Fun change to win or lose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun change to win or lose?

We all love the win or lose mod, but could we add some more flair to add to that last minute of the game? The changes:

If marines concede, all of the power nodes on the map are destroyed all at once. Emergency lights flood on everywhere as aliens close in for the kill.

If aliens concede, all of the power nodes on the map are fully built (or rebuilt) all at once. If possible, light intensity across the map increases a bit.

Thoughts?
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: Fun change to win or lose?

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
    We all love the win or lose mod, but could we add some more flair to add to that last minute of the game? The changes:

If marines concede, all of the power nodes on the map are destroyed all at once. Emergency lights flood on everywhere as aliens close in for the kill.

If aliens concede, all of the power nodes on the map are fully built (or rebuilt) all at once. If possible, light intensity across the map increases a bit.

Thoughts?
    I like it. It would be cool as well to have the power go out in a wave towards the command chair as the time limit reduces (implementation would be, do a distance check from all rooms to the chair, put it in a sorted list, have them go out one by one as the time counts down).
    remi.D

Comment

This can be tested by using "killnearby PowerPoint 1000" or "killall PowerPoint" and "reset" to do it again.

killnearby <entity> <distance>(15) Destroys every instance of the given entity on the map within distance. Note: entity name is case-sensitive
      killall <entity> (Hive, Cyst, Sentry, Hydra, etc) Destroys every instance of the given entity on the map. Note: entity name is case-sensitive.
      I imagine the re-building/repair could be done by adding a large weld amount to the destroyed power nodes so they repair instantly. Unbuilt power nodes get +use but multiplied as if 20 marines were building it?

I like it. It would be cool as well to have the power go out in a wave towards the command chair as the time limit reduces (implementation would be, do a distance check from all rooms to the chair, put it in a sorted list, have them go out one by one as the time counts down).
      That would be amazing, but complicated probably. I kind of like having the power shut off in the marine base after a concede, it's a bit scary knowing a large amount of aliens are on their way and in the dark/emergency lighting. Made a quick video:

Last edited by aeroripper; 04-01-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

What if, on alien concede, there is a beacon to closest tech point to alien's hive.

I'm sure that's not the easiest to do, but would be cool.

Otherwise I LOVE these ideas!!

Comment

Give marines cat packs so they can get to the hive faster. I've never seen aliens have trouble getting to a cc in time, but marines can easily run out of time, even though they aren't screwing around at all. ie Descent, it's a huge map, and sometimes I've seen it get below 10 seconds, or even past 0.

Comment

Don't think any of the existing mechanics should be changed, outside of some atmospheric changes proposed. It works great as it is currently, just a little more flash to up the tension at the end.

Comment

I approve of this OP. I do wonder how performance would be affected though.

Comment

The visual changes might also help when we have a large number of strangers on the server as we have over the last couple of days, one explanation of win or lose conditions via voice comm can get lost in the chatter, but a visual cue might help in addition to the text indicating the surrender (as well as adding to the fun IMO).

Comment

An interesting idea, but to Kronos' point, I don't believe it will make explaining WinOrLose any easier.
                  If anything, it'd add extra confusion, as now things are occurring around the map with no input from any player, and you'll still get "Omg, what is going on?"

Comment

The lighting idea is fantastic. I wonder if for a marine concede, game music should be silent to make it even creepier (while game music is on for alien concede). Imagine being a marine. All the lights just went out, and in utter silence, you hear the impending doom approach your location. Also, for the lighting effect, would it be possible/desirable to keep all the lights off without the red backup lights coming up after?

For the confusion point, maybe the overlay text could be a bit more specific about the two items you should and shouldn't do (ie. shoot the hive/comm, don't be distracted). Although I think part of the fun was seeing how long it took for folks to figure that out.

The first time in WinorLose for me (which I think was this weekend), I certainly went "Omg, what is going on?" but more in the "oi, this is new." and "which server am I on? *heart*" sort of way.
                    Apotheosis

Comment

Welcome to the forums hellodan (or should I say... Apotheosis??). I don't think the music would work as well since I imagine a good majority of players have it turned off anyways. While I love the darkness after the power goes off, its mildly irritating how the texture lights stay full lit while everything else is powered off (its a little ugly looking). For that reason I'd rather see the red lights come on after that short period.

The Win or Lose plugin is pretty popular, wish it was a part of vanilla NS2.

Just for giggles, I made a video of 100% darkness after lights go out until they're fully repaired when it was part of the beta mod many months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8qKtJFDyWQ

Comment

That looks a bit too dark aeroripper! Though if it were only during Win Or Lose it might work, must've taken the video with FF on though since you blew up some of your own power.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome aeroripper :) (Yes, I'm Apotheosis, but feel free to call me w/e... hellodan, dan, apoth, etc).

Whoa, that's crazy. Thanks for the vid! I've just rediscovered my fear of the dark.

I don't mind the red lights now that you mention it. Win or Lose is quite a nice way to end a match, rather than the usual concede. It's really the only reason I started popping on the TG server more often (mainly because it made the server more memorable). Then, after noticing how the regulars interacted, and the general active management of matches/server, here I am
                          Apotheosis

Comment

Glad the community here made a positive impression as well as the mod :-)

Comment

Is this still on the table? I'd love to see the lighting changes added in to Win Or Lose.

I still think some slight tweaks for aliens conceding would be helpful. Especially since, on W0 marines can have a tough time taking down the hive, more-so if any aliens are killed and the timer is reduced. It's fun as Aliens to conspire to concede right after a beacon, but it can be frustrating as a marine in this situation to not be able to kill the hive simply because Aliens conceded so quickly. That's why I suggested either taking measures to make the time-limit scale with the distance (Operations -> Cave hive, anybody?) or give marines W3 so they stand a chance of taking down the hive in the case of an early-game concede.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X