X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime-able Power Nodes

"This solves my favorite Noob Trap. Very nice" ~Benson

Features
    - Power node construction can not be completed unless there is a building that requires power or unless a player toggles their flashlight to override it and unlock it
    - There are informative banners that come up indicating how to unlock the node to help teach the new mechanic
    - Auto-Construct way points now prioritize build order correctly (Power to 99, build structure, finish off power)
    - MACs also prioritize priming a power node over building the structure
    - MACs will not finish the power until after a built structure requires power or unless the commander directly orders them to complete it after it is primed
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/disc...omment/2196321

Another mod.

Prevents the power from being completed before it is needed (unless you use an override) to help teach Rookies and to protect more experienced players from finishing a node by mistake. Also fixes all the auto-waypoint stuff.

I've been offered/asked to have this included in vanilla whenever there is another patch, but before then I want to make sure it shines. So, I'd like to get some feedback on my current implementation. I've already made some changes based on Wyz and Re-Traced's feedback, and I think it is better for it, but it would be great to get some more play time on it.
    remi.D

Re: Prime-able Power Nodes

Works good. The only thing you may consider adding is a brief "locked" sound when its primed, and an "unlocked" type sound when its ready to be built. I'm thinking of the old door unlock/locked sounds from the beta would work well.

EDIT: Also wouldn't mind testing this out on the server
    Last edited by aeroripper; 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Ah good idea. I'll look for those.

edit: Done and published.
      Last edited by blu.knight; 05-10-2014, 08:27 PM.
      remi.D

Comment

This is running on both servers.
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Changed the banners to always show the override option...
          remi.D

Comment

Going to push a change to make all teams able to see the primed-status of a node, which I think also will help solidify the mechanic in people's mind.

edit: Change is now live
            Last edited by blu.knight; 05-12-2014, 01:30 AM.
            remi.D

Comment

I like this and maybe I am just missing what the "override" option is but when I played last nigh and tried this feature and it would not let you finish the power until a power-able building was finished - if the power-able building like an armory is being constructed then you were still unable to finish the power node. I'd personally prefer it be as long as a power-able building is under construction (or if not feasible, then even dropped) then you can finish the node.

My reasoning for this is strategy - if you are rushing to get a construction up and powered knowing you are about to be rushed by aliens (and assuming the power node is not directly adjacent to your structure) it's nice to be able to have one or two ppl build and at the end before the construction is completed someone run over and cap the power while the other person(s) finish the building. That gives the one who completed power time to get back in to position for the coming alien horde. I can see being forced to finish the construction then cap power really screwing with timing in a few different scenarios in various rooms.

Just my .02 on one thing I noticed last night. Overall I really like this mod as it not only stops noobs from finishing useless power but it also makes it really really really easy and rather mindless to prime a node to 99.

Comment

Just wrote a lot post in the NS2 Discussion forums thread, but essence of it is:

Currently power node design is extremely esoteric. And although there are times you can get away with finishing a power node, the rule of thumb is to not do so. This mod makes the game communicate that better. There is one new bit of esoteric information added which you understood to be there, but not yet how to do--the override mechanic. You can always finish a power node by double-tapping the flashlight key, regardless of what else is going on.

I agree about how much easier it is to prime a node. I never had to worry about accidentally finishing it when building with other players. I also never had to say "don't finish the power" as com. I would socket a power node, go support someone else, and come back, and the node would be primed. It was pretty amazing.

I also saw a rookie (green name and all) go to build an extractor. He built the power to 99 first, then built the extractor, and finally finished the power. All without any prompting other than the game's auto way-points. :D
                remi.D

Comment

Aha so that is the override! Thanks and keep up the good work!

Comment

I may be the only one who feels this way but the added safety about this mod is what unsettles me. I like the MAC changes but in regards to the prime lock it is accomplishing two things. first it is putting a safety for us from new players. Sure, its something we all hate when a new player finishes power but its an excellent example to see if we can communicate and teach these new players. most don't do it twice after being told.

second, and i think more importantly:
                    Originally posted by FARVA View Post
                    but it also makes it really really really easy and rather mindless to prime a node to 99.
                    because priming nodes takes a focus to make sure you don't finish it, to me this is changing a part of the game. I realize that this is not a major divergence from vanilla game play but i usually don't like to stray far from the rest of the community.

perhap its the shift away from the community as a whole that i am concerned about. winorlose is already a major shock to players who have never seen it before, requiring verbal explanation. Here is another item we have to explain to players, which they will not see on other servers. I do not mean come off ungrateful towards your work remi. infact i love what you've done in helping add to the game previously. just my thoughts on it.

Comment

Taking the time and discomfort to share less-than-balloons-and-confetti feedback is a great way to express gratitude for effort, I say.
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                        Taking the time and discomfort to share less-than-balloons-and-confetti feedback is a great way to express gratitude for effort, I say.
                        Agreed. Thank you for your well-written feedback, Jack.
                        remi.D

Comment

And now to double post, to give proper response to your post, Jack.

Originally posted by jack^ View Post
                          Sure, its something we all hate when a new player finishes power but its an excellent example to see if we can communicate and teach these new players. most don't do it twice after being told.
                          My issue with this is not that we need to teach new players, but that we basically need to explain to new players that the game is lying to them. It's an awkward thing to try to communicate, and it's a lot more harmonious if our messaging and the game's messaging matches. That's not possible without the prime lock because there's no other way to get a rookie to build the power node first AND stop building before it is finished. This way they may still build the structure before priming the power, and we still have an opportunity to teach there, but the game's design assists in the communication.

Originally posted by jack^ View Post
                          because priming nodes takes a focus to make sure you don't finish it, to me this is changing a part of the game. I realize that this is not a major divergence from vanilla game play but i usually don't like to stray far from the rest of the community.
                          This is one thing I am somewhat concerned about. People encountering this mod generally seemed to "get it" (although they don't realize there is an override mechanic), but the mod is building in habits which, if you play on another server without the mod or if the mod is removed, would cause more people to finish the node by accident. I'm thinking of changing the prime % to 85 or so (Wyz should enjoy that) for the mod. When it goes in Vanilla it would be at 100%, but when people may play on servers without the mod I think it's currently teaching a bad habit. Or, maybe just playing some buzz noise at 85% would be sufficient to let people know the mod is active...

I also understand that removing some of the required focus from building the power node could reduce some of the suspense/dread while building (more attention can be spent listening for skulks), but I feel the gains outweigh the loss. This was not an effect I had realized this would have while designing it, so that has definitely been a learning point for me, and a great insight that you brought up.

Thanks again for the feedback, lets keep the discussion going. :)
                          remi.D

Comment

I agree with the fact that the way the game "teaches" new players the game is not always the "best" way to be playing the game (specifically in a competitive scene of any level). However, to me this feels like training wheels. And I'm not sure it will train them correctly. Like you said, it will just cause players on other servers to accidentally finish power because they will not be paying attention to the percentage. I think that even changing it to 85% won't help much because players will just hold E until it stops building.

More veteran players know the purpose of the mod and will just take advantage of the ease it provides. And in regards to your attention spent else wear, ie listening for skulks. Now are we providing an unintended advantage to marines? Think of the times as a skulk you are trying to sneak up on a unsuspecting marine building power. I can't say that the reason you successfully managed to get the drop on this marine is because he is paying too much attention to not finishing the node or what but it seems like an area, to me, that we should not be playing with.

I'm not necessary against this mod. infact, i like some of the ideas at its core. but until its part of the game i feel that is too differentiating to our server.

Comment

I think that many are overestimating the amount of concentration that even half decent marines spend on prepping a power node. The mod really isn't going to suddenly give marines eyes in the back of their heads or provide more awareness than they otherwise would have had. The major vulnerability in building a power node has always been that it forces you to put your back in the direction skulks are likely to approach, not the bizarre concept that we as marines are doing nothing but staring at the power percentage.

Don't get me wrong... I definitely dislike mods that change gameplay substantially from other servers-- it's why I was one of the ones that wasn't a fan of the grenade mod, and asked Mendasp to set a few of the NS2+ settings to off by default (most recently the weapon autopickup feature), even if they were QoL improvements. I just don't think that a "buff" to marines is a very valid/strong argument here (in fact, I was initially concerned that it was a slight nerf before Remi changed the override trigger). The training wheels warning for Rookies is a concern that I share though, and could definitely be an argument for removal (at least while it's not part of NS2+).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X