Error message, cant play ns2... tried almost everything.. help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error message, cant play ns2... tried almost everything.. help

I have tried everything I can with this error message, im not sure whats wrong.

Exact error message.

Authentication failed. If other multiplayer games do not work ethier, then steam could be down or your firewall is blocking it.

Re: Error message, cant play ns2... tried almost everything.. help

Try restarting Steam and trying again? Let me know the latest.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Yea its def not a simple as restarting steam.

I have

Reinstalled
      Restarted
      Deleted app data
      Deleted mods data
      Deleted users
      Verifyed interg
      These are suggestions from the ns2 community site, no success yet.

Comment

Can you play ANY Steam Games, or is it only NS2?

Comment

All the other games are fine

Comment

Did you buy NS2 directly through Steam or through some other method?

Comment

Preordered it about 2 years before it came out haha

Comment

I've spent the last couple hours lightly researching this issue. It seems to me that multiple games across the entire Steam platform have had problems such as this in different areas. The solution remains the same in almost all cases... Wait till it works again.

Unfortunately, I know that's not good enough for you.

A good way to tell if your PC is the culprit or if it is Steam related or even NS2 related is to try to play the game on another PC. Even if it's a PC that will not run NS2... download steam, download NS2 and try to run the game to see if you run in to the same problem. Most PCs these days will at least run the menu for NS2.

If it cannot, it is more than likely an NS2 or a Steam issue. It sounds more like a Steam issue to me.

Go to Google... search for this: authentication failed ns2 steam

I'm seeing multiple pages of posts and things that my lead you to an answer.

http://www.issteamdown.com/ may help you, too.

Do a full reinstall using this guide:
                http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...way-to-be-sure

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...omment_2170993
                I didn't read that entire thread, but that guy was having the same problem as you.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1180864
                Here is another thread about more people having the same issue, it seems. Didn't read this one either.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/blogs/y...made-easy.html
                This is a guide I wrote to optimize your PC. It's complicated and can be overwhelming. Feel free to PM me here and I will walk you through whatever you may need help with. I would recommend at the very least running ComboFix on your machine. You can read about it here.

Other than that, good luck. It seems like this issue is abundant across the Steam network. Again, waiting and hoping seems to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, some of the wait times I've seen have been in the months area. One of those threads mentioned port forwarding helped them, though. Give that a go.

Mom
                Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                Forever Perplexed

Comment

Apprecaite the responce, Yea ive tried reinstalling, i have tried almost everything im seeing suggested. Hope it comes up within the next few days.

Comment

Have you tried ComboFix? It's a very powerful tool. It may not help you at all, but it also may resolve the problem, and many others.

Otherwise, I would definitely try another PC to see if it's associated with your account or your PC. That information is helpful if you need to ultimately take the issue to Steam.

Its also very good information for us, as we cannot troubleshoot an issue if we do not know what is causing it. If you can isolate that it is your PC and not the PC in the living room, then it is very likely your firewalls, etc. If you can isolate that its all the PCs you try to play on, then the issue is your account not the hardware.

Mom
                    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                    Forever Perplexed

Comment

I log out then log back into my steam account. Usually fixes it. If not, delete ClientRegistry.blob and try again. I get the auth error randomly sometimes on steam, usually during peak traffic hours.
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Going to try combofix, Ive tested it without firewalls active, I run avast antivirus inase it matters. I tried deleting the clientreg file, still no luck

Comment

Combofix failed, sigh

Comment

Malwarebytes has been my go to for most infections. If all web browsing, and even other games are fine, then I'm not leaning toward that. I would, however, check your hosts to see if there are any redirects. Also ensure no proxy settings and that the DNS for your network connection if set to auto, or 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 for Google.

Did you remove the NS2 user directory in your appdata folder?

If you've disabled all firewalls, and the above is clear, I have no idea. Maybe a clean install of the OS is all that's left?

Comment

Originally posted by waflz813 View Post
                              Going to try combofix, Ive tested it without firewalls active, I run avast antivirus inase it matters. I tried deleting the clientreg file, still no luck
                              Aren't you [email protected]? I saw you on earlier tonight.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X