New map named Kodiak! Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New map named Kodiak! Thoughts?

Just saw the trailer for it and am excited to get back in the game. From what I saw though I recognize the map from what I saw on a french server a while back. Probably when it was in beta? How's the map?

Re: New map named Kodiak! Thoughts?

Haven't had a chance to play a legitimate match on it, although I loaded the beta before and explored it. I'm curious how the central portion of the map, with the large open but foliage filled biodome area will pan out for different lifeforms.

Looking forward to playing the map with you lovely folks though!
    Apotheosis

Comment

It's interesting. Had a number of long stalemates on it, though, but that could be due to the newness. It doesn't seem to foster nearly as much rath as eclipse does, so it might be more play as people get used to it.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

It's a great map, and very balanced actually. According to ns2stats, it's pretty close to 50/50 balance right now. For those still apprehensive about it, I encourage you to just give it a chance, learn the map. It's one of my favorite maps right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BeigeAlert View Post
          right now.
          Meaning, for the last month or so?
          remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
            Meaning, for the last month or so?
            Yea, and it'll probably stay up there for a while.

Comment

I hope they fix it so the vents are visible on the commander screen, there's a lot like that right now on the map.

Comment

Kodiak is a pretty fun map (much more enjoyable gameplay than Eclipse if comparing, imo) but they do need to work on some wayto accurately represent the foliage on the map overlay. Over the past months when I've played Kodiak it would never fail that I would take a route thinking that I would have decent LoS only to be blocked by foliage (btw, I've found it's super easy to lerk-spike the crap out of people in the big rooms covered in trees since alienvision "sort of" shows heat (...if you will) and all the marines have is a flashlight which will really just light up the trees in front of them and not see through the trees (...if you will).

Comment

My "data" may yet be too anecdotal, but Marines seem to have to work considerably harder than Aliens to hold nodes. All while Aliens generally need fewer nodes than Marines to survive.
                  Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

http://ns2stats.com/map/map/86

I guess the more games are played the more accurate this data becomes. Also people are still getting used to the map, so the balance may shift slightly in the future.

Comment

http://ns2stats.com/map/map/86

I guess the more games are played the more accurate this data becomes. Also people are still getting used to the map, so the balance may shift slightly in the future.

Comment

Kodiak is a great map, but it seems to have the same problem as Eclipse for Marines in that they do not have one more node close to their base. Aliens have the res advantage earlier, adding to their natural res advantage, and thereby disturbing balance in the game. Imho....

Mom
                        Games lubricate the body and the mind. - Benjamin Franklin
                        Ever since the beginning, to keep the world spinning, it takes all kinds of kinds. -Miranda Lambert

You're a 34, Mom. Thirty. Four.
                        Forever Perplexed

Comment

is there only the one set spawn for marine/alien? has anyone tested it with other spawns (rad?)?

Comment

FWIW, reminder: we can override/create any spawns on any map.
                            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Command spawn is difficult with knowledgeable marines. In fact, Command hive start was an often loss. I'd like to lock it at Hangar/MS personally.

The keys to this map are the control of observation and south biosphere. Marines hold either, and they hold the forward tech point.

Aliens have to keep marines out of Server. That place just plain sucks. Long hallway and necessary for cysting.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X