Prime-able Power Nodes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prime-able Power Nodes

Having now played with it a few times, I don't think it significantly changes the strategy, but does improve the 'default' indicated behavior by the game for new players and while it doesn't necessarily change the learning opportunity to explain why we are doing it this way it helps mitigate the need for more often than not coming across harshly as 'you did it wrong' instead of let me help you learn. I've no objection to keeping it.

Comment

Pushed a change to make the banners not show up unless you keep trying to build after prime
      remi.D

Comment

I agree that if someone new (or veteran that isn't thinking strategically) finishes a node, and has to be corrected, it is a negative interaction and there is resistance regardless of how softly we might do so. If someone asks a question about how the behavior of the game has changed, we have an opportunity where that person has opened up to receive something, and is receptive to that moreso than had the information not been requested in the first place.

I'm just annoyed that it ruined bot mode, because I can't get the mac to override the thing, and if they're stuck on it, the mac always gets eaten. Of course, that's just a symptom of the root problem of the bots being retarded (why do they go after unfinished power but not finished power? The world may never know).

Comment

Originally posted by TodPunk View Post
          I agree that if someone new (or veteran that isn't thinking strategically) finishes a node, and has to be corrected, it is a negative interaction and there is resistance regardless of how softly we might do so. If someone asks a question about how the behavior of the game has changed, we have an opportunity where that person has opened up to receive something, and is receptive to that moreso than had the information not been requested in the first place.
          That is very well said, and I do agree.

I'm just annoyed that it ruined bot mode, because I can't get the mac to override the thing, and if they're stuck on it, the mac always gets eaten. Of course, that's just a symptom of the root problem of the bots being retarded (why do they go after unfinished power but not finished power? The world may never know).
          You should be able to get the mac to finish the power by just telling the MAC to do so... If that's not working it is a bug and I will need to investigate.
          remi.D

Comment

I've removed the Prime-able Power Nodes mod from the server.
            [MENTION=11204]blu.knight[/MENTION], you let me know when to add it back, and let me know if you need any help with anything along the way.

It was spewing these client console errors in build 270. The errors stopped after I removed the mod:

Code:
            Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_docking.level
            Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
            Loading took 52.767621462076 seconds
            [254.507] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: lua/Client.lua:612: attempt to call global 'GetAndSetVariantOptions' (a nil value)
            [Client] Script Error #1: lua/Client.lua:612: attempt to call global 'GetAndSetVariantOptions' (a nil value)
                Call stack:
                #1: lua/Client.lua:612
                    deltaTime = 0.69672983884811
                    player = nil
            [254.549] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: lua/Client.lua:612: attempt to call global 'GetAndSetVariantOptions' (a nil value)
            [Client] Script Error #2: lua/Client.lua:612: attempt to call global 'GetAndSetVariantOptions' (a nil value)
                Call stack:
                #1: lua/Client.lua:612
                    deltaTime = 0.16517451405525
                    player = nil
            [254.553] ClientGame::UpdateWorld : Error: lua/Client.lua:612: attempt to call global 'GetAndSetVariantOptions' (a nil value)
            Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Should be good now.

I really should make this mod more resilient so I don't need to update it every single patch. :P
              remi.D

Comment

This mod is back on both servers.
                Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X