Monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitors

I dont know much about monitors. I jsut bought http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49828 Does anyone know...did i waste my money? Does anyone have a high refresh rate monitor? Is it better than the 60Hz?
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Re: Monitors

Holy ****, for 500$ I'd say its not worth it for the cost, but that is a sweet monitor!
    DO AS I COMMAND - Megatron possibly the hardest working commander ever known.

Comment

I know Asus makes pretty high end 120 Hz + monitors. BenQ is also the "choice" for some pro gamers. I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you actually are getting 100+ FPS at all times to be able to use the monitor.

Comment

It says you can adjust the Hz 100/120/144, do i have to have my fps higher than the Hz or does it matter? am i going to vsync it or not. Should i set the monitor as close to my fps as possible?
        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Hmmmm i hope i dont have this problem but a fix is coming they said. http://www.blurbusters.com/benq-xl27...ng-fix-coming/ . not sure if it will be noticeable ill have to see tomorrow when its set up
          Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

My 120 hz monitor just arrived today as well! I had one in the past but had gotten rid of it when I wasn't gaming as often-- I'll answer what I can.

"Should i set the monitor as close to my fps as possible? "

Nope. Set the monitor's refresh rate as high as you can (make sure you are using a Dual Link DVI or Display Port cable), whether that is 120 or 144hz. You won't be getting the full benefit of the refresh rate unless your fps is at or above that number, but as long as you are averaging ~100 fps you'll see a real difference onscreen versus 60hz panels. In NS2 a realistic number to target for the better systems is between 140 and 200 fps early game, and ending up more at 110 - 150 by mid and late game. That's with with minimal Infestation, Ambient Occlusion, Shadows, and Bloom off and everything else on High.

"am i going to vsync it or not."

V-Sync off unless you're using lightboost, which is a whole 'nother beast. Since it removes motion blur almost as much as a CRT, Lightboost is particularly nice for NS2 and games where you make several large sweeping motions (Pilots in Battlefield, Scout in TF2). The problem is, it's tricky to configure and dims the display/dulls the colors considerably. They both can be offset with some work and research, but I'd set that aside for now and just enjoy the benefits of the stock frame rate display difference.

Your brand is fine- Asus and BenQ are the two most prominent manufacturers for 120+ hz monitors, but there are several good names around.

"did i waste my money? Does anyone have a high refresh rate monitor? Is it better than the 60Hz? "

It definitely makes a big difference, and it's something that I missed having months after I sold my old one, particularly because you usually end up with less fatigue/eye strain after long sessions, which I've had problems with historically. 'Won't magically turn a bad shot into an amazing one, and I think the mouse is still the most imporant component of your setup, but it definitely does play a part in improving your aim, particularly flick/reflex shots.

Comment

good info, 6 more hours till i can set it up.
              Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Monitors are definitely a field that I don't know a lot about.

That said, I can say I'm very happy with my 42 inch tv at 60hz. It's a TV... and I have to set custom resolutions... but, it looks amazing. That's mostly due to my PC, though, and not my TV.

We're going to be building a media room soon... I'm debating on how I'm going to set this up. We're putting cabinets on the walls that hide the PC and monitors while not in use, then open to be able to play. I'm considering 32 inch LED TVs at 1080p for them, but I'm stuck debating between dual monitors or one single 32 inch TV.

I've had major success with TVs as monitors. Imho, they look much better than a single monitor because they're designed to bring out more color and contrast. They are only lacking in resolutions compatible with my vid card.

Suggestions?

Mom
                Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                Forever Perplexed

Comment

You're supposed to ask these questions BEFORE you pay for stuff Kalost. ;)

On a serious note, I hope you enjoy it and give us an update.
                  aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Running it at 144 Hz at all times shouldn't hurt. I barely ever hit above 130 FPS with my 780 and 3770k at 4.2 GHz, don't know what you get with your dual 680s. The closer you set the monitor to your face, the better you will be. I heard Joshy sets his about 1 inch from his face at 144 Hz and that really helps him out. Through trial and error you'll figure out what works for you. I do about 2.5 inches.

Let us know how it goes, I've got my ASUS 27" at 60 Hz with 2 ms response right now and tried to get a 1440p monitor that didn't work out so well. Worst investment ever, but it works pretty well for Age of Empires II!

Comment

kk ill start at 3 inches away and work my way up, i don't think im ready for 1 inch yet. And Roland i get bored at work and buy crap online, its a bad habit....
                      Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

that was 500 Canadian too right? I know a few of my Canadian friends have done builds and I'm amazed at how much more expensive parts are up there (even taking into account the exchange its seems to still be more expensive than buying in the States). Hope you like your new monitor! I use a 27" forget the brand 60Hz/2ms response.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X