Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie Comm Night

Hi Everybody,

During last Friday's captain matches, a few of us in the off-server were throwing around the idea of a rookie commanders night. The idea being that the regular experienced commanders can help train other server regulars who'd really like to improve their commanding abilities, but are afraid up stepping up against a team with an excellent commander. This will ultimately lead to more players volunteering to command! For this to work the following must be true:

1. For the duration of the event, both sides have to agree to let less experienced commanders take the helm.
    2. Servers must have mainly regular players in it, because we'll need patience and 'hand-holding', something an unfamiliar pub player may not be in the mood for.
    3. The servers need an experienced commander or two that can coach them along.

I was thinking 9-11 EST on Wednesdays.

What are some opinions about this idea? Who would want to level up their commanding skills? Any experienced commanders out think they may pop in occasionally to help coach? It may be a good idea to do a one-time-only trial run.
    -- P> Singularity

Re: Rookie Comm Night

I would help with this, in participation if nothing else.
    aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Hi
      Using Tapatalk

Comment

I support this.
        Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Comment

I gladly support this! Though I *might* not be able to join in tonight, unfortunately. I've been very busy this week.

Comment

I'd be happy to participate in this when I can-- were you planning on trying to put it together tonight? We have several experienced comms on the server, but if scrims aren't running at the time it'd be fun to offer insight from the perspective of a field player (and sporadic comm).

Comment

I wasn't planning on making tonight the first go, since I wanted feedback first. I'm glad to see there is interest. Since there seems to be support for it, let's make next week, March 12 our first attempt at 9-11 EDT (daylight savings people). Sound good? I'll post a reminder when the date approaches.
              -- P> Singularity

Comment

I do this a lot when Re-Traced is on my team (I do this A LOT with him, but I know I do the same when I've got other experienced coms on the field as well). Whenever I get to a point of in-decision, I think what choice I'm leaning towards, and then ask over voice if that's a good call or which would be better. It's very quick and gives me a chance to validate my decisions and learn rapidly. Something like this would likely be a good format.
                Hand holding is ok for some stuff, but I'd rather see the com asking questions when he is getting stuck/overwhelmed rather than people just providing opinions and requests for tech and stuff that may conflict with what the com thinks is important at the time and with others on the field.
                We need to empower the noob coms to make the decisions and allow them to make the mistakes, while also providing a safe environment where questions can be asked and the people on the field will follow, not try to lead themselves (unless the com asks for someone to lead from the field, and even when the com's plans sound stupid).
                remi.D

Comment

I agree with you remi. The level of 'hand-holding' will depend on the rookie commander's skill going in. I think most regulars understand the 'theory' of commanding, and all they need is the experience and practice. Rookie comm night should be a safe place where one could build up their actions per minute, practice hot keys, etc. without being yelled at. I use the term 'coaching' lightly, and my intention was to have others around who could answer questions / throw out suggestions. For real coaching there are other resources like It'sSuperEffective.
                  -- P> Singularity

Comment

Reminder, join us on Wednesday, 9-11 EDT.
                    -- P> Singularity

Comment

We doin another one of these sometime? I can usualy comm pretty well on random servers but when it gets competitive around here I tend to fall behind. I'd also love to learn a few more strategies before trying to comm a captains game.

Comment

How did 12th Wenesday get on?

Was it a success and did you achive your goals
                        and has it been repeated since?

Been away from NS2 for a bit and like the Idea's
                        TG has always been about helping newer players in NS and other games

Feed back would be useful from both the trainers and the trainees to see if this helped or could be improved at all

Thanks in advance for your input.

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

Couldn't get it started. Some people wanted an admin to 'officially' say that it was happening before they'd participate. One week just saw too many 'strangers' and not enough 'regulars', which is one of the requirements for it to happen. I still want to see this flesh out, but without the voice of an admin, it is unlikely to happen.

Call your representatives and tell them to vote yes!
                          -- P> Singularity

Comment

Ya'll are more than welcome to host this type of function on one of the servers, just understand that not everyone might find it agreeable when they connect to the server.

Comment

another good time to familiarize yourself with the chair/buttons/binds is with bots. and it'll help seed the server. obviously this isn't the same as commanding a real game but at least gets you used to what and where the buttons are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X