!plan (Captains Games Plans)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !plan (Captains Games Plans)

I've added the following teamchat command to the server for use during the planning phases of Captains Games:

!plan Onos
    !plan Comm
    !plan nodes
    etc
    etc

This creates a visual aid for your team, showing your planned role to your team (and Spectators).

Your plan appears next to your name on the scoreboard.

It disappears once the game starts, as things change quickly then.

This is an optional tool for all players. No captain or commander should feel entitled to teammates using it.

This visual aid doesn't bind anyone to their planned role any more than they already are. Announcing a plan doesn't entitle them to that role any more than they otherwise would have been. It's just a visual aid. Nothing more.

Feedback welcome. Please report defects.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: !plan (Captains Games Plans)

We had a similar "notes" feature on our NS1 servers. That allowed you, as Captain, to set other folks/ values. This implementation does not allow that. Simply ask other folks to set their own values, keeping in mind you're not entitled to the visual aid if they just can't be bothered.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
      We had a similar "notes" feature on our NS1 servers. That allowed you, as Captain, to set other folks/ values. This implementation does not allow that. Simply ask other folks to set their own values, keeping in mind you're not entitled to the visual aid if they just can't be bothered.
      The NS1 system I believe also allowed each person to set their own, same as this, which was how people tended to use it. If I am remembering correctly, the (teamsay) command for that was !note... and there was some protection as well for accidentally writing it in non-team chat. Do we have the same protection in place for this implementation?
      remi.D

Comment

The same command will work in allchat, but if you get a typo or case incorrect, you are not protected. This is not my chat command code. I am using Shine's.

Comment

Found this particularly useful the other night when we were planning lifeforms on alien on one pick up captains round, I think it's a helpful addition.

Comment

So then is it just !plan *string of text*? Or are there a certain number of allowed words?

Comment

You've got it. 8 characters are displayed.

Comment

Can we add the "captains set roles" feature that we had in NS1, in addition to player role setting? Eg: !plan Wyzcrak gorge

Partial names would also work preferably.
                Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

See below. The "set other folks' plan text" /is/ technically possible. Are you finding it difficult or otherwise problematic to delegate that to each player?

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

Comment

Apologies, I missed that part. I wouldn't really consider it a problem to delegate roles verbally, but at times its more efficient to assign them myself. In some games in NS1 I would assign roles to the team for feedback. It also helps on marines at assigning positions that people won't forget after a few minutes of chatting with the team. Granted this can be solved socially with more reminders, this is just an additional help for captains, and for less attentive players to look at a glance what their role was.

I'm assuming the logic behind leaving it out is producing more conversation on strategy with your team, and to prevent captains from potentially abusing their role. I think the benefit of such an addition would outweight any potential negatives.

Regardless, its still a useful feature in its current implementation.

Comment

Really useful feature! The current implementation works really well since player can type what ever is required. (instead of some sort of checkbox where there are defined roles) Although defined roles would potentially work with each team comes different changes/habits/preference and so on.

Comment

would it be helpful/possible to be able to assign !plan attributes to players? just thinking when a captain/comm is trying to make groups at the beginning. everyone always seems to forget their group.. maybe it could work like "!plan jack group1"

Comment

Possible. Not planned, but it could be, with enough demand.

Comment

I'd like to to see !plan instituted into standard play. I'd LOVE to type !plan gorge in a standard pub match to ensure we don't get 4 gorges on an 8 man team. Not a huge thing, but would be neat.

Comment

Just popping in again to say the captain being able to set !plan roles would be helpful. If desirable to institute in normal games, players can assign their own !plan only.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X