More custom maps in cycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More custom maps in cycle

So Concussion1000 and I were talking, and we both agreed that ns2 gameplay tends to get a bit repetitive at times, and the biggest thing that helps prevent this is getting some fresh new maps in.

A couple of ideas for how this can be done:
    - Make one of the servers custom-only (or custom-majority), except for say captains night.
    - Add more custom maps to regular voting cycle. (kodiak still isn't up there, fracture is pretty good)

Thinking about it now, I think option 2 is more feasible mainly due to the lack of good custom maps at the moment.

Thoughts?

Re: More custom maps in cycle

Tanith can be added to this... if I ever get back on my desktop to publish the map............

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Comment

I know Wyz is pretty busy most of the time. Is there any chance someone could be designated the map uploader/updater to reduce stress on Wyz and the other admins? That is only if this idea was put into effect.

Comment

I'm not sure anyone CAN other than Wyz....

Would you guys be opposed to changing this discussion a little? I'm more of the idea that our mapvote system is broken. I think changing it to include X maps and exclude maps that were played in the last 2 or 3 games would make a huge difference in what you're talking about here.

Maybe?

Mom
        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by YerMom View Post
          I'm not sure anyone CAN other than Wyz....
          Any full admin can.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Look at Aero dropping knowledge bombs...

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

If I recall correctly, the current mapvote system already excludes recently played maps (maybe the threshold is too low?)
              It also runs additional logic when fetching eligible maps to vote for by comparing against server population at time of voting, I believe.
              I would be wary about increasing the threshold for not repeating maps, though. Stock NS2 contains so few maps that you quickly run into cases where mapvote gives you only 3 options.

As for custom maps, there have been efforts in the past (by Monty, and Mom) to try and get some play testing on custom maps, but most of them had negative reactions, partially due to design, and partially due to a general feeling of "it needs more work" / "it needs to be finished."

Comment

Played this map on another server last night, I kinda liked it. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...86&searchtext=

Comment

Is there any way to modify the voting process to include more than the 8 or 10 maps it currently does?

Comment

Personally, I think our starting point should be each other. We don't see caged in the vote list often, and everytime we do something like Summit beats it out. Veil even seems like a custom map to me because of our linear voting.

What do you guys think about changing the vote menu.. and making it only show 6 maps. 3 on the left are custom, 3 on the right are regular? Is this even possible, and if so is it something we may be interested in?

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

It's very simple to limit the number of maps shown for voting, and I believe we did limit it once before from like 10 down to 8, or so.
                      Setting it up so that specific maps, or groups of maps, appear on the left and right, not so much; not without heavy code changes at least. If I recall correctly from the last time Wyz and I had a similar idea for another function, it seems like Shine automatically sorts that stuff alphabetically. While not impossible, I don't think the benefits outweigh the complexity for this usage.

However, there is a larger problem at play, and you've hinted at it already:
                      We don't see caged in the vote list often, and everytime we do something like Summit beats it out.

The question is: why is this happening?
                      If the players on the server wish to play custom maps, they can already do so. Caged, and Jambi regularly show up in the voting pool, yet the server very rarely plays those maps.
                      Your reasoning seems to imply that maps such as Summit are the problem. However, that is not the true issue at hand. The issue is that players simply may not wish to play those custom maps, for a variety of reasons. Players choose which maps they want to play, and in the worst case, choose the least offensive map to them.

By artificially reducing the available map count (which is useful for other purposes, but not for your described scenario) you are essentially trying to force those players into playing maps they would not otherwise vote for.
                      If maps such as Eclipse has shown us any trends, if players are taken to a map they do not like, they will simply leave the server, oftentimes leaving the server with not enough players to fill a game, which then necessitates a switch back to Summit to re-seed the server.

Make no mistake: I feel this game is sorely lacking in map diversity.
                      However, attempting to force the server to vote on seemingly-unpopular maps is not the way to remedy the situation. I support the custom map nights as those are times everyone knows what they will be getting into. If, during these nights, players begin to gravitate toward specific maps, they may begin to hype the map on their own, and thus convince other players to give it a shot, and might actually enable a vote to succeed.

Comment

I'll say why I constantly vote against custom maps, even though I'd prefer to play them more.

People vote for them and leave.

It seems to me almost every time we go to a custom map, half of the players (including some who voted for it) don't stay until the next map change. We may have a full first round, but I can almost guarantee ~10 people at round end to stay.

Comment

Rad... I feel your pain.

I try to not let things like that determine my actions for the future. It's hard to say that X group of people are going to do the same thing as Y group of people.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

There's ns2_eon_remake http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=227841562
                            and ns2_machina_remake http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=224607614 that I have been working on,
                            as well as Shiva by Loki http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=226356313

Comment

Having choices other than caged and jambi would be nice. People just don't seem to like those maps (in addition to all the other reasons for voting against the maps) but I feel like people would be open to trying new custom maps.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X