How easy/possible would it be...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy/possible would it be...

...to get MvM (Marine Versus Marine) on one of the servers? Better yet, what if there was a way to make the server switch mods?

Re: How easy/possible would it be...

Very difficult. I'm sorry.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

This was a running joke at my job with the other Engineers. Game designers love to stop Engineers in the hallways and ask questions that start with "How hard would it be to..." or "Would it be possible to...". Engineers, on the other hand, do not. :D
      remi.D

Comment

If you think about it though MvM would be pretty broken. Mines would be useless, turrets would be useless because of grenades, and flame throwers would also have much less of an effect.

Comment

Indeed that can be a fun discussion, though in my work we're not designing games and I'm closer to the engineer in position, and can answer almost every question with well it is possible if...
          Plus the cost to benefit ratio of most of those suggestions is so far out of proportion that many of those 'nice' things to have are essentially worthless and are entirely cost from a design standpoint.

Comment

Whenever a PM or BA asks this type of question our usual reply is "well, anything is really possible...now let me tell you a swag time and budget estimate..." after that they usually just say "oh..." and walk away.

Comment

Ah, oh well. Probably wouldn't have lasted anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                Indeed that can be a fun discussion, though in my work we're not designing games and I'm closer to the engineer in position, and can answer almost every question with well it is possible if...
                Plus the cost to benefit ratio of most of those suggestions is so far out of proportion that many of those 'nice' things to have are essentially worthless and are entirely cost from a design standpoint.
                Originally posted by FARVA View Post
                Whenever a PM or BA asks this type of question our usual reply is "well, anything is really possible...now let me tell you a swag time and budget estimate..." after that they usually just say "oh..." and walk away.
                Yup. Exactly. For the most part, everything is possible. It's just a matter of how important it is and what you're willing to give up. The response to that question in general is "Well, how important is it to you and why do you think you need this feature?"
                remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by Fiddler View Post
                  If you think about it though MvM would be pretty broken. Mines would be useless, turrets would be useless because of grenades, and flame throwers would also have much less of an effect.
                  I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to McGlaspie that he's actually considered and been dealing with those design issues. I think there are servers that run it so you could go check it out. The issue here is just that NS2's modding framework isn't so good for doing mixed-mod servers... or even running more than one mod at a time, really. :)
                  remi.D

Comment

MvM is actually kind of fun. Playing on the Thirsty Onos right now.
                    remi.D

Comment

Mildly relevant video in regards to what engineers deal with in the corporate world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
                      Apotheosis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...