late night: consider leaving during mapchange and without announcement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late night: consider leaving during mapchange and without announcement

Saying goodbye (aka "good games, guys", "bedtime!", etc) to folks as I leave late at night arguably does more to harm the folks I'm leaving behind than it does to help them.

Saying goodnight is a very nice pleasantry, but it leaves my remaining friends much more likely to be sitting in an significantly emptier server, as everyone else hears that someone's leaving, and it reminds /them/ to leave.

If you notice me leave quietly, maybe during the mapchange, consider my silence my favor to you -- my best effort to leave the server as populated as I'm able as I call it a night.

Unless I'm rage quitting, in which case you're welcome to feel terrible for whatever you've just done to make me take my ball and go home.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: late night: consider leaving during mapchange and without announcement

Concur. So often announcing one's departure causes a cascade of fail.
    remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
      Unless I'm rage quitting, in which case you're welcome to feel terrible for whatever you've just done to make me take my ball and go home.
      "It's MY server, and I'm taking it home! Good day sirs"

Comment

All the cool people 'disconnect' through console during map change. Also for me personally the difference in me leaving or staying is "gg" versus "ggs" haha

Comment

I would concur that's it generally better to disconnect on map change or leave quietly, but with one exception to this. Have had several opportunities recently to be the only regular on the server (started with bots and got other players to join, etc.) and I'll put forth the suggestion that if you are the only admin or guardian on the server it's beneficial to all the other players to know you've got to leave so that they should reach out to alternative contacts or come here if help is needed. Typically not the case though late at night as mentioned in the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by FARVA View Post
            All the cool people 'disconnect' through console during map change. Also for me personally the difference in me leaving or staying is "gg" versus "ggs" haha
            This is pretty much what I do, but with quit rather than disconnect in console.
            aka Roland tHTG

Comment

I think the same consideration is applicable as well after long games, super short games, stacked games, and when the server only has a few regs on it. The only time I'd say it's OK to announce your departure is when the server is full to the brim with regs and your departure causing a cascade is unlikely to kill the server because there are already people to fill your spot and those of anyone else who departs. The potential to kill the server is just as real at 6p or 10p as it is at 12p or 1a. I am very sad when I start up NS2 around peak hours and the servers are empty, and I have seen the server death happen plenty of times.
              remi.D

Comment

Could not agree more!

It isn't as if your leaving someone's bbq and your saying your goodbye's. There is no social benefit to publicly announcing your leaving to 12+ people on round based a game server, it stinks of ego.

Comment

Originally posted by thane View Post
                  It isn't as if your leaving someone's bbq and your saying your goodbye's. There is no social benefit to publicly announcing your leaving to 12+ people on round based a game server, it stinks of ego.
                  Right...

If you've been playing all day and leave after some good games, and have been playing with your friends, I see no reason how you could be egotistical. I think this is being made a bigger issue than it really is.

Comment

I shall henceforth announce "gtg" and "ggs", then stay on the server for 2 more hours. Also, disconnecting during map change is how the pros do it.
                    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

bump.

Also, this does not simply apply to late night; there's tact in an irish goodbye

Comment

Exactly how I feel at parties I attend. Saying goodbye to 30+ people is not only time-consuming, difficult, and somewhat impossible as friends attempt to convince you to stay (just one more dude, cmon, pleeeease), but it also reminds others that the end if near and the "responsible" thing to do is follow suit.

Therefore, I just bounce; usually in between relocation to a different place, etc.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X