Hearthstone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearthstone

Blizzard has done it again. I never had much interest in the game during its development or the card game precursors like Magic. The only reason I installed the game was to earn the Hearthsteed mount for World of Warcraft, which I haven't played for years but may when the next expansion launches. All I had to do was win 3 games to earn that mount, but Blizzard knew what it was doing by offering such a deal. I am now hooked on this game. Has anyone else tried playing it or had as much fun as I am playing it?

I have a lvl 16 mage and 12 druid; I've also captured all but one of the classes.

Re: Hearthstone

I tried the beta and played a bunch of rounds, but I think I only captured 2 other classes and started with a Ranger?/Hunter?. My complaint initially was that you played the same people/AI numerous times while just trying to unlock all the standard cards for your deck before you really even get to the 'main game' of building a deck to fit your playstyle. There have been a number of similar games which have come out recently with virtual card collecting and various battle mechanics. They all feel similar to me when it boils down to it and while not bad, just not something I spend a lot of time with. Probably won't even give it a try if there's an initial cost instead of being free to play, though the free to play model is what typically drives the time waste to build up one's deck since that allows them to monetize shortcuts to those time sinks.

In the full release of Hearthstone do you have to 'buy in' up front? or is it free to play? or free for current wow subscribers? or some other model?

Comment

It's completely free, you just need a battle.net account. You earn cards by leveling up your different classes, defeating players, and accomplishing daily quests. You can also buy random packs of cards with real money if you so choose.

Comment

Glad to hear it is free, but still sounds like it takes a good bit of time to earn the cards through play, though they didn't have daily quests last time I tried it in beta, I'll have to give it another try and see how it is for me at this point, may also want to try a different class, but of course I have to beat/unlock them with what class and cards I've already unlocked first.

Comment

Well I just installed the game yesterday day and was able to get full sets for both my mage and druid in a couple of hours; you accumulate a full set of class cards once you hit lvl 10 for a certain class. There are 5-6 introductary levels you need to complete before you are able to "play" or "practice"; this is the option that allows you to start playing real people or the computer for XP. The "play" option is versus other people on the internet and also has a built in timer for each move; this is the fastest way to gain XP for winning. The "practice" option is only against the computer and has no timer for each move that i've seen; the XP for beating the AI is much lower than playing a human. You can essentially "learn" another class once you've defeated said class either by playing a human or against the AI; once you've achieved level 10 you should have the require 20/20 class cards.

There are many different cards that you can pick up from the card packs bought with gold or real money. Each pack sold has at least 1 rare card and 4 other random cards; think baseball card packs that have totally random cards inside. Gold is earned by doing daily quests and winning matches; every 3 wins will net you 10 gold. You can purchase 1 pack with 100 gold.

The best way to defeat players is to create your own custom decks from the cards you've accumulated suited for your class.

Comment

I gave the game a go. It's certainly a pretty game (as expected from Blizzard). After several hours of playing, I feel I had seen most of what there is to see about the game. I'm sure though that Blizzard will continue to add to the game as they do all of their other games.
            -- P> Singularity

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X