CompMod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CompMod

Have you guys seen this mod? Not sure I agree with all the balance changes, but some standouts for me:

1) Gorges can choose tunnel entrances/exits when placing them. Entrance is highlighted green on minimap for all players. Hoping this intuitive change would be part of the official game long ago.
    2) Grenade primer animation significantly reduced to make grenades less cumbersome. Reminds me of the same change made in official NS1, for the same reason.
    3) All alien upgrades are on the hive now, and individual upgrades are split for each lifeform to research. Can research multiple upgrades from individual hives at the same time. This makes more sense to me than the "upgrade on structure" approach.
    Full changelog:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...9ZLPyPwno/edit

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=241170965

EDIT:

After playing a bit more around with it, I also LOVE having metabolize back as fade, and the removal of vortex. It makes the fade feel more fun to play.
    Last edited by aeroripper; 05-10-2014, 02:35 PM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: CompMod

3) All alien upgrades are on the hive now, and individual upgrades are split for each lifeform to research. Can research multiple upgrades from individual hives at the same time. This makes more sense to me than the "upgrade on structure" approach.
    This is one I disagree with quite a bit. It's fine for comp, but it was changed to the current status quo because players would never get to use certain lifeform abilities. With the abilities all packaged together, it means that if they want bile, gorges get babblers too.

Metabolize, weightless mines, grenade throw animations, grenade entrance/exit tunnels... Those are all things I'd love to see.
    remi.D

Comment

Read through the changelog. Other than that change to how abilities are upgraded, I like most of the other changes and would be up for trying it.

7. Add 0.5 delay between marines using phasegates
      All I read there is: "Increase frequency of phasegates not teleporting you anywhere, while still playing the teleport effect"
      remi.D

Comment

Just reading all the notes, I'm not in favor of 95% of what it changes and it would change the overall feel of the game WAY too much from vanilla.

Comment

Originally posted by miragezors View Post
          Just reading all the notes, I'm not in favor of 95% of what it changes and it would change the overall feel of the game WAY too much from vanilla.
          Yea it is a bit different. Too bad we probably won't get anymore balance changes coming from UWE now that they've moved onto their new game, so it falls on the community to try out these things.

All I read there is: "Increase frequency of phasegates not teleporting you anywhere, while still playing the teleport effect"
          Yeah that was a bit curious.

Comment

I think a lot of the changes made are good for the game, but would personally be against adding it to the server just yet. We've been playing it in scrims/matches for at least a month now, and reception from the comp community has been generally positive, but it took time to get there, and only after quite a bit of debate within the community on why the changes were there, why some nerfs ended up being overall buffs (Onos being the biggest factor-- many numbers were nerfed but the fact that they move around like marines in the comp mod is such a big buff that the rest almost doesn't matter) etc. etc.

It's still going to see some pretty significant changes in the coming phases including a -possible- overhaul changing GLs and Flamethrowers to secondary weapons (replacing the pistol) and having their damage numbers, clip sizes, etc. appropriately rebalanced. I'd rather look at adding it once that second wave of changes has settled down and been tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Retraced View Post
              I think a lot of the changes made are good for the game, but would personally be against adding it to the server just yet. It's still going to see some pretty significant changes in the coming phases including a -possible- overhaul changing GLs and Flamethrowers to secondary weapons (replacing the pistol) and having their damage numbers, clip sizes, etc. appropriately rebalanced). I'd rather look at adding it once that second wave of changes has settled down and been tested.
              Just for clarity, I had no intention of this ever going on the server. They're way too many changes from vanilla for that. Wish I could pick and choose a little thing here and there, though. There's always NS2+ :D

Comment

Metabolize is definitely nice, and I'm really a fan of the comp mod onos. Makes me enjoy being the lifeform- movement feeling "right" is a big deal for me.

I don't think it would be very difficult for most to work with comp mod vs non comp mod servers (most of the big differences are Alien comm side, and even then, knowing upgrades are on the hive is easier to learn/remember than dropping structures for specific upgrades). It's more that I personally wouldn't want it to be around when it's still being significantly changed every ~3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                  There's always NS2+ :D
                  Ah, but that's a line that NS2+ must not cross--as much as Mendasp and I both would like to.
                  remi.D

Comment

Originally posted by blu.knight View Post
                    Ah, but that's a line that NS2+ must not cross--as much as Mendasp and I both would like to.
                    Agreed. Separate mods are better for the balance changes.

Comment

-Split Phantom back into 2 separate upgrades, Silence and Cloak. (shade hive will have 3 upgrades)

Shimmer camo with out silence will be seen as trash by most people who are playing competitive seriously and will (more or less) never get used by anyone, might as well remove it and keep it at 2 upgrades for consistency's sake or make camo 100% invis again while shift walking and standing still.

Seem like most players in the comp scene favor rine play these days rather than aliens and could care less if the alien gameplay/metagame gets **** on, as long as its fun to play marines.
                      .. but hey that's just my 2 cents.

<--------- is alien biased

Comment

For the record, much of the comp mod revolved around just the opposite-- it is made by Premier/Div 1 comp players, who are used to marines having a -huge- advantage vs aliens (see the World Cup finals for reference). Much of the mod is focused on giving Aliens a stronger game all around (including making the Fade scale into endgame instead of stagnating, and giving Onos the maneuverability to weave in and out of battle instead of moving around like a Boat).

Strong responses like that should probably have more weight behind them than one cherrypicked change...

-- Free Webs, Higher Babbler cap, and More Babblers per Egg, much more flexibility with moving around Gorge Tunnels
                        -- Reduce Pres costs for all lifeforms by 5, and starting Pres is 15 (this means that if someone flashes, they will be able to re-evolve sooner... very nice for Lerks especially)
                        -- Reduce onos Gore energy cost from 13 → 10, Charge energy cost from 38 → 30 (In exchange for a slight nerf to Gore damage, this establishes the concept of allowing Onos to weave in and out of fights, instead of being forced to run in for 2 seconds, and then hear the rest of the team scream "Get Out, Get Out, Get Out!", knowing that the lifeform lacked the ability to fight in sustained engagements)
                        -- Major buff to regen (buff to Lerk in particular)
                        -- Fades can now kill structures at a decent speed, once the structure's armor is gone
                        -- Metabolize & Advanced Metabolize allow Fades to stay a bit more competitive with marines with good aim and shotguns + weapons 3
                        -- Alien Upgrade (spurs, shells, veils) cost lowered by 5 each (in exchange for making alien structures a bit more expensive-- when spammed along with mucous they were incredibly powerful early game)

Generally speaking, the alien changes (including the nerfs) were made to encourage PvP combat, vs the PvE combat that those high division players seem to absolutely hate. So more of a focus is on giving alien commanders the ability to get fast alien lifeform abilities and upgrades, instead of forcing them to focus on tons of structure spam, always getting gorge upgrades first, etc. etc.

I'm in no way saying it's perfect, and again I don't really think it belongs on the server for at least another month + as it matures ... but alien biased players should be the ones looking forward to the mod the most.

Me? As a marine-biased player, I'll enjoy having the nearly infinite-fuel jetpacks and extra time with dropped weapons on the ground that the normal game currently provides, and the comp mod nerfs/rebalances.
                        Last edited by Retraced; 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM.

Comment

It's amusing to see how views change in such little time. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...ative-scene/p1
                          aka Roland tHTG

Comment

When I tried this on some other servers I did not like the cost and time changes to the alien infrastructure as a whole, took significantly more time for upgrades when the com only had one hive to research from and each item had to be done individually. I do like some of the alien ability changes (return of free webs, return of metabolize, increased usefulness of regeneration, etc...) though so I'm torn. I'll probably do some more playing of it on other servers and see overall how I like how it changes gameplay before I'd call it one way or the other, and more time for balancing changes etc. is definitely useful.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X