X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useful tools for NS2

Figured I'd share these here since I find them useful for NS2:

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit

I use windows 7 64bit and use the remapkey.exe to bind a couple of keys in prime real estate like CAPS LOCK and the windows key. This is a windows tool that writes directly to the registry to change keys. Reverting to default keys and make changes is easy. Has a nice and easy GUI.

dWinlock

I run this when playing NS2 to disable the alt+tab key so I don't accidentally use it mid game when occasionally using those keys together. It has to run in the background while playing.

Prio Process priority saver

This is a great lightweight tool than runs in the task manager. Lots of useful stuff, but I use it for saving the NS2.exe cpu priority to 'high' without having to do it everytime. More FPS if your computer can handle the increased load.

Hope some of you find these useful too.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Useful tools for NS2

Which aimbot do you use? ;)

But seriously though, does setting the process priority make a big difference for ns2?

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
      Which aimbot do you use? ;)

But seriously though, does setting the process priority make a big difference for ns2?
      In the past, doing this could actually cause the mouse to be less responsive because NS2 would starve out the mouse drivers/software or something.
      remi.D

Comment

It does give me roughly 10 more fps on average. My new computer isn't really taxed by NS2 anymore so I haven't noticed any difference with the mouse.

Comment

Thanks for the links aeroripper, I know I have several times looked up registry settings to disable windows key and the like for mistakes and being able to disable alt-tab would definitely be helpful at times since sometimes I do want to use those keys at the same time in game without considering the underlying hotkey combination.

Comment

Bumping this again for new people. I've also found SharpKeys to be an overall better choice for reassigning keys than the windows resource kit. Also for those that have issues hitting alt+tab accidentally, dWinLock works great for disabling that if you don't want to mess with editing registry keys or autohotkey. You can also disable the dreaded sticky keys. I just set it to start with windows.

My own configuration:

Rebind CAPS LOCK to "K", then assign that in game (K) to throw weapon on ground. Also useful in comm bindings for selecting all players.
            Rebind LEFT WINDOWS to "J", and assign to (J) for checking the upgrade status screen.

Those two keys are in a useful position if you use the WASD layout.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...