Grenade mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grenade mod

As of the last month or more the server has been receiving many complaints about the grenade mod and how its not fair early game as well as any other part of the game without being researched. Pls discuss.
    Kalost_tpf/twitch.tv

Re: Grenade mod

Just for reference:

Cluster grenades are unlocked at round start
    Gas/Pulse grenades unlock when the AA is researched
    All grenades cost 2 res
    Original discussion thread: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/natural...weaks-mod.html

I can make changes easily enough, or remove the mod from the server if people like. It was originally just a test mod anyways to make grenades more useful. This is the first feedback since that original thread I've received.

I know TGNS doesn't typically run gameplay altering mods, so this was a small departure from that norm.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 03-04-2014, 09:06 AM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

I like the mod quite a bit. It gives marines the ability to take out skulks in vents (skylights) early game with a low cost overhead. There is a huge possibility for marines to rush a hive with grenades and pummel the alien team since the grenades are so cheap.

Instead of making the grenades free to research from the normal 10 tres, can we change it to 5 tres? Or maybe grenades can cost 2 pres again and the research is still free. I'm not sure how much the latter would do against base rushes.

Comment

If nothing else, I don't think that their cost needed to be reduced. Getting them earlier, free research or not, is a buff vs. vanilla already.

Unless you're looking to make welders the same price as nades... :D

Edit: Either way, I agree with Roland below and would personally prefer going back to vanilla.

Comment

Personally I'd prefer that nades just go back to vanilla.
          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
            we should try this for a while.

Comment

How about we try welders going to 2 or 1 pres? Can we get a server side mod that allows the comm to drop exos for 60 res?

Comment

I was joking about the welder cost change, it's fine where it is. This is coming from a marine-advocate: 60 res exo drops would be incredibly overpowered in the late game-- the ability to drop even single arm exos was removed for a reason. The only way I could see it working out would be if it were similar to fade eggs, where the TRes drop and tech cost is much higher than it would be for a player to go that route with their own res. Bidding starts at 3 command stations + 100 Tres!

I'm of the opinion that we should probably stray away from mods that change the balance of the game, even subtly. If it's subtle enough that it truly wouldn't make a difference, I don't see the point in adding it to our already extensive list of mods. On the other hand, if it changes things more significantly it will both make the server even more intimidating to strangers and more likely to create strats that work only on TG (and more importantly, diminish the viability of strats that work fine elsewhere).

Comment

I've honestly forgotten about the vanilla version of hand grenades. How do you research them, cost, etc?

Comment

I'll just say what everyone else is thinking:

Exos should be free and researched at the beginning of the round. Please offer me a strong counterargument to this, because I have yet to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Concussion1000 View Post
                      I'll just say what everyone else is thinking:

Exos should be free and researched at the beginning of the round. Please offer me a strong counterargument to this, because I have yet to find one.
                      Only if Onos get the same treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by miragezors View Post
                        I've honestly forgotten about the vanilla version of hand grenades. How do you research them, cost, etc?
                        researched at the armory. i dont know cost/research time as i can't find them on the wiki

Comment

Originally posted by OscarTheCouch View Post
                          As of the last month or more the server has been receiving many complaints about the grenade mod and how its not fair early game as well as any other part of the game without being researched. Pls discuss.
                          Originally posted by Retraced View Post
                          If nothing else, I don't think that their cost needed to be reduced. Getting them earlier, free research or not, is a buff vs. vanilla already.

Unless you're looking to make welders the same price as nades... :D

Edit: Either way, I agree with Roland below and would personally prefer going back to vanilla.
                          Originally posted by jack^ View Post
                          we should try this for a while.
                          Originally posted by bentring View Post
                          I'll disable the mod tonight. It does limit some grenade related strategies since you can't research advanced nades early.
                          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                            I'll disable the mod tonight. It does limit some grenade related strategies since you can't research advanced nades early.

Personally, I rather like it and would like to see it back on. And I don't really see much is wrong with it. 2 Personal res for 2 nades, is more then fine, and I do see them being used occasionally.

Yes, some time the marines pile though the phasegate and they all throw nades killing the skulks biting on it, but that why you keep some skulks away or have bigger things bitting on it.

I feel given the Marine pressure on Team res, any research cost that is more then 3 res is going to be delayed, and even if it was free and took just 15 seconds to search, would often be left alone because they could be doing other research at the time.

Yes, a nade is a little annoying if you are a skulk trying to chomp a node down, but keep in mind the marine is spending 1 personal res for every nade that comes at you.
                            Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

I want to be able to buy a pack of 100 grenades, for 50 rez. :P

But seriously though, I find grenades are most useful for killing RT-biting skulks. It's so frustrating to play that silly ring around the rosie game when the RT is just 2 bits away from death. Grenades are the solution! :D

I would change the cost back to 3 from 2 as this has almost never been an issue for me, and I would make it a researched ability again... but maybe the AA is still needed for the advanced grenades? Nerve gas seems a little bit OP early game anyways, so I like this change.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X