Hi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hello. Server started bugging me to come here with an automatic message to sign the primer, so here I am.

Don't know how many people here remember the NS1 days, but back then I went by Lightning Blue and ran a community known as The Lunixmonster. ;) TG reminds me a lot of LM back then during the glory years (2003-2005). I miss the NS1 days, especially pre 3.0 and to an extent pre 2.0. There's a neat thread over at UWE with a few posts about some of the famous bugs NS1 had that really bring back the memories.

I held off buying NS2 until it came up in the humble bundle. Didn't play it though, as I was busy with stuff. One day I was going through my webserver and found the old LM stuff, found the LM steam group and realized a lot of people were still around so decided to put the forums back up for kicks and reboot the community and put a server back up. Interest has been low, so I've just been pubbing it. Ran into rad4christ on TG the other night and got pretty excited (he was a community leader over at LM back in the day)

Got the wife playing (Vienna), who hasn't played FPS's since 2010. She mostly gorges, and insists she can't shoot the blind side of an onos, but she managed to do alright last night when she got stuck on marines.

I can't kill skulks as a marine and I can't kill marines as a skulk. I don't know if it's lag, settings, or I'm just bad. I've gotten used to games like Mass Effect where crouching helps you aim better, the shooting netcode in NS2 seems so strange. So I tend to try to comm, or gorge, or onos.

The state of the overall NS2 community is pretty bad in my opinion. Not many people playing, even fewer "Rookies". Most vets don't seem to care to educate the newbies, I add to friends any who actually make an effort. The developers have stopped working on the game and rely on the community to fix bugs? Most servers degenerate into team stacked pubstomps and nobody has any fun. I tried to get a friend into it and he got too frustrated and stopped trying. I can't understand why NS2 is still full price with the amount of people playing now.

The games I've had on TG though, are probably some of the best ones so far, win or lose. There's still the random stacked game that has the other team stuck in one base but those seem fewer than most servers I've played on.

Enough rambling from me for now!
    Who you gonna call?

Re: Hi

Good to see you again LB. I'm an old linux monster vet and transitioned over to the TG NS1 server after linuxmonster died out. Been here ever since. I think Fooker (?) was also an old linuxmonster guy too? I can't remember the rest.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

We were sloppy seconds for many NS1 players after LM sunsetted. <3 LM and what it did for NS1.

I hope you and Vienna continue to enjoy TGNS. Our Guardian offering provides an opportunity for you to contribute here administratively, should you so choose.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Wow, it is good to see there are good memories of LM around here. There was a thread from 2012 (found via google) on the NS forums and people were STILL complaining about being banned from LM. In 2003. What.

Yes, we were the "anti clan" server but the regs loved it. Oh and the FF!

I would love for LM to come back but I'm not sure there's actually enough people playing. Heck there's like 400 NS2 servers and only a handful are actually used at any given time. TG, KKG, Hyperion and a few others I can't recall are the stalwarts.

So I figured maybe I should try and pick a community and stick with it. I'm not that good though. I can listen, I can communicate, but I can't kill anything, lol.

I am super impressed with your reserved slot system. Especially the system where the first four people (more or less) who seed get to stay and don't get kicked. Back in the day it was adminmod and "highest ping" and that was it! I would dole out reserved slots to those poor people overseas who were really nice but got kicked all the time.

The Guardian system is even better... I should have thought of something like that for the reserved slotters on LM when we started bleeding admins. Of course by then I wasn't caring much about NS so not much happened in that regard.

I also appreciate nobody getting mad at me when I had to AFK at the start of a round to put the toddler to bed.

Did you ever play on LM back in the day, Wyz?

What happened to NS2 anyway?
        Who you gonna call?

Comment

I played on LM enough times to respect it myself and empathize with others who did, but not after I found TGNS, nevermind after they asked me to own it (fools!).

I'm really impressed with UWE's technical accomplishments with UWE.

I have little patience when people (especially loved ones) habitually make promises they don't deliver on. I believe in the idea that making promises makes me feel good, which leaves me less dependent on the good feeling I get when I produce.

Then, too, as a pro software dev myself, I know the folly of estimates.

UWE (almost a gaming "loved one", for me) seems to suffer from this in the way a Greek hero suffers from his "fatal flaw". I wish I could have watched NS2 in the hands of folks whose promises were better aligned with their deliveries, whatever they would have been (my assertion: they would have been better received given fewer promises). I want the best for those guys, and I hope they've learned from NS2.

I've certainly learned from TGNS2, and I really hope they give me a chance at running TGNS3.

TGNS was one of the first and last NS1 communities. I expect no different this time.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I would love for LM to come back but I'm not sure there's actually enough people playing. Heck there's like 400 NS2 servers and only a handful are actually used at any given time. TG, KKG, Hyperion and a few others I can't recall are the stalwarts.
            I recall LM having a server back in early alpha NS2? I tried seeding it quite a few times but there were so few players then. Had a lot of GGs on linuxmonster back in the day. For some reason all my memories of it now are playing on ns_shiva and ns_nothing? I think we used to play those quite a lot.

So I figured maybe I should try and pick a community and stick with it. I'm not that good though. I can listen, I can communicate, but I can't kill anything, lol.
            We're usually packed with regulars every night between 6p-11p CST. Friday night is our weekly Captain's Night, although we often start up captain's games anytime there's lots of regs on. Low skill players are always welcome, as long as they can hear and communicate with the team. Sounds like you already got that covered :icon12:

What happened to NS2 anyway?
            Without regular new content, games slowly start to die out. I think the devs have (mostly) moved onto their new project, so updates are coming significantly slower for NS2 and more fixes are coming from a few dedicated community members.

Comment

I was telling someone the other day: if UWE gets their pricing right and solves their QA/testing inconsistencies (themselves or by enabling the community), the title could easily take on new players and last for years to come.

That's arguably an.... optimistic.... forecast.

Comment

I definitely feel a terrible learning curve with getting into games with crackshot buttfaces and they don't even give you a chance to do anything except eat a magazine of ammo or nomnom my nether regions to bits (referring to those who come into the "rookies only" and "rookie friendly less than XX hours only" servers we've tried learning on). It gets to the point I just feel so below the bar with all the remaining players I don't really feel like playing much unless I have Blue with me to try to double team people.

We never seem to get better than 80ping at best, myself I always seem to sit on 100~150 which basically feels like no mater how much it looks like I've made direct contact with something, it never does damage. Sadly, click and spray and pray for shooting does more damage than actual targeting half the time, but rarely results in a kill. I should just rename myself "Dances with Skulks" when playing marine in a interpretive dance to avoid them and try shooting, ugh.

That said, I love being support, but NS isn't so much of a support based game unless you're gorging, Marine with a welder can only do so much. All other games I've played I generally end up being a healing class; 10 years of WoW being a Priest being the most prominent. Too bad there's not an option for support marine for using personal resources for med packing allies or something, at least then I'd feel more useful when I'm forced Marines.

For the record though, if you're ever commanding and see me, I'm sometimes slow to respond to "go to (place)". It's not that I'm not listening, I'm just god awful at remembering where each area is on some maps I've not played much. It feels like every game I run into is Veil, Veil, and more Veil, so unfamiliar maps take me a minute to locate crap. =( Someone actually growled at me for "not moving" yesterday but I'd only ever seen that map twice before so I was pretty much lost.

Comment

Commonly overlooked Marine support opportunity: buy the shotgun before the killllls-capable teammate does, then give it to him.

Not for everyone. That's a level of selflessness to which none of us is entitled in others.

Comment

Oh, I've given up GLs to people and shotties in previous games, if it's people I've played with several times and recognize as being a good shot and such I'm more than willing to give them the good stuff while I stick to the basics knowing I could drop dead any minute. I usually am the person who spends on mines and mines up a base/phase though. I figure at least I'm useful that way.

Comment

Good call! I do the same, often struggling to maintain 30 FPS.

Comment

I also recommend enabling 'rookie mode' in the options, or just asking for help when you need it. As marine, follow other players around and always stay in a group. If somebody else is in the spawn queue with you, wait for them to finish spawning and go with them. Same advice with aliens, and also recommend going gorge to heal other players and try to stay out of the line of fire. If the comm is ordering you to a location and you're not sure where it is (hit C for your map), ask them to assign you a waypoint then follow the arrows on the ground to the destination. I always try to do this when I have newer people on the team, or when I need extra coordination for a push.

When a waypoint is assigned it will show a big white "X" on the map at your destination.

I definitely feel a terrible learning curve with getting into games with crackshot buttfaces and they don't even give you a chance to do anything except eat a magazine of ammo or nomnom my nether regions to bits (referring to those who come into the "rookies only" and "rookie friendly less than XX hours only" servers we've tried learning on). It gets to the point I just feel so below the bar with all the remaining players I don't really feel like playing much unless I have Blue with me to try to double team people.
                        I've been playing NS1 and NS2 for years and I'm still a terrible shot on marines. Use the buddy system and your effectiveness will go up. NS2 has a great sandbox mode where you can learn about much of the game at your own pace, if you haven't checked that out yet.

Comment

Hey LB! Great to see you in server/game! Same to you Vienna!

VinegarNinja, Nooblet, and a few others come around from time to time. But TG is an amazing community of people! glad to see you guys here as well!

Comment

I remember playing on the Linuxmonster servers back in NS1 days, but was doing the whole clan/team organized play most of the first couple years and wasn't till later that I started looking for good communities and found TG. Welcome and glad to have you both regardless of shooting ability. I wish I could get my wife to play NS but after giving it a try a couple times she decided that it wasn't for her as she doesn't care for most any FPS games.

Comment

The only reason the wife plays is to gorge :D
                              Who you gonna call?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed