scoreboard: player location names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoreboard: player location names

I've added player map location names to the scoreboard. Only the first four characters of the player's location name display.

It was a little overwhelming when I first saw it during actual gameplay. I'm not used to the scoreboard being such an active beast. I quickly came to ignore it, though.

But it's pretty nice having that info when you need it.

When I see it adopted en masse as a harassment tool, I'll remove it. Be nice.

Feedback welcome. Please report defects.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: scoreboard: player location names

You see location names only for teammates.

Spectators see location names for both teams.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

While i usually like more information to be available I am curious to this feature's practicality. Personally, i find it to clutter the scoreboard. making it more difficult to read the information i need from the board. The commander already has the ability to figure out who is where if need be. As a field player, if you need to know if there are marines/aliens on a certain part of the map, you use the map. Its much faster.

just my thoughts and maybe I've yet to find the uses of this information.

Comment

I, too, have found it more cluttering than I anticipated. I haven't found it more difficult to find what I needed elsewhere on the scoreboard. Game resolution and personal reading styles would certainly both influence that for each person.

I've only actually /used/ the information a couple times, but it's been awesome in those moments.

I'm not married to keeping this, despite having wanted it for so long.

I could easily make it opt-in for folks.

I'd like feedback from more folks, regarding various considerations.

Comment

Having an opt-in would be useful. I like it personally, although I find it difficult to use much in a tense game. I still wish NS2 showed player names on the big minimap itself to ease coordination.
          Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
          Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Me, too!

Comment

I'm in the love the concept, but not using it by design.

although, I did use a small resolution as a test and it did clutter a bit.

I like it, but I agree having names over the minimap would be AMAZING!

OR. Location name by the voice chat?

Comment

I like the idea, but have yet to actively use it. I personally don't find it too cluttering on the scoreboard (though haven't tested various resolutions to see how that effects it). I haven't found it making it more difficult to get other information either, so I'm all in favor of more information is better.

I would agree though that it would make life and coordination much easier to have team player names on the large map but that is probably dependent on UWE making some feature update changes and unlikely to happen. An opt-in to the feature might be best to allow those who don't want to see it to turn it off, but don't know how difficult that would be to implement and it may be more trouble than it would be worth.

Comment

My .02 on this feature: I don't really use it personally but that's because when I make calls in the field it's either to direct some people(s) to hit a specific location with me (in which case I'd call out location if I dont have LoS to see the nametag) or two to call out a phase/RT/etc being hit somewhere on the map that I cant get to and I thus would be calling out a location again. My scans of the scoreboard during a game rarely last more than 1 second so I personally wont really use it to correlate location with player since I only use the scoreboard to either see how many players are alive and what weapons/lifeform or to see how awesome I am. ;-) That being said, I do not think it is too much clutter at all so I like the feature if other people are going to use it. After playing this game so long my eyes tend to snap to whatever data I need without searching much.

Comment

I've removed this from the server.

I think the offering's ever-distracting..... distractful...ness.... isn't justified by its rare, spot-on usefulness.

I'm partial to this feature. I had a lot of fun building it.

Comment

Would it be possible to do something like NS2+ where you could make it a toggleable option in a menu?
                      Who you gonna call?

Comment

I think this has been deprecated with remi's new 'Player Names on Minimap' mod.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkScythe View Post
                          I think this has been deprecated with remi's new 'Player Names on Minimap' mod.
                          True the strategic value of knowing where a specific teammate is, is now available with Remi's mod.

Thank you anyway Wyzcrak and glad you had fun coding it!

Comment

I turned this off not in response to remi's gift, but just before learning of it.

I was told it simply wasn't possible to put player names on the minimap. I was a fool to believe without questioning.

So glad to hear remi's offering will enhance EVERY player's experience. It deserves to.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X