Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAC updated to read your DNS cache.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffens..._have_visited/

Be careful what other forums you visit. This method of detection means that someone could potentially hotlink an image from a known cheat repository and this could trigger an irreversible ban.

If there are any other active game communities within TG that play VAC secured games, please do your best to pass the word along. I didn't want to start 5-6 topics on the same thing, NS looked like the most active VAC title here now that CSS has fallen into disuse.

Re: VAC updated to read your DNS cache.

Not too concerned here since I don't frequent cheat sites often as its bad for both my blood pressure and rage meter plus I personally take any forum post that says "md5 hash is not full proof" with a big grain of salt. Thanks for the heads up nonetheless.

Comment

People cheat in video games? What is this, Contra?

On a serious note, thanks for the heads up. I know for a fact that my kids occasionally visit some cheat sites for console codes so I'll put this into their 'don't be stupid on the internet list' I've taught them.
      aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Last edited by OscarTheCouch; 02-17-2014, 01:51 AM.
        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

Some clarification here showing what about this accusation (against Valve) has and has not been demonstrated so far:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/c...ains_you_have/

Top-rated comment at the moment:

As someone who reverse engineers things for fun, and can read the C "pseudocode" generated via decompilation pretty easily, I am going to have to disagree with the assumptions made in this post. First, there's no proof this is from Steam, I've poked around a few of the DLLs since I saw this and am unable to find anything even remotely close to what this does. Second, this method does NOT send anything to Valve. This method grabs the DNS cache, yes. And it MD5s the entries, then it stores it. This method itself does nothing more with the hashes. For all we know VAC could be doing a LOCAL scan of the list, and comparing it to an internal list of "known" cheat subscription servers. Until someone posts details of exactly where in Steam this is (What DLL is all that's required to verify), and the calling method that supposedly sends this information to Valve, I would take this with a very massive grain of salt.
          I don't know what's happening, but I'd be none too surprised to learn that VAC is relying on your DNS cache as only one metric for determining which specific cheats to exhaustively check for (that is, the DNS record alone isn't grounds for punitive action), that they're /not/ sending your DNS history outside your machine, and that the "intrusion" of an anti-cheat inspecting your behavior in this way is addressed in VAC's typically unread EULA.
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Here's another related post on reddit, from Gabe himself: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...vac_and_trust/

Comment

Thought that was pretty cool that The Mighty GabeN came out and slapped those guys back into the Stone Age. I wasn't really sure where I was falling in this situation, and he really cleared it up for a lot of people.

Comment

Yes I appreciate their willingness to give more information in this situation as to what was being done.

Comment

Another post on Toms Hardware http://www.tomshardware.com/news/val...18351504753651
                  Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

tl;dr Valve is not doing anything mean or nasty.
                    Skud

Comment

Exactly. I like how Newell infers that those negatively affected by this "found" VAC tactic may be more outspoken, as their business model, or K:D status, may be in danger.

I also like how ,when someone calls him out on it, he simply responds that the internet cant' be lied to, and his stance will bear itself out by fire.

Valve and Steam have a lot of issues, but I trust them a lot more than any other dev.

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                        tl;dr Valve is [...] mean [...] nasty.
                        Got it. Everyone panic!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse