PSA: Welders!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: Welders!

You know those shiny armor upgrades you beg the commander to get, and ragequit when he doesn't have them by a certain point? Well, they might as well not exist if the majority of your team ignores the glory of the 3 res welder. If you have even the slightest expectation of fighting within a 10 second walking distance of just one other marine, buy one. If you're not certain, buy one. If you expect to save a res node from a skulk, buy one. If you have 70 pres and have not bought one all game, preferring to save for the exos that may not even come, I'm probably already in tears... but buy one anyway.

In all seriousness- some of our players prefer aliens, while I pretty strongly prefer being a marine. I've observed very many matches where pressure groups having at least two welders (or not) changed the outcome of the whole round.

As I mentioned on the server earlier today, at all stages of the game (but especially during the crucial midgame of shotguns vs. fades), welders are literally just as important as your aim is in -consistently- taking down those higher lifeforms. That applies when playing opponents that are even roughly at your skill level.

Tl;dr: Welders. Buy them. They are good.

Re: PSA: Welders!

Its my favorite weapon.

And its not wasted res, if you die your buddy will pick it up and start welding......or should anyways.
    Last edited by OscarTheCouch; 02-21-2014, 07:16 AM.
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I think I have a better K/D rate with the welder, most of these kills are miss fires while welding someone else :P

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Every time you buy a welder, a baby gorge dies.

BUY WELDERS. CULL THE XENO.

Comment

Welders? What are those? Are they delicious?

Comment

I prefer to scavenge welders off of deceased comrades instead...not that I'm cheap or anything...

Comment

Originally posted by Retraced View Post
              If you have 70 pres and have not bought one all game, preferring to save for the exos that may not even come...
              But...But..Mah Exos...

I tend to agree with FARVA. I pick them off of dead teammates. Don't buy them myself as often as I usually have the most deaths on the team, so I would end up spending a lot of res in a match just on welders. Whenever I get a jetpack, I always get a welder with my shotgun or GL.

Wise words though. BUY WELDERS. SAVE LIVES>

Comment

Originally posted by Concussion1000 View Post
                But...But..Mah Exos...

I tend to agree with FARVA. I pick them off of dead teammates. Don't buy them myself as often as I usually have the most deaths on the team, so I would end up spending a lot of res in a match just on welders. Whenever I get a jetpack, I always get a welder with my shotgun or GL.

Wise words though. BUY WELDERS. SAVE LIVES>
                I agree. I prefer to spend money on mines and shotguns, and scavenge others' welders. I also tend to pressure a lot and often die in alien territory where the res can not be reclaimed.
                In a game last night*, I bought 3 mine packs during the game and a shotgun. I was at 0 pres while everyone else was around 40-70.

*where re-traced was mad at me for not having a welder :P

I think part of the problem is we're all very cognizant about saving dropped shotguns, but a similar effort typically doesn't go into picking up welders (plus the weapon pickup code is pretty terrible about letting you pick up welders anyways) so buying that welder is 3 pres gone forever--especially if you tend to die quickly after spawning.
                remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                  I agree. I prefer to spend money on mines and shotguns, and scavenge others' welders. I also tend to pressure a lot and often die in alien territory where the res can not be reclaimed.
                  In a game last night*, I bought 3 mine packs during the game and a shotgun. I was at 0 pres while everyone else was around 40-70.

*where re-traced was mad at me for not having a welder :P

I think part of the problem is we're all very cognizant about saving dropped shotguns, but a similar effort typically doesn't go into picking up welders (plus the weapon pickup code is pretty terrible about letting you pick up welders anyways) so buying that welder is 3 pres gone forever--especially if you tend to die quickly after spawning.
                  I was furious! :P

It's not really a huge deal if -one- marine doesn't buy a welder, but then you're getting into the 'democratic' mindset ("I'm sure everyone else will do it, so I don't have to!"). The ideal of course would be for every marine to have a welder, but practically speaking you really want to have at least two welders for each push with 2 - 4 marines, and a third welder for pushes that have more marines than that. Yes, that means in a two man push both marines should have a welder. I have no idea how many times denalb and I have died both on TG and in scrims just because we were trying (and failing) to juggle one welder back and forth.

Picking up welders is all well and good if you're doing something else with your res (if you're not, seriously guys, buy one) but it does beg the question: if you had a welder to weld the marine who died with his... would he have died in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by FARVA View Post
                    I prefer to scavenge welders off of deceased comrades instead...not that I'm cheap or anything...
                    Considering I usually drop a jp+gl res worth of welders per game, You're welcome! :)
                    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I'm usually a piñata of welders and mines for the first fade/lerk to find me.
                      What makes me sad though is to see a bunch of welders on the ground and no marine picking them up, even if they don't have one themselves.

Also, as previously stated, not having a welder when responding to an RT is simply asking for the next skulk to finish the job in ~1min.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X