Any love for Custom Hud?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for Custom Hud?

Is there any possibility or interest in adding the Custom Hud mod (link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=135458820) to the TG servers? Despite the name, its most important feature is several overall quality of life and gameplay/map improvements that very many people -myself included- find to be invaluable. In light of the recent downgrade in the amount of people assigned to developing NS2 (a hotfix that was ready 1-2 months before it was deployed being the best example), it has become a sort of hub for hosting interface/map/performance improvements.

Most importantly, all of the changes (aside from one*) in Custom Hud are optional. If it was hosted on the server, nothing would actually change for any player unless they “opted in” to it and actually changed something from the Custom Hud menu, which is accessed from the main menu. *The one change that seems to be forced is nameplates becoming yellow for friendly players on parasite.

There are a few things that I'll stress: it does –not- change any gameplay mechanics or make any balance number adjustments. That is a separate mod that currently resides on most NSL/competitive servers (and imo it should stay there for the moment, as it is essentially experimental and still a work in progress). A large amount of other public servers run Custom Hud, without performance impact (meaning, it is not a mod that is exclusive to the competitive community). It also doesn’t conflict with Shine. The only feature that overlaps is the “auto-check for out of date mods” feature, which is automatically disabled when the equivalent Shine feature is present.

The easiest way to get an idea of what the mod does is to subscribe to it and host your own game session. From the main menu, you will see a new “Custom Hud” option. From there, you can browse through all of the options—there is no need to enter any console commands. Every setting is remembered/saved from Server to Server, making configuration pretty quick and easy.

Some of my favorite features:

1: Alien Vision options. You can choose between the current default, the old alien vision (from back in August), and Huze’s Minimal Alien Vision. From a server operator standpoint, this allows players to use some of the most popular forms of alien vision, without whitelisting alien vision mods in general and potentially allowing for abuse.

2: More info about the status of your teammates/field players. At a glance, you are now able to tell when a teammate, structure, or arc has been parasited (the graphic for it is notoriously prone to not showing up)- their nameplate becomes yellow. On top of that, you have the option of seeing the health/armor of your teammates as numbers, which is particularly helpful for welding (you know I had to mention welding somewhere).

3: And of course, the mod’s original purpose was to reduce some of the author’s complaints with the interface. There are quite a few very tiny changes in that area that really add up. One of the best examples of a little change being a huge QoL improvement is that field players have the option of displaying the current RT count in the bottom right corner of the screen as a simple number, instead of as circles.

I would love to see custom hud on the TG servers. Any thoughts?

Re: Any love for Custom Hud?

I'll provisionally add this tonight so that we may experience it while we discuss it.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Thanks Wyz! It'll also be a nice test. Aside from the nameplates, those who didn't notice this thread shouldn't see any change at all in gameplay.

Comment

No wrong answer: do the client settings I change in this get stored in the Steam Cloud?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

According to joshhhy, yes.

Comment

I was about to put this on the server some time ago, but I was rebuffed by the scope creep of muted skulks (audio!=HUD).

I've been meaning to revisit it.

Comment

This sounds pretty cool.

Originally posted by Retraced View Post
              IOne of the best examples of a little change being a huge QoL improvement is that field players have the option of displaying the current RT count in the bottom right corner of the screen as a simple number, instead of as circles.
              Lol, just found out that there were even dots down there last night! Was just talking about this how it doesn't make any sense for them to be dots that have no meaning.

Comment

So many good features, I was expecting this mod to go official at some point.
                Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

mod is on both servers now.

Comment

So far I like it. I enjoy the changed health bars, the yellow names for parasite, and most important, the minimal alien vision.

Comment

This sounds promising, hopefully I can get on tonight to give it a shot. A lot of little items that will seemingly improve gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by rad4Christ View Post
                        So far I like it. I enjoy the changed health bars, the yellow names for parasite, and most important, the minimal alien vision.
                        I really like the minimal alien vision, but it does feel a bit cheaty. Is there any reason to not have it always be on?

I also wish the nameplates were a bit more customizable. I like it on the players but on the structures something about the layout bothers me. It's faster to quick read a bar than it is a numerical representation.
                        remi.D

Comment

I'll have to give it a try, didn't have a chance to play any last night and even though I may have played on other servers with this mod, haven't ever noticed it in server mod lists, motd or menu while on them. May need to try the self hosted game to try some different options out.

Comment

I think a downside to this mod is that the "game" tab in the server browser says "CHUD" instead of "ns2" with this mod installed.
                            remi.D

Comment

I read somewhere that it only appears that way to folks who have the mod installed? We're still "ns2" to stock clients? I forget where I read that, so take it with a grain of salt unless someone can verify.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X