Social Issues of Late

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Issues of Late

The threads:More custom maps in cycle and extra goes to marines have got me thinking. I feel like there are some things that need to be said.

I'd like to say before I start that I'm by no means perfect. I make my own mistakes and I try to correct them as I go.

I think that there are people here that don't understand what we are trying to accomplish. Or, at least, what I think we are trying to accomplish. Please understand that I am speaking for myself... so if you read names here, they may not agree with what I'm saying. I don't want anyone to think that I speak for anyone else.

We have social issues. The issues aren't major, but they are harmful. We get in the server, and we get along and laugh and play intense games, but we're far from where we need to be. The reason for this, I think, is because many of us lack consideration for our fellow man.

We should not need a code that says, "The last man to join a team should go to the team that needs them most." We should not need a second server simply because we can't get our members to vote for maps outside the regular. We are here to be mature people and respect each other. Again, I make my own mistakes and I live with them and try to correct them... but I strive on a daily basis to consider all the people around me, within TGNS and also in real life. So when that map vote comes up, I'll be the first to hit Caged. When the teams are stacked, I'll be the first to jump on the losing team. I do this regardless of the terrible experience I'm likely going to have. I try to think, "Maybe I'll go Lerk and wreck people and turn the game around..." or "Maybe I'll shotgun that Fade and we'll win from it." Is it likely to happen? No. It may, but it's not about me at that point. It's about the 7 other guys who are having a terrible experience. Why do I have the right to choose the better experience and make their's worse?

TGNS has been standing for over 8 years, at least. I've been here through a lot of those years. I've watched the "gamer" change. I've watched TGNS accept things that 6 years ago would get you banned. Some of you may remember when I first started in NS2, I posted a few threads asking to tone down the language. The old TGNS I remembered would absolutely not tolerate foul language of any sort at any time. Today..... I've heard Wyzcrak cuss in the server, and it's accepted. Pretty sure his head would explode if he used some of the words he uses today in the old server. The point to this is that a lot is tolerated that wouldn't be in the past.

The problem that that brings is that our tolerance in the past was one of the main reasons we had the experience we did. Guys, we used to have games that could easily last 3 or 4 hours... epic, intense games that easily resonate through the years. There have been very few games I've played in TGNS2 that even come close to those games. It wasn't because NS1 and NS2 are different. They're not. Fundamentally, they're the same game. The problem lies in our attitude and our behavior. "This game is over" as soon as the Lerk dies. "Let's concede" if the Marines lose their first node. I get it. It's a busy world today, and we're all lacking in time... but there's more to it than that. Morale is a HUGE factor in this game, and nothing will kill morale faster than hearing someone you play with on a daily basis give up. "We're done guys." Even as you read that, you can feel the effect. I know I can. And that's not even in the heat of the game.

We NEED to come together as a community. God, if I may, I'll use you as an example. You're an epic Lerk. An absolutely epic Lerk that I can only hope to be one day. But I've seen you, on multiple occasions, jump on the Alien team as soon as you can. You enjoy Lerking, I know you do. Everyone knows you do. But, there is good reason that games are lost when you're on Alien, and it's not always because you're 42-2. The morale hit that the opposing team takes just by seeing your name on the scoreboard is rough. Some people think, "Ugh... I've got to deal with that for an hour," others think, "We'll never kill him.. the game is over." You like to Lerk and you shouldn't be denied the right to do that, but maybe every once in a while think about what you do to the other players in the server. Maybe go Marines if you've played Lerk a few times and wrecked the server. And you guys who immediately think, "Ugh"... try to think, "I'm going to coordinate with a few shotguns and we're going to kill him early...." or "I'll play bait for God so maybe we can get him off the field early." It's a change of attitude like this that will take our gaming to a level that I doubt many of you guys have ever experienced.

I know I'm text walling here, but it's worth it.

There are two other things I want to address. First... I think there are some people who may need to reconsider their dedication to our community. TGNS demands a lot of things from people... all of which are not fitting for the traditional gamer these days. If you rage all over 12 year olds on Halo or drop 90 bombs on COD nubs on a daily basis, there's a good chance I'm talking to you. TGNS is not a place that will tolerate the things that you do on a daily basis. Trust me... YerMom on Xbox and YerMom on TGNS are two different people. Hell, YerMom on WoW would probably surprise people here. I bring Mom to you guys in a way that no other community of gamers knows him... and I feel like TGNS expects you all to do the same thing. You know who you are. I'm one of you. Think about it before you go much further. Can you have two different personas and not let your Halo time bleed into your TGNS time? If not, maybe you should try another server.

Second... Wyzcrak's wisdom echos through the ages. He also typed more letters back in the day, too. This community nurtures an environment where you can go to your fellow man with a concern in a PRIVATE way (my apologies for going to God in public.. but you're a good enough guy to use as an example, right?) If you guys have issues with each other, and you feel comfortable working them out, then do so in private. More often than not, the other person will be receptive to your requests.

It is important to remember that your choices and actions make TGNS what it is. And, trust me when I say, TGNS can be a LOT more than it is today.

Mom
    Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
    Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
    Forever Perplexed

Re: Social Issues of Late

I just cant believe WYZ cussed.
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I get it. You're trying to talk about me, but you used God and his role as a lerk to replace me and my role as an exo.

In all seriousness we all just need to put our big boy pants on and make an active effort to help with balancing. Of course everyone wants to win, but like Mom said, the outcome of a good, balanced game overrules the short unbalanced domination.

Comment

While I agree with most of what you speak of yermo, I'm 99.9% positive that a design goal of NS2 was to have much shorter matches than the epic multi hour matches found in NS1.

Not to say NS2 can't have some epic matches, but simply that those matches should have shorter time spans by design.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I can definitely see where you're coming from with what you say Mom, but I'd have to agree with Roland about the length of games. Additionally, while some may consider 3-4 hour games epic, others may consider them a bit boring. Games can still be intense, they just don't necessarily have to go on for hours upon hours.

Comment

I'll agree the design is different. But, I'll also stand firm that our games can improve by 1000%... even Captains games.

And a lot of that is due to morale and sportsmanship.

I'm not really asking for 3 or 4 hour games as much as I am asking for our people to start considering each other a bit more.

Mom
            Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
            Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
            Forever Perplexed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...