Need new computer tips for NS2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new computer tips for NS2

So after an ill fated BIOS flash on my old motherboard trying to do a cheap processor upgrade, I'm going to purchase a new computer soon. Here's what I'm thinking of going to get:

Originally posted by aeroripper
    Motherboard

CPU

RAM

Videocard (recycled Nvidia GTX 460 1GB)

PSU (recycled 600W something or other)

DVD RW Drive (recycled)
    A few things I've been hearing/reading about:

1) The FX-8350 overall has weaker processors than the quad core i5 3570k, even though it has more available threads. It generally does a bit better at multitasking, and non-gaming stuff than the aforementioned 3570k. The general consensus I've read is that you have to spend $100 extra between the mobo and cpu to get the i5 performance premium in games.

2) What about the motherboard? I like USB 3.0 and that stuff, and it has a PCI express 2.0 x16 slot for my gtx 460. I prefer having a full size ATX board.

3) Heard good things about G. Skill RAM. All that I really need right now is 8 GB. What frequency should I be buying?? I hear 1600 is standard, but been looking at the 1866. Will that motherboard support 1600? Is there really that much of a difference?

4) I've heard that with the PSU more always better. But I'm looking to get by with a 600W for the immediate future if possible.

It's pretty much coming down to price for me, and I really want to keep this upgrade below $400 max, and why I'm going the amd route over intel. I'm pretty much building this for NS2, and running fraps at the same time occasionally while recording 1360x768 hd video. I've used the 8350 before and love its instant multitasking ability while playing ns2.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Need new computer tips for NS2

This how I did my shopping when I last upgraded:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

they do Video cards and other stuff too.

The graphs give a really easy to process breakdown of bang for your buck. Of course a benchmark isn't the same as the actual power you may or may not get out of it (depending on what you're doing, but I used it to get an idea of what I can get in a large scale sense. Ie. if two processors were side by side in the score, but one was $200 cheaper, I would avoid it because it's probably got cheap parts or whatever. Where if you look by price, you can grab the lower end of the range in the mid-high end scores
    sigpic

Comment

Do yourself a favor, save a few extra paychecks and buy yourself a core i7-4770K. Hell, even get a core-i5-3770K. They'll both perform better in NS2 than the AMD CPU. Newegg has a combo 4770K with motherboard for $450, and then pair it with the best dual-channel pair of RAM you can afford.

Comment

I know it's an odd place to recommend, but my builds have been from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/406-buildi...uary-2014.html

I hackintosh my PCs, so it's nice to have hardware that works, but moreso, the Gigabyte boards and memory have been rock solid.

I've built my current gaming rig, and two "hackintoshes" for church media PCs.

I think the 3770K is the way to go. I was looking to upgrade soon, and what I've read states the i7 doesn't give the performance boost quantify the additional costs, unless you need something outside gaming for that power.

Comment

Aero if your palnning on using Asus auto tune for overclock (which you should imo) i would go for the http://www.amazon.ca/Asus-M5A97-R2-0.../dp/B008V9959O which is the big brother version of the one you chose. Pretty much the same price but the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 as the VRM chips do not have heatsinks and when you try and overclock using that board, the MOSFETS overheat, throttling back the performance of your CPU. Other than that your choices look pretty solid.
          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

If all you want it for is gaming, the i5-3570K is definitely the better unit in terms of price (i mistyped earlier when i said 3770K, that's the i7 version). It's still competetive with the 3770K and 4770K, and the only difference is you don't get hyperthreading with a core i5. If you're not doing heavy multitasking workloads, you won't really notice any performance gain going from a 3570K to a 3770K, or even a 4770K.

Originally posted by rad4Christ View Post
            I know it's an odd place to recommend, but my builds have been from here:

I hackintosh my PCs, so it's nice to have hardware that works, but moreso, the Gigabyte boards and memory have been rock solid.

I've built my current gaming rig, and two "hackintoshes" for church media PCs.

I think the 3770K is the way to go. I was looking to upgrade soon, and what I've read states the i7 doesn't give the performance boost quantify the additional costs, unless you need something outside gaming for that power.

Comment

I'm pretty sure everyone is expecting me to comment here. I've been screaming about my build for months now... I'm sure you guys get it... I love my new PC.

So, I'll keep it as simple as possible.

Mobo: anything z77 or better.

Processor: If you want to spend the money, get the i7. It's worth it. The Haswell port may or may not be the future... it's iffy. So if you plan on upgrading, go with an 1155 socket, imho. If you plan on overclocking, you want anything with a k. I've got the i5-3570k and it performs very well for me.

RAM: RAM is very touchy. There is no RAM controller available today (to my knowledge) that is capable of running anything over 1600 mhz in a long term environment. As of... 6 months ago, 1600 mhz RAM is as fast as RAM gets off the line. Anything beyond that is overclocked, and will ultimately burn out your RAM controller. Again, this is as of 6 months ago. So... 1600 mhz is as high a frequency as I would recommend. Dual channel or quad channel... reviews are iffy... I've got dual channel, but I haven't looked to see if it makes a difference.

You've got a vid card, so you don't need to worry about that.

My PC handles anything I throw at it very well except for BF4. I can run BF4 on high settings easily. I can run EVERYTHING ELSE I play on Ultimate... and throw all the extra settings at it, and it's like, "psh... whaaaat?" and laughs at me.

My specs:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz LGA1155 CPU
              Corsair High Perform Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz2x4
              ASUS P8Z77-V LK -- Intel Z77 Chipset, Smart DIGI+
              MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST TFOC 2GB GDDR5 PCIe
              COOLMAX CL-600B ATX12V/v2.2/Core i3/i5/i7 PSU
              Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case
              Total: $1,500 - I could have saved quite a bit had I bought a barebones kit, but I didn't want to have things I didn't want. I also had to buy things one piece at a time due to circumstances, which cost me money in the long run.

If you follow this build, you're looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...707&CatId=6982
              $359 for i5-3570k, 8 gigs of DDR3 1600mhz, and the z77 chipset on the mobo. I don't really like gigabyte mobos, but it's a nice deal. That's AFTER $60 rebate.

i5-3570 is $229 by itself here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...004&CatId=1969
              z77 ASUS mobo is about $120 here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...888&CatId=6976
              That's $350 before we throw in the RAM, but it is a better mobo, imho.

Your choices vary... but you should keep in mind that you can always do more later. $500 bucks for a new core to your PC isn't bad at all, especially considering the room you have for improvement later on. If I were in your shoes, I'd take the $500 deal listed above.

Of course, you can use Amazon ebay etc...

Mom
              Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
              Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
              Forever Perplexed

Comment

For power supplies, yea you can get the bare minimum required wattage that I assume you've calculated using a psu calculator... but I usually add on a few hundred just so it'll last longer. The wattage it can provide will start to decline over time, and these things are a pain to change out. Also, go with a good brand, no cheap knockoffs. Cooler Master, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling... few others I can't remember as well.

Comment

My recommendation:

Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

A site I strongly suggest you use would be http://pcpartpicker.com/

It will give you the lowest cost based on the sites you allow it to select from (Covers all the ones I would shop at, Newegg, Amazon, Tiger direct as well as big names such best buy, staples and supports checking for stores nearby for in store pickup) And will it check that you are not making a big mistake (such as buying a Intel CPU and an AMD motherboard)

I used it when I made my current build about 15 months ago or so ( http://pcpartpicker.com/user/s2r2/saved/15UL )

Some physical dimension restrictions it can't check (although they claim to be working on it), But unless you are going for an ultra small build or using very large parts. You generally be just fine. (MY CPU cooler attached the the motherboard and case with maybe a 10th of an inch clearance. It was tight but I got it in there.

When it comes to a PSU, a good name high quality PSU that is rated at 800 would be better then a cheap one that is 'rated' at 1600. Figure out how much you will need multiply it by 1.2 if you are not going to do upgrades outside of just adding more ram. If your going to do some big upgrades, it could be from 1.5 to 2 or more. Depending on what you plan to add.
                    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

Wow thanks for all the great info/links! I gotta look through all that stuff.

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                      My recommendation:

LOAD gorge rush. Insert disk 1. Insert disk 2. Insert disk 3. Beacon! Remove disk 3, insert Disk 7...

Comment

Lost and Yer Mom, how would you rate your NS2 framerate with your respective setups? I'm now leaning much more towards spending a little more to get the i5-3570k. Are you able to maintain 60 fps during the heaviest firefights? What would the typical average FPS be for you?

Do you have all the details maxed (including ambient occulsion)? I will be running at 1360x768 for the game since that's the resolution of the TV I play on so hopefully my current gtx 460 1GB will manage better.

Here's my current build I've made:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2LBhR

I'm planning to upgrade my gtx 460 later down the line. I would like to overclock the 3570k, but I've never done it before. I'm familiar with monitoring my CPU heat temps though, but unsure about the effect on my memory/gpu etc... voltages.

EDIT: Wow, I ordered my old computer a few months over 6 years ago back in Nov. 2007! Had to replace the GPU and the mobo after 2-3 years since they got fried, though. Still pretty good longevity for 6 years!

Build I've been playing NS2 on:

CPU Fan
                        Motherboard
                        PSU
                        Case
                        CPU
                        GPU
                        RAM (added 4 more GB later)
                        HD
                        Last edited by aeroripper; 02-01-2014, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Lol... Aero, I maintain 120 fps during... the entire experience?

I haven't hit 60 fps in any game except BF4.

This list includes:

NS2
                          WoW
                          Starcraft 2 and the expansion
                          Elder Scrolls Online Beta (which isn't even out yet... my fps in that game is like 200 steady)
                          Skyrim (and all mods)
                          SimCity (the newest)

I can go on and on... I play all the above games on Ultimate (with all the bonus stuff [even the nvidia ns2 settings, which makes ns2 all shiny and epic]) settings and maintain over 100 FPS at all times during the games. I have not once seen my FPS fall below 100 during any firefights or intense moments. In WoW, which would easily draw my FPS down... I maintain 118 or so FPS during raid fights including 40 players and lots of mobs or giant boss fights, etc.

BF4 beta is the only game I've played that drops me below 100 fps at ultimate settings. If I run the game on high settings, it maintains 100+.

As far as resolution... all those games are set to a custom resolution on my 42 inch LCD... it's 1080p HD, though. I think it's like... 18 something by 1080p. But, it's basically 1900x1080p, if I recall correctly.

I haven't overclocked myself... but if you do, I can assure you you're looking at another $100 or $150 in water cooling for overclocking beyond... 4 ghz? and that's a guess. I know you can work these processors up to about 6 ghz... but you need a very, very cool system to do so.

I can spill tons of information and benchmarks and opinions at you, Aero... but it is much, much easier done over voice rather than text. If you want to talk, let me know and I'll schedule it.

Mom
                          Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                          Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                          Forever Perplexed

Comment

I get you some number during tonight games, but I play at 1920x1200 with all settings max (that includes ambient occulsion) and I don't notice any lag from the game. The few times I have looked at FPS, I normally see somewhere between 60 and 100.

But when you add in the fact you playing with about half of the pixels I am, you be able to maintain a rate in theory about twice what I got right now with similar hardware.
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

i'd highly recommend getting the i5 over the AMD offering as your performance will be much improved with the Intel chip. also the only reason to go with an i7 over the i5 is if you need the additional 4 logical cores and unless you're compiling code or doing serious image or video editing...you don't. I'd also say that you may want to see about upgrading your video card while your at it. I can't remember the gtx 460 specs exactly (and am on my phone atm) but while NS2 is definitely a CPU bound/bottlenecked game due to logic threading your rendering could possibly still be improved with a faster GPU. You could do the build with the 460 then in NS2 check if you have any render thread wait times in r_stats (iirc) to know if upgrading your gpu would be worth while.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X