two captains are going to be, and so when you opt in to be a captain you are potentially going to be picking teams against someone who is much better than you at the team-picking meta game. If we had more time, maybe it would be more like how commanders are sometimes picked (e.g. "we have a noob com, could you guys put someone new in the chair too?"). In NS1, we had interactions more like that when picking the captains.

I do not want to captain against the regular captains. Maybe we could try something like this next captains night. Give more time to select the captains, don't require they opt in for it during the captains vote.
    remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
      I think the idea that YOU are the reason is a problem. You're not the reason. You never can be the reason, according to TGNS standards. My point is that it SHOULDN'T matter who you choose.
      In an ideal world, sure. But we are not all equals, and by the time the games starting bell sounds, the first battle has already been fought (in the picking of the teams and commanders). Just like the commander must take some of the blame for a loss, I think so does the captain.
      remi.D

Comment

I see your point, Remi. And, you're right. In a perfect world, sure.

Perhaps you, and others like you, are the exception simply due to your inexperience with the regulars. I may have overstepped my bounds based on something that I've seen multiple times in multiple captains games and failed to realize that your point is more geared toward the middle ground between my conflict and your conflict, whereas I'm combatting a system that recognizes players for skill in killing and you're combatting a system that doesn't give you information on the skills a player has.

But I digress... we can't just have people not captain because they're afraid to lose. The whole point of the game in my opinion is to play the game for that one experience when you shouldn't win, but you do. If I won every game or lost every game, it would suck both ways. It's those gem games where Marines do a crazy comeback, or the "scrubs" overwhelm the "pros" for an epic win. Those games aren't possible without your conflict in the ready room on Captains night.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

I think part of the issue is that there are "expectations" of a captain. But honestly, no one can be expecting you to meet certain standards or get mad at you if you dont, if they themselves aren't willing volunteer. And note that being captain does not mean you have to be commander. This last friday was the first time i've ever captained and it was mostly because no one else would. Games should be about having fun, learning and improving yourself. Though i understand that some people are a bit more competitive than others

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
            I'm combatting a system that recognizes players for skill in killing and you're combatting a system that doesn't give you information on the skills a player has.
            Exactly.

Originally posted by jack^ View Post
            I think part of the issue is that there are "expectations" of a captain. But honestly, no one can be expecting you to meet certain standards or get mad at you if you dont, if they themselves aren't willing volunteer.
            I agree with the sentiment, but not the statement that you can't judge others performance in activities you can't do yourself. I have an expectation of how Wyz will perform when he jumps in the com chair. Up until today, I would have said I can't com... but I still would have been disappointed if he was not responsive or communicative, as I expect more from him. But yeah, I think it's easy to forget that we are all human and thus fallible, especially in the middle of the game; and even more-so to remember the burden of command. You get the lion's share of the blame when you lose, and disproportionate amount of the credit for the wins.

we can't just have people not captain because they're afraid to lose.
            Anyways, this thread gave me the courage to try commanding today. :)
            remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X