Need new computer tips for NS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need new computer tips for NS2

Okay I'm already at the top end of what I wanted to spend for this new build, but after doing a ton of research, here it is:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=29653407

Going to purchase tomorrow I think. Would love to upgrade the GPU, but that will come later on as my current one should still do well enough. Will look into getting the H60 water cooler later. I imagine the stock cooler should do fine at stock voltages which I'll probably be at for a while.

I decided to get a new case since my old one is falling apart (reset switch/power switch stopped working, had to splice wire to at least get power going a few years back) and my power supply is 6 years old and I am unsure if it was causing my "computer starts, then turns off problem until I reseated the GPU, then later, having to re-seat the cpu to get it to start again" problem. Maybe its just the switch? Probably time for a new one anyways.

I went haswell over ivy bridge even though the performance difference seems minimal, and was only slightly more expensive. They both seem to overclock well. Might be more future proof if intel does a few more chips in the 1150 socket size.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 02-07-2014, 07:35 PM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

The new Haswells that are released Q4 this year will be using a different socket even though the pin count is the same (yep, thanks Intel you as******) but they've intentionally been defuture proofing peoples systems since Conroe so dont feel bad about that just wanted to go you the FYI. You should be able to get a decent overclock on stock cooling as long as you don't up the voltage. I have an "old" i7 920 overclocked to 3.4 iirc and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon...and get ~90-100fps consistently in NS2. I think you'll be good for another 6 years with that build (other than eventually upgrading the gpu). Good luck and have fun with your build! Freshly unpacked PC parts is one of the best smells in the world lol

Comment

Yes! That smell is undeniably one of the greatest on the planet. :)

The only concern I'd have with that build is the Haswell socket, but that CPU will easily last you for the next few years by itself, especially overclocked. Haswell just seems like it's not taking off the way Intel thought it would. I think people are comfortable with the Ivy Bridge and they just don't like the idea of changing it. I know that model and the 3570k have both been recorded at overclocked to 6 to 8 ghz and running successfully. You can easily get 4 or 5 ghz out of them with minimal cost in cooling.

Good call on not getting RAM over 1600 mhz. You don't really need 2400 mhz and you probably bought yourself another 3 to 5 years of RAM controlling power. :P

You will be very happy, I'm sure. That z87 chipset won't do you wrong. You're gonna see the BIOS when you finally get it built and boot it for the first time, and go "Good lord what have I been missing?!" Pretty much the same setup I have right now minus the GPU, but the one you have will do everything you need. Make sure you remember to set all your NS2 settings to MAXIMUM POWER.

One thing that doesn't get mentioned often, but it is a good tidbit of advice... any PSU over 500 Watts is susceptible to leaking. Just make sure you watch for small changes in your power bill. I've got a 650 and I haven't noticed anything yet (it's about 9 months old or so), but I've read multiple reports of people leaking power from their PSUs when rated that high and their bills going up by 50 to 100 bucks a month.

Mom
        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
        Forever Perplexed

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. After some adjustments here's the final build I ordered yesterday:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=25035206
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Nice build. I was always a fan of the HAF series cases. I love the bottom mounted PSUs and the side-facing hard drives. It makes it real easy to do your cable routing behind the motherboard tray.

Comment

This makes me want to build a new computer...
              remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X