Player Names on Minimap!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Names on Minimap!

I made a mod. When in-game, press the scoreboard and minimap keys at the same time to show all your teammates' names.

Changelog
    - Press Scoreboard and Minimap keys to hide location names and display player names
    - Parasited marines will show up yellow
    - Inactive structures will flash dark red when being attacked

Known Issues / Potential Improvements
    - Doesn't work when dead, finicky while spectating
    - People seem like they would prefer a toggle instead of a press and hold
    - I may remove the yellow icon for parasited marines and only leave the name, opinions?
    - Differentiating between teams would be good during spec
    - Lots of players in the same area make it hard to read names

Tell me what you think! :)
    remi.D

Re: Player Names on Minimap!

This is running on the server. It's delicious.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Pretty much everything you already listed. Names should be denoted by team color in spectate to avoid confusion. Great mod.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Really like the idea, and ideally it should become a persistent toggle. Also agree with parasited marines only having the name yellow.
        aka Roland tHTG

Comment

Originally posted by bentring View Post
          Really like the idea, and ideally it should become a persistent toggle. Also agree with parasited marines only having the name yellow.
          Yeah, maintains the more stock experience, but provides the additional info for those that want it.
          remi.D

Comment

If you are an alien, should it show the names of parasited marines?
            remi.D

Comment

No.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                If you are an alien, should it show the names of parasited marines?
                I agree with the no. But how about your teammates icon color changing as they lose health? It would be a quick way to know if you should try to block the marines from chasing the onos or not etc...
                aka Roland tHTG

Comment

i really like this, though i wish it was easier to access. maybe a toggle would be better? or perhaps a whole new bind map key? just ideas, i really don't know whats possible with the coding and all.

Comment

Awesome work on this mod.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Toggle functionality is incoming after I test with Wyz to make sure I didn't break anything. I'm keeping it with the hiding the location names while player names are up functionality because otherwise it gets really hard to see whats going on. I also added team colors for while spectating, but I think it also makes it harder to read so I'd be curious to hear what you all think of this.

Readability will always be the challenge with this mod. :/
                      remi.D

Comment

Not sure removing room names is the best idea, since not all of us would remember all the room names on every map when the situation calls for it.

Comment

I'd definitely prefer for room names to stay. Is it possible/feasible to turn this into a menu option, similar to the alien buy menu and custom hud/ns2plus mods? It could have three options: default, player names with room names, and player names without room names.

The feature is -fantastic-, but (speaking for myself only) I find that having to attach it to a new keybind, and a slightly cumbersome one at that, means that it often isn't used outside of checking opening splits. Even if we were given the option to rebind, I'd personally prefer to keep it at my default map key.

Regarding readability issues: with NS2 +, we've seen that it's possible to change the opacity of the map. Is it possible to set it up so that the room names by default are slightly... duller (for lack of a better word) than the player names? Or just the minimap in general, with player names standing out a bit more. That way, the room names are there when needed, but could alleviate the noise buildup when the letters overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by Retraced View Post
                            I'd definitely prefer for room names to stay. Is it possible/feasible to turn this into a menu option, similar to the alien buy menu and custom hud/ns2plus mods? It could have three options: default, player names with room names, and player names without room names.
                            I've thought about it, just haven't got that far yet. I've also changed it so room names stay, for now. I'd like feedback on this.

The feature is -fantastic-, but (speaking for myself only) I find that having to attach it to a new keybind, and a slightly cumbersome one at that, means that it often isn't used outside of checking opening splits. Even if we were given the option to rebind, I'd personally prefer to keep it at my default map key.
                            I agree an additional bind would be cumbersome. I've switched it to a toggle now instead of press to hold so that should help.

Regarding readability issues: with NS2 +, we've seen that it's possible to change the opacity of the map. Is it possible to set it up so that the room names by default are slightly... duller (for lack of a better word) than the player names? Or just the minimap in general, with player names standing out a bit more. That way, the room names are there when needed, but could alleviate the noise buildup when the letters overlap.
                            Wyz was mentioning something akin to this. I'm trying to keep it compatible with NS2+, so I wouldn't be able to set my own defaults without breaking those same options in NS2+. My plugin already does break one option in NS2+ (relating to showing steam friends on the minimap).
                            remi.D

Comment

Just an FYI if anyone feels like going on a bug hunt: Tonight at around 8:18 Eastern when Taunt loaded Refinery my minimap crashed. It just froze the lifeform icons in place and I found the following exception message in console: 'Attempted to index nil value' along with a stack trace. I wasnt able to take a screenshot and I think the crash may have been client side (?) - If someone can point me to a log I can dig the trace out assuming it wasnt logged server side if interested.

Update: Teh logs have been checked and sent!
                              Last edited by FARVA; 04-07-2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X