Map Alterations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Alterations

So.. I'm putting together a list of changes that need to be done to maps that are mostly finished. Tanith is like 99% complete, imo, and just needs to be published and played to find if it needs any more changes.

That said, there are other maps that I enjoy that others seem to hate. I'd like to know why.

Pending the results of this thread... I may be changing Eclipse to harbor more early resources for the Marines to try and balance the map slightly.

This thread is directed at getting a more diverse selection of maps in the cycle. I think we all want this, but unfortunately some of the maps need to be changed.

Please use this thread to name any changes you would like to see to any running map in the server or those we do not play.

I will attempt to make the changes given enough interest. Please keep in mind that changing hallways or spawn points or node locations is an easy task; changing a hive is not.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: Map Alterations

Thats good that you are trying to make maps better but, i dont support changing map layouts for official released maps.
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I feel that we might want to wait until the next iteration of the official Eclipse. Not sure how far off it is, but hopefully they will fix the phase gate bug in that patch.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
        Thats good that you are trying to make maps better but, i dont support changing map layouts for official released maps.
        Agreed.

Comment

In terms of eclipse, I really question why UWE decided to move the Horsehoe/T-junction node into Keyhole.
          At the same time, I agree with Kalost - I would not modify the official maps.
          Even if it is questionable, they have put a huge amount of time into playtesting the map extensively -- far more than the entirety of TGNS has experienced the map at this stage.

Comment

That's the change I was referring to, Dark. I'm not changing the hallways and crazy stuff like that. It's INCREDIBLY easy to move resource locations. I just delete one object and place another.

But, it's important to note that this thread was not meant to revolve around Eclipse. I was asking more for custom maps like Jambi, etc.

If you guys have changes to request, request them here.

Mom
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I know you have the best of intentions, but it just strikes me as rude to adjust maps that are currently in active development, custom or official (especially in the case of Jambi where the mapper in question, remi.d, is an active member of our community). Again, assuming that the mapper is still active, I feel that in these sort of situations it would be best to report back to the original creator with what you feel needs to be changed, supported with playtester experiences.

That said, I definitely understand wanting to continue working on maps like Tanith that haven't seen many updates lately.

Edit: Also note that most of the actively developed custom maps are likely to receive some tweaks/updates after receiving critique from players in the ensl Custom Map Cup that is currently running.
              Last edited by Retraced; 02-10-2014, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I see where you're coming from Retraced, but...

That said, I definitely understand wanting to continue working on maps like Tanith that haven't seen many updates lately.
                These are the maps I'm looking for. I just used Jambi as an example because it's the first custom map that comes to mind. I don't really feel like it needs to be changed, and I'm always very considerate of people who are making maps. I first chose Tanith because of it's lack of balance. I second considered the last time an update had been posted on the workshop. Besides... we all know remi needs help, amiright? :P

I'm by no means trying to steal maps from people. When I posted Tanith I gave all credit for the majority of the map to the guy who worked on it last. Since then, I've learned that someone else made it originally, and I'm planning on giving him credit, too.

That said, any maps that I change will be stamped "tgns" due to my designs trying to iterate our focus as a community and also in an attempt to keep the maps limited in play to only our server. Beige made the point multiple times that putting "tgns" on a map will make others think it's some strange mod. While I can see that being a concern to someone posting a map for the entire community... I'm more interested in limiting the people who are interested in playing the map to people here.

And, on a side note, every thing on the workshop is open for edits by anyone at any time. That's the nature of the workshop. So while I can see where it may be upsetting for someone to change something that you've worked on for an extensive amount of time, I can't see how anyone can expect to post something to the workshop and it not have a solid chance of being changed by someone else.

And... if I may... as an example. When we were play testing Kodiak and we found a few balancing issues, the first thing I did was go to the creator because he was active. He responded and made almost all the changes I asked for. I'll ALWAYS go to the creator if they are active before I change maps.

Now that all that is clear, can we limit this to just letting me know what you'd like to see changed to any maps (active or not), and I'll take the proper course of action to get changes made given enough concern. Perhaps that's what I should have said to begin with. Lol.

Mom

Forever Perplexed

Comment

I'm not of the inclination to get into novel length reply 'wars' (using the term lightly), but I will respond with a quote from the OP: "I will attempt to make the changes given enough interest." I'm not sure how it would be unreasonable for me to assume that you intended to make the changes yourself- and aside from Tanith I'm not aware of any other custom maps that are on the server that -aren't- active.

The workshop may be a pseudo-public domain area but I don't see any need to have TGNS stamped on those maps, and I certainly don't see why the maps should be changed -going in- with the knowledge that it would alienate a part of the outside community ("I'm more interested in limiting the people who are interested in playing the map to people here"). Down to its core, TG is welcoming to members outside of our regulars, it's embedded in our reserved slots logic if nothing else.

You constantly collectively scold us and go on about TGNS is this, we at TGNS believe that, but (and I say this with respect; I am aware of how long you have been playing on TG servers) who are you to speak for all of us, or the admins for that matter?

Edit: That said, as I mentioned, I know you have good intentions and the idea of you stealing the maps was never in the equation. I just don't think that there is much to be gained in having a TGNS version of maps that are in active development.
                  Last edited by Retraced; 02-12-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of any mods that are server specific and game changing (however slight), such as our grenade mod, or the luckyfker balance mod. It's a pain to try to remember what is different the times I play elsewhere. Any server specific map changes would definitely fall in this category.

Since you were poking at the interest and mentioned Jambi yermo, last time I asked remi D in server if there was any active development he said he wasn't aware of any (it was a collaborative effort). My main issue with jambi is the minimap could use work and every time I've brought that up in the server there tends to be agrees so if you are looking for ways to improve any map we play that would be my number one suggestion.

As far as that goes, some updates to other "enhanced" minimap mods so they could be usable again on the workshop would be a good investment of time IMO. I'm of the opinion that a minimap can be one of the determining factors in how easy a map is to learn, which directly relates to its playability (although balance is a related but separate issue).
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Regarding Jambi specifically, if there are any improvements you make and we want to publish; I could get it into the workshop file. I believe xtc was the one who was maintaining the workshop file (and did most of the mapping work), but either way I know everyone who was involved and could get improvements pushed in. Also, given the nature of the map (it being a collaborative effort), I believe the others who were involved would be happy to see more mappers come in and continue to improve upon it.
                      remi.D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X